how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

knewman

join:2010-10-21

1 recommendation

FCC Regs?

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?

daake07

join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE
That is a good thought, but I think it might only apply to cable cards and not modems. I could be wrong though.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
reply to knewman

Ya right

"best on-line experience possible" This is just like Exlax's "We want the customer to have the best experience possiable, no cramps

If I had a modem I purchased myself I would have no expectation of any customer support for it, hell I wouldn't call for customer support even if the moden was rented. You get some poor person in India getting paid chicken feed to read a script back to you.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to knewman

Re: FCC Regs?

said by knewman:

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?

I believe that only applies to cable TV equipment, not cable modems.

It doesn't apply to CableCARDs. The cable company doesn't have to offer it for purchase, but they have to lease them.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to knewman
No. The closest to FCC cable modem regulation is that TWC must offer competing Cable ISPs because of the AOL/TW merger years ago. The Cable ISPs for TWC are atleast Earthlink and possibly 1 other company depending on market.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Transmaster

Re: Ya right

Chicken feed to eat, or chicken feed to feed the family chickens?

kingofdsl

join:2002-12-11
Indianapolis, IN
reply to knewman

How can this be legal???

New customers and customers that change their service as of Tuesday the 26th appear to be locked into a Charter modem.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Don't become a new customer and it won't be a problem

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to knewman
they could allow you to bring your own modem- but you'll be on your own if anything happens. Meaning if they see your modem; your SOL. As it should be.

They also could tell the FCC to take a hike if they wanted to go to court; and as history shows- the FCC does not normally win in court.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to patcat88
and nobody still knows the full details of that deal as nothing was released. And still in many areas you don't get a choice- especially in the markets that TWC took over from Adelphia and Comcast. You can go to Earthlink all you want to sign up and they'll tell you no service- and TWC will basically tell you the same- but why go with a 3rd party when you're limited to what speeds you're going to see.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to Transmaster

said by Transmaster:

"best on-line experience possible"

This is corporate code for "your bill is going to increase" substantially.

Always remember, when a corporate communication states

1) We want every Charter Internet customer to have the best on-line experience possible

Equates to that you are going to pay more, for not really anything, but by doing so, you'll feel better. At least they were honest and used it in the number one slot....

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by knewman:

I believe that only applies to cable TV equipment, not cable modems.

It doesn't apply to CableCARDs. The cable company doesn't have to offer it for purchase, but they have to lease them.

Correction they are NOT REQUIRED to lease Cable Cards or Tuning adapters. They are required to make Cable Cards available. They may charge a nominal fee for the card (not required to) Cable companies tend to just make the (POS) Tuning Adapters free. Next year they must make cable cards TWO WAY allowing people with equipment like TiVo to watch on demand content.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.06NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

Samothrake

@comcast.net
They already have two way cable cards.
I have had for the past two years now one of the few Tru2Way televisions - which uses a two way cable card. I rather enjoy it, but is seems that I need to contact Comcast again to get the on-demand working again.

manfriend

join:2010-09-06
Louisville, KY
reply to Transmaster

I worked for Charter for years and there are no call centers in India. I worked at the one in Louisville, KY., and the overseas call centers are in Panama, Mexico City, Cainta Philippines, a couple in Canada, and maybe one in Brazil. The ones overseas are tiny. We had 2 in the Philippines but 1 was washed away in a Typhoon during a "state of calamity". The other 1 is a billing call center which I'm sure is to upset customers and force them to forget trying to get billing information since I couldn't even understand them. If anyone needs an expert witness on billing issues with Charter feel free to contact me. No one is trained on billing calls and you will get a different answer every time you call about a billing question. I worked tech support but as with all the call centers the primary directive is to get you to buy stuff you don't want and probably doesn't work. Good luck to all of you.

knewman

join:2010-10-21
reply to 25139889

that makes sense. you bring your own modem and charter will do their part by not blocking it. but if its busted then its your problem. for some reason I read this as charter will block all customer owned devices from their network.