Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Netbook HD video

Having a problem with this netbook when trying to watch Netflix HD streaming. The video slows down and the audio continues to go on as normal. Youtube Hd video watching works fine. Video card drivers are up to date. Tried it on Chrome and IE and the same problem persists.

Specs

AMD C-60 APU 1.0ghz
4GB of ram
AMD Radeon HD 6290 256MB
SATA 500GB 5400 RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I know the specs aren't amazing, but I have been trying to do some research on this problem and no one has complained about video slowdown with this netbook. Seems odd to me.

edit: Just tried ESPN3.com and the video was HD quality and didn't slow down. It has to be a problem with Netflix... Weird for sure..
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

totamak
And they call me nuts?

join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

Given what you have stated here, update Silverlight to the latest build. It sounds like VC-1 GPU acceleration support isn't being engaged by Silverlight (the plug-in browsers need to use for Netflix).
Probably wouldn't hurt to update the video card drivers as well.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Silverlight is already updated to the latest build.

According to ATI Catalyst my video card drivers are up to date as well.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to MuDvAyNe

You might try clearing out the Silverlight temp files... directions here: »support.netflix.com/en/node/69
--
My Site

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Video still slows down once HD is buffered.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

pog4
Premium
Kihei, HI

You said others haven't mentioned slowdowns but do you know if they are playing in actual HD or if they are just streaming SD/DVD quality?
--
My Site

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

I can't find much on this topic but this thread is almost a year old.

»techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.···&t=77636

People were stating it is a Silverlight 4 problem, but we are now on Silverlight 5 and it seems the problem still persists. Just like that topic states other HD videos work fine.

Edit : Also a lot of the reviews were saying it streamed Netflix fine, but did not state if it was HD. The netbook does come with an AMD sticker that says HD Internet so I would hope that something like Netflix HD streaming would be something that worked.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

pog4
Premium
Kihei, HI

does anything here help: »forums.silverlight.net/t/245078.aspx/1 ?

specifically, the part about enabling blocked display drivers and GPU acceleration?
--
My Site

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to MuDvAyNe

Checking the box enable hardware accelerated playback and changing the GPUVideoDecoder to 1 in registy did not change anything. I downloaded GPU-Z and notice that the GPU load is only about 15-30 percent the load when playing Netflix. The CPU however is at 99-100%.

edit: Looks like most of those people posting in that thread have the same problem. For some odd reason Silverlight uses the CPU and not the GPU, which in effect my CPU is not powerful enough to handle Netflix HD streaming alone. O well, let's hope an update fixes this issue but knowing Microsoft, they won't.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to MuDvAyNe

The onboard graphics aren't that powerful. After all Netbook it is!

goldy5

join:2000-11-14
Augusta, GA
reply to totamak

said by totamak:

Given what you have stated here, update Silverlight to the latest build.

I have the same netbook. Had to do what totamak suggested.
It worked. I istalled over the other Silverlight. may have been that it got corrupted.
--
Never chase a dragon with a butterfly net. It annoys the dragon and will probably get you burnt!

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

I guess I should of tried to uninstall and reinstall it. I will try that later today.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to goldy5

that did not work!!