spc
uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to daake07

to daake07

Re: As a Charter Customer I'm upset

The point is very simple. Verizon controls their network, and they can let whatever they want as a device to be accepted on it.

Charter can do the same. And Time Warner Cable has until recently, not allowed customer-owned modems in many regions.

And I'm not aware of any provider allowing you to use your own modems with internet/phone service. I know Comcast doesn't, I know my provider doesn't.

cast sucks
@dsl.net

cast sucks

Anon

said by Os:

The point is very simple. Verizon controls their network, and they can let whatever they want as a device to be accepted on it.

Charter can do the same. And Time Warner Cable has until recently, not allowed customer-owned modems in many regions.

And I'm not aware of any provider allowing you to use your own modems with internet/phone service. I know Comcast doesn't, I know my provider doesn't.

so you be ok with only being able to rent a locked down Verizon PC at a high price and having to use the Verizon app store with high prices.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Os

to Os
TWC doesn't allow you to bring your own modem for Phone/Internet either.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to cast sucks

to cast sucks
I didn't say my opinion on the matter.

But the point is if Charter wants to lock down their network and only allow their equipment, there's precedent in the market that allows for it that hasn't been stopped as of yet.

I have no problem with what Charter did as long as they're not going to then force everyone to pay the $7/month. If they're going to give you the modem for free, then great. If they did that as a cash grab, then that's a different story. And that I'd have a real problem with.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Os

to Os
said by Os:

suddenlink i believe does, with internet and phone..., i know theyve let us for years you our own modem, and heck you can go buy one and use it on their system u just have to call them and give them the serial and all that

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to Os

Premium Member

to Os
said by Os:

With FIOS it's often a 2 device install, the ONT and the Router. You don't NEED the router as long as you're internet only and have cat5. You need the router for the TV if you've got the on-screen schedule guide.

There is no additional charge, beyond service, for the internet/phone equipment...

I don't think I'd have a problem with Comcast requiring me to use their equipment. Though I would have a problem if they told me my service would cost $50/mo and also I had to pay a required $7 equipment fee.

I think that's the problem. You can't run a restaurant where you sell a bowl of pasta for $10 and then charge $3 for a fork while not allowing customers to bring their own fork.

trebacz
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Fountain Hills, AZ
ARRIS SB6141

trebacz to Os

Premium Member

to Os
Just jumping in on the Comcast Triple Play - with your own modem. I have a purchased modem with Comcast cable, phone, and internet -and love that I had the choice to avoid the $7 rental fee.

Did it last January and wrote the detail about it in this blog post:
»blog.trebacz.com/2012/01 ··· ris.html

edstreiff
@comcast.net

edstreiff to Os

Anon

to Os
said by Os:

I have comcast and was allowed to use my own SB 6121 Comcast residential will allow you use any modem as long as its on their approved list. Saved the $7 modem rental fee, so before you make up something about a provider you don't have you should research better