uniqs

CharterEric
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
Saint Peters, MO

CharterEric to kruser

Premium Member

to kruser

Re: [HSI] Charter will No longer support Customer Owned modems?!

You are welcome. Sorry it took us so long to jump in, we just wanted to make sure we had all the proper approvals and were certain the information was correct, as to not further muddy the waters.
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly

Premium Member

Thank you for the clarification Eric. If my owned Motorola SB6120 D3 modem was to fail, will I be allowed to switch in a replacement D3 modem or will I be forced to pick one up from a local office?

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

You can switch in another DOCSIS 3.0 modem of your own.

CharterEric
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
Saint Peters, MO

CharterEric to bshelly

Premium Member

to bshelly
said by bshelly:

If my owned Motorola SB6120 D3 modem was to fail, will I be allowed to switch in a replacement D3 modem or will I be forced to pick one up from a local office?

If you are wanting to switch to our new pricing and packaging we would require you to get a modem from Charter. You have a variety of options available to you. We could ship it to you. You could pick it up from a Sales and Service Center, or you do have the option of having a Technician install it.

If you choose to remain with your current package and pricing, we would encourage you to switch to the new pricing, so you can get the modem replaced for free...I mean why not get a free D3 modem? BUT, if you are totally opposed to coming to the new pricing and packaging, at this time, you would be able to self-install a replacement D3 Modem.

I hope that helps. If you've got any other questions, please connect with us in »/fo ··· erdirect. When we start getting into specific scenarios, it is often better to address them on an individual basis.

Thanks, Eric
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

said by CharterEric:

If you are wanting to switch to our new pricing and packaging we would require you to get a modem from Charter. You have a variety of options available to you. We could ship it to you. You could pick it up from a Sales and Service Center, or you do have the option of having a Technician install it.

If you choose to remain with your current package and pricing, we would encourage you to switch to the new pricing, so you can get the modem replaced for free...I mean why not get a free D3 modem? BUT, if you are totally opposed to coming to the new pricing and packaging, at this time, you would be able to self-install a replacement D3 Modem.

I don't get the logic of this decision.
If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

As for arguing about a "free" modem, let's just say that I am skeptical of anything that claims to be free. Guess we will see shortly what the deal is, and when the next round of price hikes come along (which of course won't have anything to do with supplying "free" modems ).

On the FCC website, it states
quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit

88615298 (banned)

said by Zappa2000:

If people have DOCSIS 3 modems, then why not let them keep using it ? If they have issues, fine, then they need the "free" modem.

You can keep using your current modem.

quote:
Cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system.
Which means, if they have a DOCSIS 3 modem which has 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, the same as the newer surfboard, then this seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15 to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
I asked in direct about the following. If I own the same exact modem Charter is handing out at my local office. Would I still need to get a modem from the local office? Short answer. Yes. That makes zero sense to me and actually cost Charter more money by having to order more modems for customers. I will be able to continue using mine until my promos are up. After. I can choose to pay the old non promo prices. Which are insanely high btw. Or get into the new pricing system coming up with plans. I have phone and internet through Charter. So, yeah. Gonna have to go into a bundle now to keep our phone. We have CenturyLink but they are HORRIBLE for internet and phone. Plus they don't even come close to what Charter offers speed wise for internet. They only offer 1.5mb/896Kbps DSL. Compared to Ultra 100 (100mb/5mb) I have with Charter. Screw that crap!

anono
@charter.com

anono to Zappa2000

Anon

to Zappa2000

quote:

You are able to use your own modem, you just won't be able to get a new promo. If you wan't a new promo then you will have to use charters modem.

That's how I understand it.
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Zappa2000:

You can keep using your current modem.

Yes, as long as you don't get a new plan...

quote:

I believe applies to cable TV not internet. And who is going to sue over a modem?

Who knows, Cisco / Zoom / anyone who is making modems... and of course there are the class action lawyers, if they smell $$$ you can bet they will go for it.
I doubt a individual would do anything more than complain to the FCC, but you never know.

I did a quick check of the prices, and they haven't updated them yet.
CharterJosh
Premium Member
join:2009-02-05
Chesterfield, MO

CharterJosh to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
said by Zappa2000:

As for arguing about a "free" modem, let's just say that I am skeptical of anything that claims to be free. Guess we will see shortly what the deal is, and when the next round of price hikes come along (which of course won't have anything to do with supplying "free" modems ).

quote:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging. The way our new pricing and packaging structure was designed, Charter will provide the modem at no additional cost. The modem is a significant piece of the delivery of a great experience, and we want all of our customers to have the best possible experience. The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

WeALLbundle
@charter.com

2 edits

WeALLbundle

Anon

My entertainment packages:
Charter HSI 2-yr contract $35/month
Voip.ms VOIP $1 for phone line, $0.01 per min (under $5/month total)
Netflix Streaming $8
Hulu (free)
OTA HD (free)

Total: Under $50/month total.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to CharterJosh

to CharterJosh
said by CharterJosh:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging.

TriplePlay? LOL! Thanks but NO THANKS. I love my DirecTV HD.

»hdsource.txnj.net/directvhdgui/

Charter has a horrible HD line up and a crappy SLOW SD GUI on their boxes.
said by CharterJosh:

The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

This is complete made up fiction. If it were true there would be no reason to have a DOCSIS STANDARD.

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS /dkss/) is an international telecommunications standard that permits the addition of high-speed data transfer to an existing cable TV (CATV) system. It is employed by many cable television operators to provide Internet access (see cable Internet) over their existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) infrastructure.

Are you saying Charter is going to stop using DOCSIS and use something proprietary?
TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru to WeALLbundle

to WeALLbundle
said by WeALLbundle :

My entertainment packages:
Charter HSI 2-yr contract $35/month
Voip.ms VOIP $1 for phone line, $0.01 per min (under $5/month total)
Netflix Streaming $8
Hulu (free)
OTA HD (free)

Total: Under $50/month total.

Mine are a bit higher by choice.

$80/mo DirecTV Choice XTRA with HD.
$20/mo 15/3 Charter Express Internet
and my MagicJack home phone comes to $2.50/mo (paid yearly)
and my Sprint cell phone is $48/mo unlimited.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

This is complete made up fiction. If it were true there would be no reason to have a DOCSIS STANDARD.

Most cable companues keep an updated list of approved modems that they have tested and verified to work on their network. Some make the cut others don't for various reasons. There has been threads on this site over the years in various cable ISP forums that have showed certain modem models do not play well on certain networks, despite being DOCSIS certified.

I can't say I agree with what charter is doing though. It seems they are going in the direction that Time Warner did for all these years up until just recently. Now TW has an approved list and allows customer owned modems if it is on the list. BUT...TW did not allow customer owned modems since I think the beginning of there internet products and nothing came of it FCC wise and the world didnt end. So I am not sure what you think you will accomplish. Basically, most if not all people didnt care. You sign up, you are given the modem for no "extra" charge. I suppose in hindsight Charter should have had the policy since day 1 as changing now is causing such an uproar.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

I would think the Motorola and Cisco DOCSIS 3.0's would definitely be on the approved list with them being to two major and most expensive brands.

From Charter's own site:

What cable modems are compatible with Charter Internet?

If you prefer to own your own equipment and not leasing from Charter you can also obtain a new modem through 3rd party retailers. Any 3rd party device must be at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant for Internet Lite or Express and DOCSIS 3.0 compliant for Internet Plus or higher.

Charter Internet subscribers are required to use a compliant device in order to use the Charter network without interruption. Devices identified as noncompliant are subject to intermittent or no service due to network updates. If you lease Charter equipment or subscribe to Charter Home networking we continue to provide customers with the most up-to-date equipment, compliant with our network, to ensure services work as intended.

Charter Internet is compatible with most cable modems including:

Ambit (Ubee)
Motorola
Netgear
Cisco/Scientific Atlanta
SMC

Charter Internet subscribers are required to use a compliant device in order to use the Charter network without interruption. Devices identified as non compliant are subject to intermittent or no service due to network updates. Charter continues to provide customers with the most up-to-date equipment, compliant with our network, to ensure services work as intended.

Customers attempting to download Charter Security Suite with a non compliant modem may not be allowed to install services and may receive a message their modem is non compliant.

Any device considered non compliant must be replaced with a compliant device.

A non compliant modem list is in place to help prevent the non compliant modems and gateways from being installed on the Charter network. Modems and gateways identified as non compliant include devices that are phased out due to older versions of firmware that are unable to receive updates.

We strongly recommend you replace your equipment with a DOCSIS 3 Compliant device which ensures it will work on all our Internet Packages and helps "future-proof" against technology advancements.

If you own your own equipment and are not leasing from Charter you can also obtain a new modem through 3rd party retailers. Any 3rd party device must be at least DOCSIS 2.0 compliant for Internet Lite or Express and DOCSIS 3.0 compliant for Internet Plus or higher.

In-case you didn't know you can swap out your modem without even calling Charter by going to »install.charter.com
Zappa2000
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to CharterJosh

to CharterJosh
said by CharterJosh:

If you choose to stay with your existing pricing structure, you can continue to use your own modem, however, we encourage you to examine the additional value you could get from our new triple play packaging. The way our new pricing and packaging structure was designed, Charter will provide the modem at no additional cost. The modem is a significant piece of the delivery of a great experience, and we want all of our customers to have the best possible experience. The modems used to access Charter Internet services may have an impact on Charter's network performance, and Charter-provided cable modems are proactively managed and supported at no additional cost to customers.

Triple play is phone + TV + HSI, so your saying we now get 2 devices for "free" (cable modem + phone modem) because of the new pricing structure, and there is no chance at all that the customer can save Charter money by already having a DOCSIS 3.0 modem ? Or are we talking about one of those combo units that have phone + HSI, and that is the "free" modem for the triple play stuff ?