All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LarryE
join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL

LarryE

[Connectivity] Which could be the culprit?

Seems that lately every 3 or 4 days I have to re-boot my SB6120 modem and my WNDR3700 Router because the speed drops to practically nothing. Just had to do it again today. I'm on the 105/20 tier and my download speed was down to 20Mbps. The upload speed doesn't seem to be affected quite as much. Between the two units, which would most likely be the culprit, the modem or the router? I know I could disconnect the router in order to either eliminate it or prove that it is the culprit, but I thought maybe someone here could offer some advice from experience. Both units are owned.

Thanks for any and all advice.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

I'd bet the router. Had this problem when I had a NetGear router.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

My guess is also router. Of course just a guess tho. I never reboot my modem. My router is another story tho.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to LarryE

Premium Member

to LarryE
You should either go direct to the modem (for a while/for testing)
OR
only powercycle the router after the next event. (if it work after, it's the router, if not try modem only.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Excellent idea. Thank you very much. What do you eat to get so smart?

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.
LarryE

LarryE to rody_44

to rody_44
Thanks I'll try power cycling the router (as suggested by "tshirt") the next time it happens.

Appreciate your comment.
DoctorJ
join:2000-04-09
Evergreen Park, IL

DoctorJ

What else is plugged into the router? If you have anything else plugged into the router it could be another device causing the issue.
Also a ethernet cable plugged into the router with nothing attached to other end.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Thanks for the reply, but nothing else is plugged into the router.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to LarryE

Premium Member

to LarryE
I had the same router that started doing the exact same thing. It's a shame because it was a good router, but even flashing back to the firmware it shipped with didn't help. I ended up replacing it.
phudson126
join:2012-06-12
Brooklyn, NY

phudson126 to LarryE

to LarryE
I think tshirt is right. That is the only way to go about it. If none of these work, get a technician to help you. I have also faced such problems before but then it ended very silly. I found that something was wrong with my power socket connected to the modem. It may or may not be the case in your problem. Just try dismantling all your connections and reconnecting them. Might sound silly but might work.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE to beachintech

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I had the same router that started doing the exact same thing. It's a shame because it was a good router, but even flashing back to the firmware it shipped with didn't help. I ended up replacing it.

You may have a very valid point there. I seem to recall that last year there was a thunderstorm here that produced a power outage and after that it seemed that two of the four ports on the back of the router didn't want to work, so I had to plug into the third port, which has been working fine, up until now, that is. But, since posting this I haven't had a slowdown, so I'm still waiting and will powercycle just the router as suggested.

Thanks for your comment. At least it jogged my memory about that thunderstorm.
LarryE

LarryE to phudson126

to phudson126
said by phudson126:

I think tshirt is right. That is the only way to go about it. If none of these work, get a technician to help you. I have also faced such problems before but then it ended very silly. I found that something was wrong with my power socket connected to the modem. It may or may not be the case in your problem. Just try dismantling all your connections and reconnecting them. Might sound silly but might work.

Don't think it's the power socket because nothing else seems to be affected. But thanks for the comment.

khoss
@comcast.net

khoss to LarryE

Anon

to LarryE
Netgear had released a beta firmware last year that might help your issue. Check their support site, enter your router & version info, the firmware should say NA-dns beta. Not sure if you have a version 1 or 2 though.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to LarryE

Anon

to LarryE
Next time just reset the router, if speeds come back, you know the answer.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Just to update. Looks like it's the modem. Downloads dropped to 1.5Mbps a few minutes ago so I powercycled the router, logged on and ran another speed test and only improved to about 7Mbps. So I powercycled the SB6120 modem and ran another test and got my 115Mbps. So looks like I need a new modem. Any suggestions?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to LarryE

to LarryE
Hi Larry, sorry to hear that your having trouble with your service but it's glad to see you again From what I've read of your post I personally would recommend bypassing the router and seeing if the issue occurs with that configuration setup. Alternatively if you cannot remove the router due to logistics of needing the entire network up and running, when the issue occurs try only rebooting the modem and not the router and test for speed when the modem is done rebooting. If the speed decrease is still occuring after the modem reboot, then reboot the router and when the router is done rebooting test for speed. If the speed is fixed after only the modem is rebooted then you know its a modem issue. If the speed is fixed only when the router is rebooted then you know its a router issue.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Hi Mike, glad to see you here again. Yes, that's basically what I did, as explained in my previous post. I booted the router first and it did nothing for my speeds, but the minute I booted the Modem and without a second reboot of the router speeds were back where they should be, which is why I assumed it is the modem and not the router. I may wait until the first of August to remove the router completely from the picture as I need the network up and running basically all the time. That's what I get for having a desktop, laptop, tablet and 2 smart phones all connected. LOL

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

mmm well I just did a router self install for a customer through the automated website and it worked perfectly, plus the bandwidth meter remained on the account instead of resetting. The 6120 is a good modem so im suprised you are having trouble. I really hope that it is a simple signal tweak that is needed and not a hardware failure issue. Keep me informed when you can please?

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Thanks my friend. It's the 6120, not the 6121. I'll see what goes down. Thanks for posting.
LarryE

LarryE

One more question before I run out and buy another modem. Would it still be the modem if only the download speed is affected? Every time it happens, only the download speed drops to almost nothing, but the upload always remains the same of 20+Mbps.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I still feel like its a signal issue.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Guess I'll have to drop a note to Comcast Steve and see if he can shed some light on the problem.
Zizoo
join:2010-05-12
PA

Zizoo to LarryE

to LarryE
Have you checked to see if you have a program or system on the network that is doing background updates or downloading something without your knowledge? Windows updates or something?

You might have something downloading in the background that is saturating your line.

I would keep digging before buying more / new equipment.

Thanks,

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Would a direct connection to the modem and checking for issues be a good idea?

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE to Zizoo

to Zizoo
said by Zizoo:

Have you checked to see if you have a program or system on the network that is doing background updates or downloading something without your knowledge? Windows updates or something?

You might have something downloading in the background that is saturating your line.

I would keep digging before buying more / new equipment.

Thanks,

No, nothing running in the background. When not in use, both computers are put to sleep. I've posted a message in in the Comcast Direct forum to see if they can shed any light on this.
LarryE

LarryE to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Would a direct connection to the modem and checking for issues be a good idea?

I won't be able to remove the router from the picture until the first week of August. And it probably won't happen during that time period.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

oh ouch ok then. I was just thinking that doing so would eliminate everything but the router.