All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kittyzmom2
join:2008-06-10
Suffern, NY

kittyzmom2 to More Fiber

to More Fiber

Re: Need wifi N now that I have 75/35...best way to get it?

said by More Fiber:

I went with the Trendnet Easy-N Upgrader. It's a 802.11n WAP that supports up to 300Mbps. Just plug it into a spare port on your router. No bridging necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will any brand 802.11n WAP work pretty much the same way...just plug into a spare port? I've never used one of them. Sounds much simpler than what I thought I had to do (and cheaper!)
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Some are also routers so you have to manually (or perhaps through a setup wizard) put them in bridge mode so they won't hand out IP numbers and cause some internal network "issues" (that you may or may not even notice). I have an Apple Airport Extreme setup in bridge mode that works great. All my other products are Apple as well, so it made sense to go that route for me. Sounds like More Fiber's device would be quite easy to setup.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to kittyzmom2

Premium Member

to kittyzmom2
said by kittyzmom2:

Thanks for the suggestion. Will any brand 802.11n WAP work pretty much the same way...just plug into a spare port? I've never used one of them. Sounds much simpler than what I thought I had to do (and cheaper!)

There is a wide variations in actual performance between different manufactures "N" products, in your case stay with something that's proven, the TEW-637AP is very widely used and has been reported as a top performer

The only thing you will need to do is enable encryption and set a pass-code, a true AP is the simplest of all to setup

Omvlsd
@verizon.net

Omvlsd to kes601

Anon

to kes601
I current use a TEW-637AP directly connected to my AT Rev. F. The AP works great, it has better range than the AT's built-in AP. Make sure that the wireless channel number on the TEW-637AP is different than the AT's, to avoid a conflict.

Speaking of conflict ...

I have a second AT Rev. F that I would like to use. I would like to put it in a basement room because the signal from the TEW-637AP is rather weak here. The basement room has coax only. I have a combination of wired and wireless devices in the basement, so I would like to use the second AT as both a switch and an AP. Does anybody know how to configure both ATs so they are cooperative and non-conflicting? Thank you all.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by Omvlsd :

I current use a TEW-637AP directly connected to my AT Rev. F. The AP works great, it has better range than the AT's built-in AP. Make sure that the wireless channel number on the TEW-637AP is different than the AT's, to avoid a conflict.

Speaking of conflict ...

I have a second AT Rev. F that I would like to use. I would like to put it in a basement room because the signal from the TEW-637AP is rather weak here. The basement room has coax only. I have a combination of wired and wireless devices in the basement, so I would like to use the second AT as both a switch and an AP. Does anybody know how to configure both ATs so they are cooperative and non-conflicting? Thank you all.

The FAQ explains how to setup the second Actiontec in Bridge Mode:

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Edit: I see I was too slow on the Post Button, More Fiber beat me to it.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Omvlsd

MVM

to Omvlsd
said by Omvlsd :

Does anybody know how to configure both ATs so they are cooperative and non-conflicting?

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?