spc
Search similar:

uniqs
konowl
join:2011-04-04
Carleton Place, ON

konowl

God I hate Bell

I've had Unlimited HSE Bell Internet for about 7 years now.

When I first got it, got 300k/sec. Intermittent problems with the line.

About a year ago (maybe 2), down to 120k/sec. That hasn't changed since. Keep hearing the "you have shitty lines" excuse, but I had a good speed for the previous 5 years.

Today, I'm down to 30k/sec.

Opened a ticket with Bell 10 days ago - no response.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6316.png

So sick of Bell. Shitty thing is? I HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS.

Am I really up shit creak without a paddle?
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep

Premium Member

said by konowl:

Opened a ticket with Bell 10 days ago - no response.

Post in Bell Canada Direct here:

»Bell Canada Direct

The group has a pretty good track record.

Rick
konowl
Carleton Place, ON

konowl

Yeah I also posted there. Had to vent a bit. I've been thinking about starting my own business lately but without a faster internet I'm gonna have to find another off-site solution.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to konowl

Anon

to konowl
I warned Steve a long time ago that the exact same thing would happen to him. They're leaning on you and there's nothin' you can do about it. See if you can get cable internet.
konowl
Carleton Place, ON

konowl

I wish I could. You have no idea how badly I wish I could.

Anonymuss
@rogers.com

Anonymuss to konowl

Anon

to konowl
The distribution cable contains many pairs of copper available for phone lines in a neighbourhood.
It degrades over time.
Individual phone lines are moved from a bad pair to a good pair until there are no more good pairs.
When a customer has a problem and there are no good pairs to move their line to, a cable tech comes out and attempts to repair the pair the customer is currently connected to.
If the pair the customer is on can't be repaired, he will look for another pair that has a better chance of being repairable and fixes that instead, and then moves you over to it.
The pair that can't be fixed is either marked as "unrecoverable", or it will cost too much to repair, it is marked "uneconomical".
Once all the pairs are marked as such, that is the end of any type of pair changes in the area and you get whatever service you can get.
i.e. Disconnections and static when it rains.

So saying it worked fine before, really means nothing.
konowl
Carleton Place, ON

konowl

Would hate to ever see a response that included a line like well if there are no good pairings then they replace the line.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep

Premium Member

said by konowl:

Would hate to ever see a response that included a line like well if there are no good pairings then they replace the line.

Cables or parts of cables used to get replaced on a regular basis. Bell cables were designated as either underground or aerial. Both cables can be either buried or in the air.

Underground cables are the most secure, are in many instances in buried conduits for protection and are pressurized from the office with dried air. The largest cables (usually 2400 pair are paper insulated are about 2.5 inches in diameter). Branches can run from these 2400 pair cables and be paper insulated or plastic insulated and can have as few as 200 - 300 pair.

Aerial cables connect to the underground cables at junction boxes in the street at ground level or on poles. A 900 pair underground cable into the junction cabinet could have 4-300 pair and 2-200 pair cables leaving the box.

Aerial cables are the most problematic. They get cut with a backhoe, chewed on by squirrels, are damaged in car accidents, are damaged by telephone company employees and are more prone to corrosion.

While the short list above can impact underground cables; aerial cables are the worst.

The cable in the alley behind our house was replaced about 12 years ago. Squirrels had caused so much damage that the economics was to replace the cable. With FTTH on its way in and the copper being abandoned; Bell will likely have limited the replacement of copper cables to some very specific circumstances. A cable feeding a home probably isn't one of them.

Rick
konowl
Carleton Place, ON

konowl

Well, when I get FTTH in 10 years I'll be happy I guess. Rural Ottawa area isn't likely to get it for some time.
konowl

konowl to RickStep

to RickStep
Quick research shows we have a 1.25% FTTH penetration. Yippy.
CNewfie
join:2012-08-23

CNewfie to konowl

to konowl
I had a tech come out when I lost phone but dsl still worked, turnt out to be a bad line, dsl only needed one pair. He put me on a good pair and all worked again.

His opinion of all the rural lines was too colorful for here but basically the rural lines are being held together with gum and guntape. So once they have no more spares then the whole neighbourhood is screwed.

Other time I ran over my not properly secured line on the house with a lawnmower, made 2 wires from 1, cant blame them on that one.