Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

[Vista] SFC behavior

I was asked to look at a Dell laptop that would sometimes take "a long time" to boot and sometimes the screen would "flash a lot" when booting. I ran SFC. It fixed files. Now the tiny disk (60GB) has almost no free space.
Is this expected behavior, file space lost when files get repaired?

Windows Vista Home Basic if it matters
--
Of course I can keep secrets. It's the people I tell them to that can't keep them.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
From an admin elevated command prompt, enter this ;

chkdsk c: /f

The computer will inform you that the drive is locked and ask if you want to run Check Disk on next boot. Tell it yes, reboot, and let it run. That will verify that the free space is being reported correctly and fix any errors.
--
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to vaxvms
Did the Check Disk using CHKDSK C: /F It took less time than it did to shutdown. Nothing changed.
So I try CHKDSK C: /F /R It hangs in stage 4, "verifying file data" (338 of 155312 files processed) It's been stalled here for 30+ minutes. I'll let it run for a few hours hoping something happens.
The Windows restoration disk is nowhere to be found.
--
Of course I can keep secrets. It's the people I tell them to that can't keep them.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

2 edits
If it stays on file # 338 for more than 10 minutes then you likely have imminent disk failure and further stressing it may cause it to completely croak.

Also try a disk cleaner like CCleaner »www.piriform.com/CCLEANER to delete all temporary files. Then delete all of the system restore points. There could easily be several gigs tied up between those two.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to vaxvms
I ran CCleaner (with CCenhancer). There was plenty of free space (at least 15GB) before I ran SFC. It was after SFC finished that all the free space disappeared. When I ran CCleaner after SFC, there wasn't wasn't much to be cleaned.
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
The activity of system file checker would not result in 15 GB of consumed space. The entire Vista operating system is only 4 - 5 Gigs. All SFC does is repair / re-install damaged files. There are other issues afoot to explain the missing 15 GB.

Did you disable System restore so as to delete all restore points ? System restore is programmed by default to consume up to 12% of the hard disk space. That would be 7.2 GB worth of restore points and it is likely maxed out.

I have used some folder utilities that can give a better idea of where the space is being consumed, but it might be best to consider a new higher capacity hard drive. There are numerous free utilities available that will completely clone the old HD to a new HD.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to vaxvms
I used Windirstat to see what was filling the disk. It turns out that the pagefile was 24.4GB! Just a bit excessive for a laptop with 2GB RAM.
I don't know what changed it but I'd love to know. All I know is that it wasn't me. Could SFC have somehow been responsible?
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
Sure does sound suspicious now that you mention it. »www.google.com/search?num=100&hl···ac5dZ-go

I have never tried to reset the page file. Hopefully you will get some more input here in the forum.
--