share rss forum feed

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to telco_mtl

Re: Respect to experts

I am sure there are good home inspectors out there, but my own experience as well as that of almost everyone I know who has purchased a house would indicate that most home-inspectors think they are much more of experts than they actually are.

During the purchase of my house I walked around with the inspector and discussed the mechanicals of the house with him. One of my concerns was that the house contained knob and tube wiring. I was distracted by a phone call with the real estate agent while the HI looked around the basement. I later came down the stairs and this was the conversation:

ME: "So how much knob & tube did you find?"
HI: "None, this house is fine."
ME: "None? I can see two separate circuits of K&T from where I am standing"
HI: "Oh, that isn't knob and tube, there are any white thingies"
ME: "Um, look another 3 feet to right"
HI: "Oh yeah, I will add that to my report"

Later conversation:
HI: "These radiator systems are great. The only think you have to worry about is the pump going out"
ME: "This is a steam radiator, there is no pump"
HI: "Are you sure?"
ME: "All of the radiators are single pipe. Besides, we are looking right at the boiler. There isn't a pump"
HI: "Oh, well I will change that in the report."

Keep in mind I am a doctor, not a home inspector or tradesperson of any kind. I shouldn't know more than the inspector. I realize that it is difficult for inspectors to know everything about everything. However, it seems like the vast majority use this "checklist" based approach which seems to be overly concerned with whether particular appliances have recalls rather than taking a careful look at the condition of said item or the workmanship (or lack thereof) of installation.

Oh, and this experience clearly strikes a chord with many homeowners. Why else would shows like "Holmes on Homes" be so popular?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

Viper677
Certified Home Inspector

join:2012-03-22
Toronto

said by Fronkman:

I am sure there are good home inspectors out there, but my own experience as well as that of almost everyone I know who has purchased a house would indicate that most home-inspectors think they are much more of experts than they actually are.

During the purchase of my house I walked around with the inspector and discussed the mechanicals of the house with him. One of my concerns was that the house contained knob and tube wiring. I was distracted by a phone call with the real estate agent while the HI looked around the basement. I later came down the stairs and this was the conversation:

ME: "So how much knob & tube did you find?"
HI: "None, this house is fine."
ME: "None? I can see two separate circuits of K&T from where I am standing"
HI: "Oh, that isn't knob and tube, there are any white thingies"
ME: "Um, look another 3 feet to right"
HI: "Oh yeah, I will add that to my report"

Later conversation:
HI: "These radiator systems are great. The only think you have to worry about is the pump going out"
ME: "This is a steam radiator, there is no pump"
HI: "Are you sure?"
ME: "All of the radiators are single pipe. Besides, we are looking right at the boiler. There isn't a pump"
HI: "Oh, well I will change that in the report."

Keep in mind I am a doctor, not a home inspector or tradesperson of any kind. I shouldn't know more than the inspector. I realize that it is difficult for inspectors to know everything about everything. However, it seems like the vast majority use this "checklist" based approach which seems to be overly concerned with whether particular appliances have recalls rather than taking a careful look at the condition of said item or the workmanship (or lack thereof) of installation.

Oh, and this experience clearly strikes a chord with many homeowners. Why else would shows like "Holmes on Homes" be so popular?

The above conversation between you and your HI does not hurt my feelings. There are good and bad inspectors out there just like in any other field/trade.

The problem here is with you not hiring the right home inspector and is not with the home inspectors in general. If you knew that much about building envelope then I would have expected you to hire a better HI.

If you went by what the real estate recommended then its again your fault and you should talk to your realtor about that.
--
Certified Home Inspector
Certified Level 1 Thermographer

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

said by Viper677:

If you went by what the real estate recommended then its again your fault and you should talk to your realtor about that.

Nice of you to just write off my experience by saying that my realtor is the one at fault, not the home inspector who had no business collecting money for the work he was doing.

In fact, I didn't use my realtor at all. I instead obtained recommendations from friends, scoured internet sites like Angie's List. We had a list of 10 companies that we asked for sample reports and resumes of the inspectors. We ultimately chose a company with a BBB rating of A+, an inspector with 25 years of "experience" along with all of the various licensing and certifications. I don't know what more we could have done.
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Viper677

said by Viper677:

The problem here is with you not hiring the right home inspector and is not with the home inspectors in general. If you knew that much about building envelope then I would have expected you to hire a better HI.

Actually, the problem here is that you lost your credibility several days ago, and you may need to do some serious damage control to restore that, if its even possible...

Viper677
Certified Home Inspector

Toronto
reply to Fronkman

said by Fronkman:

said by Viper677:

Nice of you to just write off my experience by saying that my realtor is the one at fault, not the home inspector who had no business collecting money for the work he was doing.

In fact, I didn't use my realtor at all. I instead obtained recommendations from friends, scoured internet sites like Angie's List. We had a list of 10 companies that we asked for sample reports and resumes of the inspectors. We ultimately chose a company with a BBB rating of A+, an inspector with 25 years of "experience" along with all of the various licensing and certifications. I don't know what more we could have done.

I never tried to write-off your experience, I actually gave you credit for your knowledge.

There are good inspectors and there are bad inspectors and unfortunately you hired (unintentionally) someone who was not good enough (based on what was said, i was not there nor i have seen that report so I can not say for sure).
--
Certified Home Inspector

Viper677
Certified Home Inspector

Toronto
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

said by Viper677:

Actually, the problem here is that you lost your credibility several days ago, and you may need to do some serious damage control to restore that, if its even possible...

Not really. I am not really worried about it. You should relax too.
--
Certified Home Inspector

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..

said by Viper677:

said by mattmag:

said by Viper677:

Not really. I am not really worried about it. You should relax too.

I have been passively reading your posts in multiple topics the last few days and have pretty much wrote you off as an arrogant know it all. There is no easy fix for that and I will guarantee most people will start ignoring you.

Your arrogance towards some of the long term members on here, who are licensed in their trades is pathetic. I see that kind of gun ho stuff from rookie muni inspectors or cocky engineers who think they are gods gift. If you are this cocky on the job site, there is a very good chance I would boot you right off the job.

I get to play project manager at work. I am a jack of no trades that has to do everything from site work to dealing with all of the primes to dealing with the engineers. I just finished up a $4million reno project overseeing all phases of the work. When you get to the big leagues you learn the trades can be your friends on a job. Being a prick has its place at times but working with them to get things done gets you a lot farther in life.

Viper677
Certified Home Inspector

Toronto

If you are this cocky on the job site, there is a very good chance I would boot you right off the job.

The only problem with this scenario is that you booting me off the job comes after I decided to let you retain my services. You skipped one step. You will be surprised to find out how many inspection requests i refuse because the client think he can boss me around.

I get to play project manager at work.

The difference is that you are on a payroll and I am a business owner.

You still want to continue with me?
--
Certified Home Inspector