uniqs
share rss forum feed

CharterEric
Premium
join:2009-02-06
Saint Peters, MO

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15

Re: [HSI] Charter will No longer support Customer Owned modems?!

Good Morning All,

We have been monitoring this thread for a few days now, and there is definitely a lot of interesting information. I am glad to see there is some excitement building, as well as some valid questions. The problem with leaked information is it is rarely totally accurate. Let me start by saying, for those that have not seen any of the other threads, we will be launching some new pricing and packages on June 26th. Without a doubt our new packages are based around the value of the Triple Play. That being said, If you ever have specific questions and want the correct answer, please head on over to the Charter Direct Forum and create a new thread. We are always happy to help you. As Clover69 pointed out, we may not always be able to provide the answer right then, but I think most of you understand the need for data integrity.

Let’s talk equipment, as part of the new pricing and packaging, we have decided to include the modem at no additional cost to the customer. As a result, we will no longer provision customer owned modems on our network when a customer signs up for Charter Internet service. If you are an existing Charter Internet customer and own your own modem, and you are content to stay in your current package and pricing, you can continue to use your modem. If you decide you would like to come to the new pricing, at that point, we will issue you a new Charter modem. We made this decision for a variety of reasons. 1) We want every Charter Internet customer to have the best on-line experience possible. 2) We thoroughly test every modem that we issue to customers to ensure they will perform optimally on our network. 3) By providing the modems, we can ensure that they all have the most up-to-date firmware. 4) As technological advancements are made, we can make sure every customer’s modem is upgraded accordingly.

As others have indicated, with the release of the new pricing, we are temporarily pausing further WiFi deployment under our current model. What wasn’t mentioned is we are pausing it to take a fresh look and gain new perspectives on our product offerings. If you currently have Charter WiFi and choose to remain in your current package, we will continue to support your home network and the equipment. If you are a Charter WiFi customer and want to come to our new pricing and packages, in certain instances, you will be able to maintain the use of the Charter issued Gateway. It all hinges on if a truck roll is required for the change, ergo a new line of business is added or you are moving from analog to digital. This is a temporary change and is not a signal that Charter is exiting the WiFi business. We know that it is an important service to provide our customers and we will begin to provide it again in the future.

I could address the DVR topic, but I think this link does an excellent job, so I’ll just allow you to review the new TV Packages: »charter.com/tvpackages.

What is not addressed in that link, is Multi-Room DVR, so we will provide some details around that here. Like Charter WiFi, as of June 26th, we will no longer offer a Multi-Room DVR (MR DVR). It is our belief that the best Charter TV experience involves a fully functioning DVR in every room. Secondary receivers of MR DVR service do not allow you to pause or rewind live TV, nor schedule or manage recordings. All of these functions are available with individual DVRs, maximizing your control. In addition, you have increased hard drive storage space throughout your home. With MR DVR you only have one hard drive. For those that have visited the link above and done the math, putting a DVR in four rooms will be less expensive than having a 4 room MR DVR. For those of you that currently have MR DVR, like the others changes, if you stay in your current pricing and package, you will be able to keep your MR DVR. If you want to migrate into a new package with our new pricing, we will swap your multi-room receivers for fully functioning DVRs. We are exploring options to provide a service that would allow for content sharing, without sacrificing other core DVR functionality.

Going forward, we will not offer Charter Phone as a standalone product. For those that are unaware, we are not the Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC) in any of the markets where we provide telephone service, and in most cases we are one of several Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLEC). So, we are often replacement for existing phone service. Phone is a tremendous value as part of a Double or Triple Play. Not only will you get Unlimited Long Distance within the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, and Canada, you will also get 13 awesome calling featuring with the option to add more, like Distinctive Ring.

I want to close by reiterating that if you are an existing customer, your service will remain unchanged. You can keep your current pricing, package, and equipment.

As always, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact us in the Charter Direct Forum: »/forum/charterdirect.

Thanks, Eric

cloves69

join:2004-01-11
Midwest
said by CharterEric:

I could address the DVR topic, but I think this link does an excellent job, so Ill just allow you to review the new TV Packages: »charter.com/tvpackages.

Thanks, Eric

This is the best part of it, price cut in my DVRs!

kruser
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO
reply to CharterEric
said by CharterEric:

Good Morning All,

We have been monitoring this thread for a few days now, and there is definitely a lot of interesting information. .....

As always, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact us in the Charter Direct Forum: »/forum/charterdirect.

Thanks, Eric

Thanks for clarifying everything Eric.

CharterEric
Premium
Saint Peters, MO
You are welcome. Sorry it took us so long to jump in, we just wanted to make sure we had all the proper approvals and were certain the information was correct, as to not further muddy the waters.

CharterEric
Premium
Saint Peters, MO
reply to cloves69
said by cloves69:

said by CharterEric:

I could address the DVR topic, but I think this link does an excellent job, so Ill just allow you to review the new TV Packages: »charter.com/tvpackages.

Thanks, Eric

This is the best part of it, price cut in my DVRs!

While I think there are many really awesome things about the new pricing and packages, I am super stoked about the DVR pricing. I only have 1 DVR currently and no box on my secondary TV, but I can assure you it will be a DVR very soon.

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA
Thanks CharterEric for taking the time to post as much as you were able to. I really appreciate the efforts of all you Charter Direct folks. You are 200% better than 1-800-Get-Charter and even better than a trip to the local office.

That being said, the information on the DVR program is woefully short on details.

First, I know that Charter deploys several models of DVRs, not just in different areas but within an area (currently at least 3 in my area).

Second, Charter is non-committal on DVR capacity or on how many tuners you get, and will not commit on what DVR you will get. What the tech has in the truck does not cut it.

How is this going to affect those of us with TiVo or those planning on getting a TiVo?

Thanks
--
DadCooks
(aka Eric)

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
reply to CharterEric
Thank you for the clarification Eric. If my owned Motorola SB6120 D3 modem was to fail, will I be allowed to switch in a replacement D3 modem or will I be forced to pick one up from a local office?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
You can switch in another DOCSIS 3.0 modem of your own.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

CharterEric
Premium
Saint Peters, MO

1 edit
reply to DadCooks
said by DadCooks:

Thanks CharterEric for taking the time to post as much as you were able to. I really appreciate the efforts of all you Charter Direct folks. You are 200% better than 1-800-Get-Charter and even better than a trip to the local office.

How is this going to affect those of us with TiVo or those planning on getting a TiVo?

Thanks

Hello Eric,

I think I may have determined a key issue. The number for Charter is 888-GetCharter. I am not sure who you have been calling, but I can understand why they wouldn't be as helpful as my team . All kidding aside, if you ever feel like you are not getting the support you should from any one at Charter, please send us a message in the Direct Forum. The entire Charter team is very focused on the customer experience, and if we are not delivering that, we need to make sure proper coaching and training happens to ensure that we are going forward.

I do understand your concerns about our DVRs. One of our focuses is to provide a uniform experience across all the Digital TVs in a customer's home. We are looking to reduce the variety of DVRs in specific markets and have already started making progress is some of the areas we provide service.

While not listed on »charter.com/TvPackages. There are no changes to Charter CableCARDS. They will remain $2 per card, and we will continue to support the installation in PVRs, such as TiVo.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional specific questions, please hit us up at charterdirect.

Thanks!

CharterEric
Premium
Saint Peters, MO
reply to bshelly
said by bshelly:

If my owned Motorola SB6120 D3 modem was to fail, will I be allowed to switch in a replacement D3 modem or will I be forced to pick one up from a local office?

If you are wanting to switch to our new pricing and packaging we would require you to get a modem from Charter. You have a variety of options available to you. We could ship it to you. You could pick it up from a Sales and Service Center, or you do have the option of having a Technician install it.

If you choose to remain with your current package and pricing, we would encourage you to switch to the new pricing, so you can get the modem replaced for free...I mean why not get a free D3 modem? BUT, if you are totally opposed to coming to the new pricing and packaging, at this time, you would be able to self-install a replacement D3 Modem.

I hope that helps. If you've got any other questions, please connect with us in »/forum/charterdirect. When we start getting into specific scenarios, it is often better to address them on an individual basis.

Thanks, Eric

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA
reply to CharterEric
@CharterEric -- I like your humor. Yes, I dial 888, not 800; in fact it is on "speed dial". But as I alluded to, when I want a real answer real fast, the first time, the Charter Direct Forum cannot be beat.

The reason I mentioned the DVRs is that I recently inquired at my local office about getting 2 DVRs and they would not guarantee that they would both be the same, or what capacity they would be.

CharterEric
Premium
Saint Peters, MO
said by DadCooks:

@CharterEric -- I like your humor.

The reason I mentioned the DVRs is that I recently inquired at my local office about getting 2 DVRs and they would not guarantee that they would both be the same, or what capacity they would be.

Thanks!

Can you please hit us up in the Direct Forum for the second part? I do not want to cloud the thread with specifics, but I definitely want to address that issue.

Thanks!

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to CharterEric
said by CharterEric:

If you are wanting to switch to our new pricing and packaging we would require you to get a modem from Charter. You have a variety of options available to you. We could ship it to you. You could pick it up from a Sales and Service Center, or you do have the option of having a Technician install it.

If you choose to remain with your current package and pricing, we would encourage you to switch to the new pricing, so you can get the modem replaced for free...I mean why not get a free D3 modem? BUT, if you are totally opposed to coming to the new pricing and packaging, at this time, you would be able to self-install a replacement D3 Modem.

I don't get the logic of this decision.
If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

As for arguing about a "free" modem, let's just say that I am skeptical of anything that claims to be free. Guess we will see shortly what the deal is, and when the next round of price hikes come along (which of course won't have anything to do with supplying "free" modems ).

On the FCC website, it states
quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
said by Zappa2000:

If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

You can keep using your current modem.

quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Zappa2000
I asked in direct about the following. If I own the same exact modem Charter is handing out at my local office. Would I still need to get a modem from the local office? Short answer. Yes. That makes zero sense to me and actually cost Charter more money by having to order more modems for customers. I will be able to continue using mine until my promos are up. After. I can choose to pay the old non promo prices. Which are insanely high btw. Or get into the new pricing system coming up with plans. I have phone and internet through Charter. So, yeah. Gonna have to go into a bundle now to keep our phone. We have CenturyLink but they are HORRIBLE for internet and phone. Plus they don't even come close to what Charter offers speed wise for internet. They only offer 1.5mb/896Kbps DSL. Compared to Ultra 100 (100mb/5mb) I have with Charter. Screw that crap!

anono

@charter.com
reply to Zappa2000

quote:

You are able to use your own modem, you just won't be able to get a new promo. If you wan't a new promo then you will have to use charters modem.

That's how I understand it.

Axekick

join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
reply to CharterEric
CharterEric & Charter Direct Team Members,

Thanks so much for the clarifications here. I just finally got around to upgrading to a Docsis 3.0 for myself and two family members less than 2 weeks ago(I paid for all three)

Then I was reading that we could no longer use our own modems and was furious. And as you said . . leaked information is rarely totally accurate so I am glad this wasn't.

The Charter Direct Team is as efficient as any customer service I have ever dealt with in my life!

Much appreciated.

Zappa2000

Kalamazoo, MI
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Zappa2000:

You can keep using your current modem.

Yes, as long as you don't get a new plan...

quote:

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

Who knows, Cisco / Zoom / anyone who is making modems... and of course there are the class action lawyers, if they smell $$$ you can bet they will go for it.
I doubt a individual would do anything more than complain to the FCC, but you never know.

I did a quick check of the prices, and they haven't updated them yet.

CharterJosh
Premium
join:2009-02-05
Chesterfield, MO
kudos:6
reply to Zappa2000
said by Zappa2000:

As for arguing about a "free" modem, let's just say that I am skeptical of anything that claims to be free. Guess we will see shortly what the deal is, and when the next round of price hikes come along (which of course won't have anything to do with supplying "free" modems ).

quote:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging. The way our new pricing and packaging structure was designed, Charter will provide the modem at no additional cost. The modem is a significant piece of the delivery of a great experience, and we want all of our customers to have the best possible experience. The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

WeALLbundle

@charter.com

2 edits

My entertainment packages:
Charter HSI 2-yr contract $35/month
Voip.ms VOIP $1 for phone line, $0.01 per min (under $5/month total)
Netflix Streaming $8
Hulu (free)
OTA HD (free)

Total: Under $50/month total.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to CharterJosh
said by CharterJosh:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging.

TriplePlay? LOL! Thanks but NO THANKS. I love my DirecTV HD.

»hdsource.txnj.net/directvhdgui/

Charter has a horrible HD line up and a crappy SLOW SD GUI on their boxes.

said by CharterJosh:

The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

This is complete made up fiction. If it were true there would be no reason to have a DOCSIS STANDARD.

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS /dkss/) is an international telecommunications standard that permits the addition of high-speed data transfer to an existing cable TV (CATV) system. It is employed by many cable television operators to provide Internet access (see cable Internet) over their existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) infrastructure.

Are you saying Charter is going to stop using DOCSIS and use something proprietary?
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to WeALLbundle
said by WeALLbundle :

My entertainment packages:
Charter HSI 2-yr contract $35/month
Voip.ms VOIP $1 for phone line, $0.01 per min (under $5/month total)
Netflix Streaming $8
Hulu (free)
OTA HD (free)

Total: Under $50/month total.

Mine are a bit higher by choice.

$80/mo DirecTV Choice XTRA with HD.
$20/mo 15/3 Charter Express Internet
and my MagicJack home phone comes to $2.50/mo (paid yearly)
and my Sprint cell phone is $48/mo unlimited.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

This is complete made up fiction. If it were true there would be no reason to have a DOCSIS STANDARD.

Most cable companues keep an updated list of approved modems that they have tested and verified to work on their network. Some make the cut others don't for various reasons. There has been threads on this site over the years in various cable ISP forums that have showed certain modem models do not play well on certain networks, despite being DOCSIS certified.

I can't say I agree with what charter is doing though. It seems they are going in the direction that Time Warner did for all these years up until just recently. Now TW has an approved list and allows customer owned modems if it is on the list. BUT...TW did not allow customer owned modems since I think the beginning of there internet products and nothing came of it FCC wise and the world didnt end. So I am not sure what you think you will accomplish. Basically, most if not all people didnt care. You sign up, you are given the modem for no "extra" charge. I suppose in hindsight Charter should have had the policy since day 1 as changing now is causing such an uproar.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
I would think the Motorola and Cisco DOCSIS 3.0's would definitely be on the approved list with them being to two major and most expensive brands.

From Charter's own site:

What cable modems are compatible with Charter Internet?

If you prefer to own your own equipment and not leasing from Charter you can also obtain a new modem through 3rd party retailers. Any 3rd party device must be at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant for Internet Lite or Express and DOCSIS 3.0 compliant for Internet Plus or higher.

Charter Internet subscribers are required to use a compliant device in order to use the Charter network without interruption. Devices identified as noncompliant are subject to intermittent or no service due to network updates. If you lease Charter equipment or subscribe to Charter Home networking we continue to provide customers with the most up-to-date equipment, compliant with our network, to ensure services work as intended.

Charter Internet is compatible with most cable modems including:

Ambit (Ubee)
Motorola
Netgear
Cisco/Scientific Atlanta
SMC

Charter Internet subscribers are required to use a compliant device in order to use the Charter network without interruption. Devices identified as non compliant are subject to intermittent or no service due to network updates. Charter continues to provide customers with the most up-to-date equipment, compliant with our network, to ensure services work as intended.

Customers attempting to download Charter Security Suite with a non compliant modem may not be allowed to install services and may receive a message their modem is non compliant.

Any device considered non compliant must be replaced with a compliant device.

A non compliant modem list is in place to help prevent the non compliant modems and gateways from being installed on the Charter network. Modems and gateways identified as non compliant include devices that are phased out due to older versions of firmware that are unable to receive updates.

We strongly recommend you replace your equipment with a DOCSIS 3 Compliant device which ensures it will work on all our Internet Packages and helps "future-proof" against technology advancements.

If you own your own equipment and are not leasing from Charter you can also obtain a new modem through 3rd party retailers. Any 3rd party device must be at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant for Internet Lite or Express and DOCSIS 3.0 compliant for Internet Plus or higher.

In-case you didn't know you can swap out your modem without even calling Charter by going to »install.charter.com
--

Zappa2000

Kalamazoo, MI
reply to CharterJosh
said by CharterJosh:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging. The way our new pricing and packaging structure was designed, Charter will provide the modem at no additional cost. The modem is a significant piece of the delivery of a great experience, and we want all of our customers to have the best possible experience. The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

Triple play is phone + TV + HSI, so your saying we now get 2 devices for "free" (cable modem + phone modem) because of the new pricing structure, and there is no chance at all that the customer can save Charter money by already having a DOCSIS 3.0 modem ? Or are we talking about one of those combo units that have phone + HSI, and that is the "free" modem for the triple play stuff ?