spc
uniqs
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to somedudehere

to somedudehere

Re: [BC] Shaw what a big mistake!

said by somedudehere :

Yes dsl (Ethernet) may be from the 90's But coax (remember token ring using coax?) is a lot older. I just had to post, because it sounded like you were saying shaw was using some new type of network topology. Thats it.

DSL is not ethernet any more or less than DOCSIS is ethernet. Also Ethernet used two types of coax before switching common usage to Twisted Pair. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say.

DSL was patented in 1988. DOCSIS 1.0 spec was issued in 1997.

Just some trivia facts for you all.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

XT0RT

DSL does use TPE from the DSLAM to the residence, unlike Cable's HFC that has fibre runs to the node and then coax to the residence. He's pretty much summing up 'the last mile' portion for the method of delivery to the consumer.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

From DSLAM to residence is not twisted pair ethernet. if that were the case, you wouldn't need a DSL modem.
Also, TPE uses 4 pairs. I only have 2 pairs of phone wires in my house.
Thirdly, TPE using Cat5 (10/100) maxes out at 100m. on cat3 (typical phone wire) it's unlikely it would do anything at the several kilometer reach of DSL.
finally, a cursory read of wikipedia will explain that DSL from DSLAM to residence (DSL Modem) is anything but twisted pair ethernet:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· chnology

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

Stop pulling Wikipedia from your ass. It sounds like you know nothing about the terminology. Any house that is over 20 years old is going to have the old 4 strands runs going to it, then 2 are separated for the purpose of digital signals.

As for TPE, I meant UTP. Sometimes I do get those two mixed up.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

said by XT0RT:

Stop pulling Wikipedia from your ass. It sounds like you know nothing about the terminology. Any house that is over 20 years old is going to have the old 4 strands runs going to it, then 2 are separated for the purpose of digital signals.

Um 4 strands != 4 pairs. Cat 3 != Cat 5.
You cannot get around those truths.
DSL != Ethernet.
Period.
I'm sorry I was giving people a reference to read up on why DSL != Ethernet. My bad. If you want I can reference whitepapers that I guarantee no one will read.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

Edit: Removed because too far off-topic.

somedudehere
@telus.net

somedudehere to ravenchilde

Anon

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

said by somedudehere :

Yes dsl (Ethernet) may be from the 90's But coax (remember token ring using coax?) is a lot older. I just had to post, because it sounded like you were saying shaw was using some new type of network topology. Thats it.

DSL is not ethernet any more or less than DOCSIS is ethernet. Also Ethernet used two types of coax before switching common usage to Twisted Pair. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say.

DSL was patented in 1988. DOCSIS 1.0 spec was issued in 1997.

Just some trivia facts for you all.

All I meant was, technically dsl is "newer" at least when it comes to general public. the exo is still same technology "in general", as far as i know. Just a post back, even though I know this got so side tracked. sorry lol