aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Lauriel

Re: motherboard caught fire after system battery replaced

When I operate a mobo not properly installed in its case, especially if the PS is still in the case so the mobo has to be on top of the case, or very close to it, I normally place a 1/4" thick ply under the mobo to make absoluteley sure that I'm not shorting something to the case.

In any case, if I have to assign probabilities to your mishap, I'd say there's a better than 90% chance that you ended up shorting something.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Lauriel
Premium
join:2003-05-25
Sacramento, CA
Yeah...a short, it surely seems to be. With the way the machine was acting BEFORE it ever came out of the case (described in the original post,) I have to wonder if there wasn't a short going on at that point. When I took everything out of the case, the power supply also came out of the case. The board and power supply were nowhere near the case at that point, and were both on top of a thick slab of wood (a wooden table.)

I don't know if the battery replacement was just merely coincidence or not. It was definitely in correctly. I check before and after the fact. I wonder about psafux's response with regard to that? If the old battery were weak, could the new battery have given enough power to send an existing issue over the edge, so to speak?

I guess at this point, my curiosity lies more in the original problem (what was causing THAT,) along with any relation between the original problem and the final spark. I don't know enough about that and would be interested in peoples' takes on all of that.

Thanks!