uniqs
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
join:2012-03-22
Toronto

Viper677 to Fronkman

to Fronkman

Re: Respect to experts

In the end, I did my own inspection and made sure that the "official" report included my findings by essentially holding the HI's hand. The sad fact is that the seller will never believe the findings of the buyer but are forced to correct issues that appear in the official report.

You did your own inspection? - works for me. Just one question, how did you manage to inspection roof coverings? Just curious.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

49528867 (banned)

said by Viper677:

You did your own inspection? - works for me. Just one question, how did you manage to inspection roof coverings? Just curious.

Hey how about a couple of questions for you too?

Asphalt shingled roof 125 wind rating, half inch ply deck nailed 16 by 6.

How do you inspect it?

Overhead fed 200 amp (upgraded) service, meter pan and main breaker panel on the exterior of the residence powering the existing distribution panel within the premises.

How do you inspect it?

Same as above, but supplied by buried service conductors.

How do you inspect it?

A home has a natural gas stove, water heater and clothes dryer, the stove has a non-vented hood, the water heater as well as the dryer have a through the ceiling vent.

How do you inspect it?

Same home but propane?

How do you inspect it?

Hope that is not too much, I can tell by your IM’s you have no problem with long responses.

Wayne

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

1 recommendation

Daarken

Premium Member

Its been a while since I dropped some Kudos..
I see several in the near future.
Unfortunately I already gave one guy the middle finger a couple of times in this thread itself.
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
Toronto

Viper677 to 49528867

to 49528867
Four things for you:

How do you inspect it?

1. Last time I checked, I asked Fronkman this question and you aint no Fronkman.

2. The reason why I asked this question was not to question the inspection routine (which you think i did which is why you gave me this list to test me) but I wanted to find out how a normal person can get up on the roof without a ladder. Even though my next question from Fronkman was going to be what did he look for when he inspected his roof (only if he 'managed' to get up on the roof)?

buried service conductors.

3 By this do you mean service laterals? Try using the correct terminology, helps you with branding

you have no problem with long responses.

4 In this case, I kinda do.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
said by Daarken:

Unfortunately I already gave one guy the middle finger a couple of times in this thread itself.

Maybe that should be suggested as a site option in addition to the thumbs up.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Viper677

Mod

to Viper677
said by Viper677:

but I wanted to find out how a normal person can get up on the roof without a ladder.

Where was it stated that no ladder was used? What do you mean by "normal person"? Do home inspectors not use ladders?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

Cho Baka

MVM

said by robbin:

Do home inspectors not use ladders?

Hmmm. Snakes do not use ladders.

The parallels are amazing:

Snakes and Ladders
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
Toronto

Viper677 to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by Viper677:

but I wanted to find out how a normal person can get up on the roof without a ladder.

Where was it stated that no ladder was used? What do you mean by "normal person"? Do home inspectors not use ladders?

I see tiny brains here so let me quarter back for you.

Replace 'normal person' with 'an average home owner'. Now an average person said that he did his own home inspection. I asked how can you manage to inspect roof coverings? And the point of the question was:

An inspection is not completed unless you inspect roof coverings (one of the things inspected during the process). Did the owner inspect the roof coverings? If yes, did he own a 32 ft ladder (unless its a one story bungalow, but you still need a ladder). If by chance he did own a ladder, how did he bring it to the house? I mean did he have a roof rack already installed for that purpose. Lets say the poster did do all of that, what did he look for once he was up on top of the roof?

So the ultimate point of the story was: an average person CAN NOT do his own home inspection, he can 'look around' and that is about it.

Now, I am still waiting to find out what Fronkman has to say on this.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I second that!

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Viper677

Mod

to Viper677
said by Viper677:

said by robbin:

said by Viper677:

I see tiny brains here

I saw that the day you started posting!

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium Member
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

macsierra8 to Viper677

Premium Member

to Viper677
said by Viper677:

"buried service conductors."

By this do you mean service laterals? Try using the correct terminology, helps you with branding

Nice try but… It's a bit hypocritical when you can't use the correct terminology yourself..

Is it electric service lateral or sewer service lateral?

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

Fronkman to Viper677

Premium Member

to Viper677
No, I did not inspect the roof myself, though I do own a 32 foot ladder. The home inspector got on a ladder, looked around and declared that the 10 year old roof with a 30 year warranty had only months left.

Coincidently Our insurance company came out the same day to take a look at the roof. They estimated at least 75% of the life of the roof was remaining.

so who should I believe? The home inspector who has absolutely zero liability if he gets something wrong or the insurance company who is essentially putting their own money on the line by pricing and underwriting a policy based on accurate info. Interestingly the insurance guy spotted the k&t immediately and was instrumental in forcing the sellers hand in paying for electrical work.

I really don't understand your attitude. Lots of home inspectors do lousy jobs. This isn't exactly the greatest mystery of the universe. I know they frequently refer to themselves as "engineers." No one with a real engineering degree is a home inspector.

The bottom line is that I had to babysit the HI and do a bunch of his work for him. No, I did not do the entire inspection myself. First of all, I was PAYING this guy to do it and second of all I certainly am not an expert in many fields of construction. I have learned a lot from reading, advice from some of the folks here and stuff I learned while taking chemistry and physics in college. But I am no expert. All I wanted was an official document to enhance my bargaining position. If that meant that I had to do a bunch of this guys work for him, paying him all the while, so be it.

It makes you feel bad for homeowners with no background.