Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Davesnothere

Re: TPIA Providers for Ottawa

I'm not eligible for the the startup fee being waived with Start as my cancellation date with TekSavvy is on June 30.

I'm considering Acanac because of the free home phone that they offer to their customers which will save me ~$35 month as well as I no longer use the home line all that much but just want to keep the number.

I'm in the same boat as you with the TV stuff, streaming and P2P.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

3 edits

I see, on the June 30 thing. - So you must have your reasons....

Acanac is not all that well-known for their VoIP, AFAIK. - Neither is TSI, for that matter.

If your phone service is important to you, you might best concentrate your remaining grace period on whether or not Acanac will be good/reliable-etc enough for your phone requirements, and can port your current number properly, and let the Internet part take the back seat as those providers all would likely be within some degree of similarity.

Though I guess that you are kind of 'down to the wire' anyway, on all parts of the puzzle.

Who is your current phone provider ?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Current phone provider is Rogers home phone over cable.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
said by JCohen:

OK, so you know how to do the 2 cable modems on 1 wire thing.

If you have not already cancelled your phone (and you could easily extend that date - I did that with my Cogeco Internet when transferring to START, at a prorated monthly charge), I would say to keep it until your new Internet is determined stable.

THEN do the phone part.

Unless enough folks here (or who you know) are prepared to get out the stack of bibles and swear to Acanac's VoIP phone being rock solid and all, I'd do that part later if it was me.

Of course, Acanac prob'ly wants the whole thing in one order to give their deal. - And again, if it was me, THAT would be a deal-breaker.

Something in my gut tells me that you ought to contact TSI to try to extend your cutoff date far enough that you could do a transfer to START. - There might yet be time to do that, and surely they'd still accept your money.

And see about getting your VoIP from VOIP.MS or CallCentric, who are both proven providers with moderate costs.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Davesnothere:

said by JCohen:

OK, so you know how to do the 2 cable modems on 1 wire thing.

If you have not already cancelled your phone (and you could easily extend that date - I did that with my Cogeco Internet when transferring to START, at a prorated monthly charge), I would say to keep it until your new Internet is determined stable.

THEN do the phone part.

Unless enough folks here (or who you know) are prepared to get out the stack of bibles and swear to Acanac's VoIP phone being rock solid and all, I'd do that part later if it was me.

Of course, Acanac prob'ly wants the whole thing in one order to give their deal. - And again, if it was me, THAT would be a deal-breaker.

Haven't cancelled the home phone and won't be doing anything with it until I can run the Acanac VoIP through it's paces with a random assigned number and port later.

said by Davesnothere:

Something in my gut tells me that you ought to contact TSI to try to extend your cutoff date far enough that you could do a transfer to START. - There might yet be time to do that, and surely they'd still accept your money.

I already tried and unfortunately it can't be done because Rogers is so useless that their TPIA department can't process a un-cacellation request in time.

--

No matter what provider I choose I might still end up just going with VoIP.ms for home phone as it's mainly just to keep the number and because I need a home line for my alarm system.
Expand your moderator at work

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to JCohen

Re: TPIA Providers for Ottawa

said by JCohen:

Haven't cancelled the home phone and won't be doing anything with it until I can run the Acanac VoIP through it's paces with a random assigned number and port later.

That sounds wise, regardless of the other factors.

said by JCohen:

I already tried and unfortunately it can't be done, because Rogers is so useless that their TPIA department can't process a un-cancellation request in time.

OMFG or OY ! [you choose]

said by JCohen:

No matter what provider I choose, I might still end up just going with VoIP.ms for home phone, as it's mainly just to keep the number, and because I need a home line for my alarm system.

They have a decent reputation, and so does CallCentric.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
So I decided that I can't be disconnected from the world for the 2 weeks it would take to get connected with a TPIA provider, only option was to sign up for Rogers 1 month and since I now have an active cable internet service I will likely be going over to Start at the end of the month.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by JCohen:

So I decided that I can't be disconnected from the world for the 2 weeks it would take to get connected with a TPIA provider, only option was to sign up for Rogers 1 month and since I now have an active cable internet service I will likely be going over to Start at the end of the month.

That might be for the best. - After all cannot have 'Net Withdrawal, can we ?

What does Rogers think of your idea, as you would have to give notice right away, right ?

Or will they be more lenient about notice for Internet as you also have their home phone for now ? (Cogeco apparently is like that)

Also what is Rogers charging for setup for Internet ? $15 ? or more ?

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Davesnothere:

Also what is Rogers charging for setup for Internet ? $15 ? or more ?

said by MichelR:

Do they charge for installation? I can't recall ever paying them for installation of any service.

I was not informed of any installation fees, but I also told them that I do not need a technician sent to my house for the install and I went and picked up a DPC3825 from the Rogers Plus store.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

That might be for the best. - After all cannot have 'Net Withdrawal, can we ?

Exactly why I signed up for Rogers as I was able to get activated on the same day.

said by Davesnothere:

What does Rogers think of your idea, as you would have to give notice right away, right ?

Well the rep I spoke to gave me a credit for the modem rental for the month.

said by Davesnothere:

Or will they be more lenient about notice for Internet as you also have their home phone for now ? (Cogeco apparently is like that)

Home phone is Rogers but that account isn't in my name so it won't affect anything.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

I was not informed of any installation fees, but I also told them that I do not need a technician sent to my house for the install and I went and picked up a DPC3825 from the Rogers Plus store.

DPC3825 ?

When did Rogers decide to support THAT model ?

Isn't that the one with the combo wireless router in it ?

There are some threads mentioning it for Cogeco about a week ago, but I had not heard for Rogers using it.

Hmmmm....

As for install fees, I read the $15 somewhere on the Rogers site back in March, when I was making that Ontario IISP comparison spreadsheet.