ohdan

join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

My Butt Hurts

... from all of that driving over the past 10 days.

Boy, is California north-south big! We took the 101 all the way to Oregon. There is such beautiful country up that way. I've never seen the Redwoods but, really, if you've seen one you've seen them all. It was nice to camp under them, though. We stopped in San Francisco and hit the obligatory tourist stops. Alcatraz was cool as was Chinatown. Fisherman's Wharf was kind of cool. I didn't have the time to hang out in the Castro District. Honest. And I swear no one owns a car there; everyone jogs, walks, cycles, rides trolleys or the buses. (Say what? The buses?)

Oh, and I didn't see any commies but I know they were there.

The coast is, of course, wonderful. We hiked in a few miles to one virtually untouched beach. It was windy as hell but I didn't mind.

And, to give RR dude props, Mendocino is a beautiful county although the town we stopped in reminded me of Twin Peaks (friendly in a creepy way).

We stopped in Santa Barbara on the way back to revisit our wedding place and to check out the mission. I gave a Swiss woman a California history lesson in French. That was painful.

We made the mistake of camping in Carpinteria's state park. Good god it was like a trailer park. Not to mention that "Carpinteria" sounds like a blood borne disease itself. Never again.

Anyway, we have TONS of pictures. I might upload a few if I get a chance.

My

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1

Where did you camp at the Northern most part of your journey?

Pics would be great.

ohdan

join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

We stayed at the Crescent City KOA. I'll get more pics later. BTW... the pic above had a complete caption but apparently I need to escape the quotes. My wife took it and called it my John Muir impression. In reality my knee was in pain.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

So you guys had an RV? Or did you stay in one of their cabins?
I'd love to see pics.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to ohdan

Fishermen's Wharf is a complete tourist trap.

Chinatown have too narrow of a sidewalk that only two people can fit side by side.

The Castro is not like it used to be.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to ohdan

I'll be joining the sore fanny club next week...
Daughter and I are going College Campus Visiting throughout the state and up into the Pacific NW. While I prefer the local JC, she's got her mind set on a 4-year school.

...Maybe the fanny won't be so sore once the wallet is empty (?)

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

I take it she is going into her senior year in High School?

Waldothe3rd
Premium
Sun N Sand

What gave it away...? The gray hair or the high blood pressure?

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

I just wanted to confirm as I just went through that ordeal over the past 10 Months.

If you need tips, I could write a novel on the experience.
Some stuff I learned:

• Weighted GPA is useless
• High GPA is good for entry (over 3.2)
• SAT/ACT test scores are good for $$$$$ (internal merit scholarships)
• Apply NOW for external/3rd party scholarships
• Apply to as many as you can find. Although there are a ton out there, you will find she is only eligible for about 3% of them.
• Have the applications to the target schools ready to go before they begin accepting, and in at early admission acceptance (this affects $$$ as well, in that internal aid is limited)
• If she's a good student (3.0 or better) forget the JC option, it isn't cheaper and it has other hidden issues.
• Private colleges have way more internal aid available than public Universities. Don't be scared of the initial sticker shock.
• If she plays any sport worth a damn, she could be able to write her own ticket. (But it may be at a College not on the West Coast and their is no rational reason to limit by geography anyway).
• Apply to at least 8 schools (at about $50 a pop per application, it adds up, but is worth it as you will want to play one school against the other aid wise)
• When you see that non-resident fee add-on for colleges out of State, don't freak out. There are ways around that.
• When you visit campuses, meet the dean of the college (her desired Major), the Chair of the department, the Chair or VP of "Diversity", ect. Take names/numbers, and especially emails. These people have access to their own discretionary financial aid...aid you will never know about. If these people are not there when you visit, you're wasting your time. After about 2-3 campus visits, you will see they are all about the same.

I could go on. The above represents about 5% of the info I learned.

Here is something that is very important as well: What's her desired major?

I'll save us some time. If her major isn't in a STEMM discipline, you're probably wasting your money with college.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

So I googled STEMM and got a heavy metal band. What does it stand for?

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

I actually added the extra "M". You should have seen this: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEM_fields

Basically:

Science
Technology
Engineering
Math
Medicine (I added that one)

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to ohdan

Out of state has better class schedules. In state figure close to 6 years to graduate.
More money in private schools if you qualify.

In state UC was $30,000 total, rough cost to us $24000 plus whatever increases they come up with every 6 months.
Boston University $56,000 our cost $18000, saving $6,000 over UC.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
Sun N Sand
reply to dogma

Wow - Good info dogma See Profile! Thank you!
Let's just say my daughter will not be a nuclear physicist, so the JC option is there for us. This run is just to see the campuses and catch the vibe. We'll probably hit her favorite two or three next month (and now that will include a sit-down with the Dean!)

Several Cal State campuses have withdrawn applications for the Fall 2013 semester for freshmen (something about $$$) so that will just increase the competition elsewhere.

Your thorough info is appreciated! -W