Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Yodums

join:2012-05-23
Gloucester, ON
reply to JCohen

Re: TPIA Providers for Ottawa

I'll chime in here, because you mentioned your TV comes from streaming, and that you want to go with Acanac.

TekSavvy had a stop-sell in May here in Ottawa and I signed up for Distributel. One of the main things I do online is stream. I subscribe (PPV) to a lot of video game tournaments and streaming was a major problem on Distributel. I was unable to watch any content in 1080p or 720p. It was really strange, because my speeds were great (28/0.5 when I was paying for 18/0.5) and my modem stats are fine, but I even had trouble streaming at 360p or 480p sometimes. I looked into the issue further and found that the issue had affected other users in different locations, as well as Acanac customers. Tech support gave me the regular runaround. They told me my line stats checked out, my speeds were okay, and looking into the issue any further was not necessary. I followed up again with the CSR Admin and she forwarded my issue to a network engineer. He replicated the issue by testing the streaming site on Distributel and using other ISPs and having no issues. He told me his director was aware of the issue and actually looking into it. He mentioned that the resolution required core changes and they were “testing the effects”. He did set out that these changes would come this month, but I canned them and moved to TekSavvy because I wasn’t given an update since June 11th.

Now, I’m on TekSavvy with the same cable line stats, another DCM475, and able to stream without a single issue. Some of the sites I had issues with on Disributel were Twitch.tv (primary site for these PPVs), Vimeo, and CBC. I read other users had issues with Comedy Central. The weird thing about this whole streaming issue was 1080p YouTube was never an issue. It never buffered, once. I believe other users on RFD mentioned they were able to stream Netflix without an issue.

Some links for you:

»Distributel - Problems Streaming
»community.acanac.com/Acanac/view···p=117866
»community.acanac.com/Acanac/view···p=109733
»www.google.ca/search?sugexp=chro···&bih=667

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by Yodums:

....I followed up again with the CSR Admin and she forwarded my issue to a network engineer. He replicated the issue by testing the streaming site on Distributel and using other ISPs and having no issues. He told me his director was aware of the issue and actually looking into it. He mentioned that the resolution required core changes and they were “testing the effects”. He did set out that these changes would come this month, but I canned them and moved to TekSavvy because I wasn’t given an update since June 11th.

Now, I’m on TekSavvy with the same cable line stats, another DCM475, and able to stream without a single issue. Some of the sites I had issues with on Disributel were Twitch.tv (primary site for these PPVs), Vimeo, and CBC. I read other users had issues with Comedy Central. The weird thing about this whole streaming issue was 1080p YouTube was never an issue. It never buffered, once. I believe other users on RFD mentioned they were able to stream Netflix without an issue....

Interesting anecdote.

Then our OP here will need to decide on whether to take a chance that your info about the 'FIX' proves to be good, as they have a firm cancellation of TSI Cable for end of this month.

Speaking of CBC, I view them a lot, and their player looks to yield a 640x352p box on the screen, or is the stream actually of a higher res and the box is under-sized by default ?

If it really IS 640x352, then nearly nobody should have troubles with it.

CTV seems to do the same as CBC, by appearances.