spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quantumfluxx

join:2009-01-11

Phase II BB50/BB100 Upload Buff cancelled?

So, back when Shaw originally announced their new BroadBand packages, they announced that BB50/3 and BB100/5 would eventually turn into BB50/5 and BB100/10, and that the change would happen when BB250/15 became available in your area.

So BB250 has supposedly launched in my city, but the website still claims that the BB100 and BB50 packages are at the slower upload rates.

Was this upload boost quietly cancelled?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

In many places, BB100 has 10 up

I had thought BB50 had 5 up everywhere now.

It may just take some time, how long has your area been upgraded?

I am waiting for Business 100 to get upgraded to 10 upload.
Business 50 and 100 has allways been 5 up.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to quantumfluxx

Come on more upload!

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to quantumfluxx

I can only speculate that the EXO advertising killed the budget being used for the DNU's.

Most of Edmonton was supposed to be upgraded, but only the ritzy areas received those upgrades (Terwillegar/Fox Drive). Leduc and St. Albert were also upgraded.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

KernelKurtz

join:2012-06-25
reply to kevinds

Still 50/3 here in Winnipeg.

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

Same here, in the 'peg

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Late April early May,

I am sure that Winnipeg showed 5mbps on their page.

I had to set up a connection there and was comparing Business to Residential. I am sure they were both 5 up.

Went with business because the Shaw email servers kept blocking our server alerts from being sent.

Either I am mistaken, or Shaw changed the site back to 3 mbps.

-Posted from my phone.

KernelKurtz

reply to quantumfluxx

Web page here shows 50/3, even though the 250 plan is available.

I think I'll just pay the extra $10/mo to go to 100/5, and if they boost it to 100/10 that's a bonus.

pgill

@96.55.97.x
reply to quantumfluxx

I'm in Surrey and I have not been upgraded to phase 2 upload speeds. Very disappointed tbh. I really need 10 upload. It does however say that I should be getting 10 upload according to Shaw's website and that BB250 is available.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to quantumfluxx

Just did some checking, and Red Deer is still on the old speeds, however Rocky Mountain House is upgraded. How does that even work? Town of 5-10k people get's upgraded before a City of 100,000? I find that a little strange.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

It is much easier to upgrade 5k people than 100k.

5k might be what, 15 nodes? and 1 CMTS.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

KernelKurtz

reply to quantumfluxx

So yesterday I called the toll free number and asked to be upgraded from BB50 to BB100. The girl on the line helpfully flashed my modem, and it came back up in wifi mode. When she checked to make sure everything was working, I told her no, my modem is not in bridged mode anymore. She had no idea what i was talking about and referred me to tech support.......

The tech support person knew right away what I was talking about, and flashed my modem back into bridged mode.

Now I seem to have 50/5 from running a number of speed tests on a number of sites since yesterday (actually 49/4.9 as would be expected - facepalm!).

Don't even want to call back and try to explain this to them. Guess I'll wait till my next bill and if I'm being charged for BB100 then I'll have to deal with it........

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by KernelKurtz:

So yesterday I called the toll free number and asked to be upgra

Don't even want to call back and try to explain this to them. Guess I'll wait till my next bill and if I'm being charged for BB100 then I'll have to deal with it........

Wrong answer. You PM or post to ShawSean and he kindly helps you out. /endcriticism

dendenchev

@shawcable.net
reply to KernelKurtz

The website says 100/10. I am getting less than 5 upload. I also have the large SMC modem. Does that make a difference? Do i need to swap my modem for one of those new ones to be able to get 10Mbps upload?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by dendenchev :

The website says 100/10. I am getting less than 5 upload. I also have the large SMC modem. Does that make a difference? Do i need to swap my modem for one of those new ones to be able to get 10Mbps upload?

What are you basing your speed on?

Is it a torrent swarm? Is it to a ftp server you know how much bandwidth is availible is it just a speed test site? what does shaws speed test show?

KernelKurtz

reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde See Profile
Wrong answer. You PM or post to ShawSean and he kindly helps you out. /endcriticism
[/BQUOTE :

K, not trying to be be an ass, but not looking for special treatment either. Just came here cause it looked like an intelligent point of discussion. I've read here for years now and then without posting.

This is supposed to be an open discussion, no? I deal with both Shaw and MTS corporate TLS circuit support regularly, and give me Shaw any day, but does not mean I won't try to provide constructive criticism on my consumer level experience where warranted.

/end hopefullycontructivecriticism

KernelKurtz

reply to quantumfluxx

I'll for sure take a fail on the formatting there....

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
reply to KernelKurtz

Having a convenient way to interact with Shaw (via ShawSean) is not asking for special treatment. Also, instead of waiting until your next billing cycle to find out if you're paying for something you're not getting, you can quickly PM ShawSean your acct details and he can look into it for you. He's proven to be an excellent resource for multiple people on this forum.

KernelKurtz

Fair enough. I'm not going to lose sleep over 10 bucks either way. It's the additional upstream I was looking for anyway, but I'll certainly try PMing ShawSean before I call their support line next time.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Or Business 50? 50/5
Static IP
Basic Cable
Faster and better tech support

New business account promo is cheaper too.

No shaping is the biggest bonus...

-Posted from my phone.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
reply to KernelKurtz

said by KernelKurtz:

Fair enough. I'm not going to lose sleep over 10 bucks either way. It's the additional upstream I was looking for anyway, but I'll certainly try PMing ShawSean before I call their support line next time.

I wasn't trying to be an ass. I don't think a consumer should pay for service they aren't receiving, or give up and wait to struggle when getting a bad answer. I think you deserve to get what you are paying for, and to know what you are paying for. Thus: talk to ShawSean, because we know he is a great and coherent source of information and service.

vicshaw

@shawcable.net

Heard September or so for Victoria. Apparently some areas are ready to go and others (Langford, Sooke) are not, so once those areas have the bandwidth, the whole city will be upgraded at once.

Amar

join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC
reply to quantumfluxx

Shaw's website now shows the updated speeds for me (100/10), but I'm still getting 5Mbps upload. »www.shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-100/