how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

[ALL] Cox Online Backup Support/Question

Anyone here have any experience with the Cox online backup that is included with our service?

I activated it last night (and got confirmation email) - and went to install the client tonight. I'm unable to log into the client using my Cox email/password.

Error: "Unable to connect to the server. Check the network configuration of your PC."

I found the server name that it wants to connect to when playing with the app and I can ping/tracert to it just fine. I can obviously get to the internet just fine - no connectivity problems.

Cox tech support verified that I was using my Cox user/pass, and that I had tried disabling windows firewall as a solution. After that, they were stumped and suggested I call the "Cox Store" and provided a number of 888-556-1162, which is a non working number. I'm not sure how a Cox retail store could help me.

Anyone have any experience with this tool, or the proper support channels tonight? It's too late for me to play call center roulette and find someone who knows the app, so hopefully someone here has an idea.

Thanks
BC

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Problem solved. I found a different number on the website and called it. I was forced to leave a message but got a call back about 2 hours later.

Turns out local support was wrong, the user name is only "username", not "username@cox.net".

It would make much more sense if the software gave a message stating invalid user/pass, instead of saying to check network connectivity.

hotwasabi

join:2008-06-15
Westerville, OH

What do you think of the backup service? I find it extremely slow when uploading and I have Ultimate internet too.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02

I haven't started yet - I need to organize some folders first before I do.

I'll try to report back later this week and let everyone know what I think of it.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by bchandler02:

I haven't started yet - I need to organize some folders first before I do.

I'll try to report back later this week and let everyone know what I think of it.

All these online backup services throttle[pay and free]
its not cox, its the service provider.

dfghj

@cox.net
reply to hotwasabi

I use the Cox Business backup (I don't know if residential is the same one, it's from Mozy).

I know under the advanced settings there is an option to set your upload speed limit. I set it to max on the initial backup (which I ran overnight) and then limited the further ones so the backups don't kill my network.

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to bchandler02

I have used it on and off the last few months. Agreed the upload could be better and I wish you could purchase additional storage for a small extra fee (Premier = 50 GB, wish I could buy more).

But unfortunately to get more storage, you have to upgrade tiers. Can't swing the Ultimate tier at this point in time

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02

I finally got around to getting my folders sorted and cleaned and just started the backup. For 20.1GB, it is saying 16 hours. We'll see how this goes tomorrow, gonna leave it running with a few other things overnight.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Definately a slow process. I am ~25 hours in and it has only uploaded 9.2 of about 21GB.

Otherwise, no major issues to report so far. I'd like to get rid of the stupid drag and drop icon on the desktop, but I just haven't messed with it yet to figure out if there is a way.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02

I've come to the conclusion that the app sucks. It randomly locks files (so they can't be deleted) - even outside of the directories it is backing up. I'm about over it and will just go back to a local backup or maybe pay for an online service, not sure yet.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

I like Crashplan, I back up to other family member's computers and they back up to me. Works great and free.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com