join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Lauriel

Re: motherboard caught fire after system battery replaced

Not uncommon? OK, if you say so. Glad I retired. My choice would have been to leave it in the case. If that wasn't an option then at least use a switch taken out of an old case. That is my opinion anyway. For what it's worth, there is no CMOS jumper on the motherboard you stated you have (Intel D945pvs). There is a three pin BIOS Configuration Jumper located near the battery. Normal BIOS is jumper on pins 1-2, Configure BIOS is jumper on 2-3 and no jumper sets BIOS recovery mode. I fail to see how this would cause a short and fire.

Oh well, good luck with building your next machine. Replacing a older motherboard these days often means new everything. New memory most likely. If you have EIDE hard drives, CD drives make sure the new motherboard supports EIDE, some do not. Some motherboards no longer support PS2 for keyboard or mouse either.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Lauriel
Premium
join:2003-05-25
Sacramento, CA
When I said CMOS jumper, the three pins to which you were referring is exactly what I was talking about. I called it CMOS jumper. On the board it's referred to as CLR CMOS. I do realize that the manual refers to it as BIOS Configuration Jumper. (I really did read the manual.) I do know what the normal and the clear settings are. (I have both the board and the manual in front of me right now.) I know it was my error to start the machine up with the pins in the wrong configuration. A few folks do think that this could definitely have caused the short/fire, especially since the board already appeared to have issues. Whether it did or not, I guess I'll never know 100%.

Anyway, as I said, it's not my main machine. My main machine is an X58 setup, which is obviously not compatible with a D945 setup, for example. So, I do know that if I wanted to upgrade the board that went down that I'd be looking at basically building from scratch. I know how quickly compatibility changes as technology progresses LOL. But I have been able to locate some new compatible-with-my-RAM-and-CPU boards (yes, brand new in box) at our local large electronics store. So, all is not lost if I choose to rebuild what I've got with compatible (new) parts. They're still out there.

Thanks for your input.