Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Glad I'm in Comcast territory

I live in Comcast territory (Springfield, MA) but some of the surrounding towns (Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, and East Longmeadow) are in Charter turf. I have read on some of the local forums that Charter is worse than Comcast. Around here, Charter uses the Scientific Atlanta boxes, which I don't like as much as Motorola hardware. I personally have TiVo boxes for DVR, and I have few complaints about Comcast other than getting things fixed can be like pulling teeth (such as taking six different truck rolls to fix a constantly dropping Internet connection). I personally have not had Comcast miss an appointment but have had a few late techs.

Charter has been known for predatory business practices like locking customers into lengthy contracts with steep ETFs and rock bottom customer service. It got so bad that the mayor of Chicopee once said a few years ago that he'd offer Verizon a CATV franchise if they'd build FiOS in that community.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by IowaCowboy:

Charter has been known for predatory business practices like locking customers into lengthy contracts with steep ETFs and rock bottom customer service.

That's bullshit. Contracts are OPTIONAL and yes there is ETF if you back out of a contract like there is in ANY business. Back out of cell phone contract or DirecTv contract. See what happens. The ETF is stated VERY clearly BEFORE you sign a contract.

Comcast bashing Charter about customer service is a joke. I don't read stories about Charter employees blowing up houses or committing murder.

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
When I had Charter at my previous home, I was under contract. Decided to cancel and switch to a local ISP. They waived the ETF on the cancellation, and thanked me for being a customer.