Search similar:

uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

I'll defer judgement until tomorrow

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if internet rates are going up or not. If not then fine. If they are the that's BS.

Luckily I'm locked in for another year on my pricing.

88615298 (banned)

The only problem in my opinion: Cable pricing has historically outpaced the rate of inflation many-fold, and this appears to be a thinly-veiled attempt at justifying what most certainly will be a price increase - stay tuned as you can bet the $7 modem rental fee will simply find it's way into the base price. More details should be forthcoming on Tuesday

Normally that might be the right opinion but at least with their TV pricing they ARE in fact lowering prices. So who knows, maybe they'll eat the $7. Maybe having everyone use their modems saves them $7 a month. If they upped or got rid of the caps I'd be less pissed off about a $7 increase.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if internet rates are going up or not. If not then fine. If they are the that's BS.

It is an equipment fee. Price lock does not apply to equipment fees. (Remember the Broadband TV Surcharge from 2010?)
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by marigolds:

said by 88615298:

It is an equipment fee. Price lock does not apply to equipment fees. (Remember the Broadband TV Surcharge from 2010?)

Yes and they are ELIMINATING the equipment fee. So do you have a point? I don't pay an equipment fee since I have my own modem. So if Charter raises the price I'm not getting a price increase because I'm locked in for another year.

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

Unless the price raise is an equipment fee. Then it applies to you even if you are using your own modem and are on a locked in fee schedule.
Remember, the broadcast tv surcharge was purely an operational cost passed through as a equipment fee despite there being no equipment involved on the part of the end user. I doubt it is going to matter to Charter if you have your own modem or not if they impose a universal modem equipment fee. You will simply be given the option to start using a Charter modem for the fee you are paying. This exact same thing happened with Comcast, Frontier, Time-Warner....
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by marigolds:

Unless the price raise is an equipment fee.

Which part are you not getting? RIGHT NOW they have an equipment fee. Starting tomorrow they won't. That's the whole friggen ass point. If their prices go up it will the price for service not equipment. They can't say they are getting rid of an equipment fee then raise prices and say it's for an equipment fee. That doesn't make sense.

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

Your locked in contract does not protect you from having a different equipment fee tacked onto your bill. The broadcast tv surcharge had little to do with equipment or broadcast tv, but that did not stop it from being added to every bill, including locked in contracts, as an equipment fee.

Neither this announcement nor your contract protect you from that. Considering that it has already been revealed that tv equipment is not being quoted in the new prices, it is quite possible that internet equipment is not as well.

"They can't say they are getting rid of an equipment fee then raise prices and say it's for an equipment fee. That doesn't make sense."
Unless it allows them to both post a lower advertised price and penalize customers who continue using their own equipment.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by marigolds:

Your locked in contract does not protect you from having a different equipment fee tacked onto your bill. The broadcast tv surcharge had little to do with equipment or broadcast tv, but that did not stop it from being added to every bill, including locked in contracts, as an equipment fee.

Neither this announcement nor your contract protect you from that. Considering that it has already been revealed that tv equipment is not being quoted in the new prices, it is quite possible that internet equipment is not as well.

"They can't say they are getting rid of an equipment fee then raise prices and say it's for an equipment fee. That doesn't make sense."
Unless it allows them to both post a lower advertised price and penalize customers who continue using their own equipment.

There is not going to be any more equipment fee. I do not know how else to put that to you. My next step for you is to put you on ignore because this is a really simple idea to grasp and I'm tired of explaining it to you?

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

»Re: [HSI] Charter will No longer support Customer Owned modems?!
said by CharterJosh:

Unfortunately, it looks like one piece of information in that response is incorrect. In our New Pricing structure, the TV equipment is not included in the package price as you can see here charter.com/tvpackages. The price quoted is for the TV and Internet, however any receivers (including the first receiver) is in addition to that price.

Clearly equipment fees are not a thing of the past.

This is exactly what happened with Comcast, Frontier, Time-Warner, and numerous other companies. They eliminated the modem rental fee and replaced it with a modem support fee that applied to all modems, company or customer owned.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

say hello to my ignore list. You were warned.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to marigolds

Premium Member

to marigolds
said by marigolds:

Unless the price raise is an equipment fee. Then it applies to you even if you are using your own modem and are on a locked in fee schedule.
Remember, the broadcast tv surcharge was purely an operational cost passed through as a equipment fee despite there being no equipment involved on the part of the end user. I doubt it is going to matter to Charter if you have your own modem or not if they impose a universal modem equipment fee. You will simply be given the option to start using a Charter modem for the fee you are paying. This exact same thing happened with Comcast, Frontier, Time-Warner....

No, TWC is going the EXACT OPPOSITE of Charter. We can FINALLY buy our own modems!!! Up until now we have been required to use a TWC supplied modem with NO CHARGE for the modem. I've been asking for us to be allowed to buy our own modems since I got Road Runner in 2001. The new rules are that ALL NEW Oceanic TWC Road Runner customers will have to either buy their own modem OR pay a monthly modem rental fee to use a OTWC modem. All current customers will be grandfathered and will NOT have to pay a rental fee for the modem that has been supplied to them by OTWC. I don't know what the rules are if the grandfathered customer's OTWC modem dies and they are supplied another one by TWC if they still will be grandfathered. I'm happy that I will be able, finally, to buy my own modem whenever this almost 8 year old Surfboard modem dies.

So, I am currently grandfathered with no change in billing charge. When this modem dies, I can buy my own and there will be no change in billing charge. Or, I can let OTWC supply me with another modem and whether grandfather clause will continue to apply I am not sure. I think it will so there would not be much incentive to buy my own modem except that Oceanic generally has the cheapest and crappiest brands and I want another Motorola and they have not had any Motorola ones since 2005.