Savant
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

Savant

Premium Member

Overweight WoW player ruled 'unfit for fatherhood' by judge

Welcome to Canada...

TLDR version: Overweight guy has two kids, and likes to play a lot of WoW. Children's aid gets involved, takes kids, and then gets a judge's order to put the kids up for adoption. (The ex-wife is unfit after having an OD and a mental breakdown.)
quote:
An Ottawa man whose obesity played a factor in whether he was fit enough to be a father has lost custody of his children after a judge ruled Wednesday that his two boys would be put up for adoption.
The court ruling, reviewed by the Citizen, noted that the man, who at one time weighed 525 pounds, may have trouble keeping up his daily weight-loss program while taking care of his four-and six-year-old boys, who both have special needs.

The ruling also noted that the 38-year-old father showed no signs of abuse toward the boys and that he was an avid gamer, playing World of Warcraft, the popular video-fantasy game, for up to 24 hours at a time. (He contends he played it once a week from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.) (link)
Insert "WTF!?" here...

If every fat WoW playing parent lost their kids, there would be a TON of kids up for adoption, in ANY country.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

quote:
while taking care of his four-and six-year-old boys, who both have special needs.

Maybe the fact that the kid's have "special needs" is the reason for it.

I know someone that has a special needs kid. The world revolves around the kid. When ever the kid wants/needs something, the parent has to stop whatever it they are doing and attend the child. Or all hell will break loose.
Maybe that's the type of kids he has. The type that go "crazy" if they feel they are being ignored.

Yes it's silly to take away kids because a parent is fat, but on the same token the guy claims he plays the game a lot of hours. So what type of attention would he be giving his special need kids?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
What does WoW have to do with anything?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
Hold on a second! This article has gotta be false.

I thought only obese fat people came from the United States?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Savant

Mod

to Savant
I got bored in that game for more than an hour of not raiding. What the hell do people do in there? Don't tell me PvP.. that's boring after an hour.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
said by Savant:

Insert "WTF!?" here...

If every fat WoW playing parent lost their kids, there would be a TON of kids up for adoption, in ANY country.

There are a lot of places to insert WTF. He is a single parent of 2 special needs kids and is such an avid player he plays up to 24hours at a time. Like it or not, kids are an investment. WoW is a time-sink. Be a parent first, then a gamer.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

said by Immer:

WoW is a time-sink. Be a parent first, then a gamer.

Truer words have never been spoken...
Vinceruos_t
join:2012-05-04

Vinceruos_t to Savant

to Savant
I think you guys are kind of missing the main point. Paying WoW was not the issue. The issue was thta he was obese weighing in at 525 lbs. Someone who weighs that much cannot keep up with 2 young children by themself. He would probably need help just to take care of himself. Add to the fact that the kids were special needs, I could believe that they were not being properly cared for.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Savant

MVM

to Savant
Might be helpful if they updated the data. My first question was what does he do for money.
said by "Article" :
The judge noted that the father never abused the children and used to run two businesses: a marijuana grow-op and a lucrative computer business.

He is now down to 380. No matter how much he loses he will never be at a normal weight due to the changes his body went through to support 525 pounds.

He hasn't seen his kids in over a year, probably why he has so much time for WoW.
said by "Article" :
In the judge's ruling, the father was described as a "loving" and "intelligent" father who held deep hatred for the Children's Aid Society of Ottawa.

Anyone who has ever had any dealing with one of these agencies probably has the same opinion. Forget guilty until proven innocent. Take the kids first, foul them up in foster care, and then maybe give them back. There are tons of stories on this.

Without knowing the full story I can't give an informed opinion if this this the right decision. The special needs of the children is a big missing piece. They are too much for the father, but:
said by "Article" :
Both boys are in foster care, one in a home run by a single mother with five other children.

That's really a WTF moment.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
note to self: do not get fat in Canada.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I got bored in that game for more than an hour of not raiding. What the hell do people do in there? Don't tell me PvP.. that's boring after an hour.

You're doing it wrong.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl

Premium Member

If you're PvP'ing right you have to fap and epeen for at least 40 minutes of every hour.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Savant

to Savant
Weight doesn't necessarily equate to lack of an ability to care for oneself, others, or children.

I personally weighed 400+ lbs. at one point. But was still quite agile and healthy. Caring for others was not an issue.

Now that I have a family with 5 kids and a wonderful fiancee I have been making an effort to lose weight for the long term health benefits. A long way to go but getting there.

I play Wow extensively and I dare anyone accuse me of being unable to care for a family!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Zyncotl

Premium Member

to Zyncotl
said by Zyncotl:

If you're PvP'ing right you have to fap and epeen for at least 40 minutes of every hour.

Why do people get so butthurt?

Do you realize that your reaction is what people are going for when they "epeen"?

If you don't give a reaction, if you don't respond, if you don't accuse them of flexing their epeen, if you don't QQ - they stop.

Now, they just threw something out there that everyone knows was ridiculous, and no one responded, no one was trolled, and he now looks like a fool.

Learn to PvP, don't blame the trollers that succesfully get you worked up.

Beef7
join:2012-05-16

1 edit

Beef7

If WoW didn't have PvP, I would have never played it!

PvP in WoW has created so many fond memories in my mind its unbelievable.

Epic AV comebacks, open world PvP in Nagrand at the elementals inbetween wrath and cata.

Epic open world PvP in undead town near coast... forget the name of it

single handedly joining a majorly losing BG with my resto druid bud... and mounting a huge comeback

single handedly joining a defense of wintergrasp with my resto druid bud and successfully defending when we should of lost

open world hunting rare pets, and camping the spawn area, which resulted in a huge guild v guild brawl... kept calling in reinforecements so I could get my rare pet!

this doesn't even include grinding 2s, 3s and 5s for days

the most epic of which was probably 5s... 2s was just grinding 40 min matches... suffer
Pryck
join:2012-02-03
Fredericksburg, VA

Pryck

Beef you must have been or are in a branch of the military. Those single handedly statements sound very close to evaluation bullets.

Beef7
join:2012-05-16

Beef7

now that I look back at those statements... all those "single handedly"s were really with my heal bot bud LOL

healers aren't persons

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
With the incomplete facts its hard to judge if the judge got the judgement right. But in my judgment, it seems like at worse they should have continued the temporary suspension of the father's parental rights until he brings things around. Adoption is permanent. It should be the absolute last resort, particularly when the Judge himself describes the father as a "loving" and "intelligent" father who "never abused the children and used to run two businesses".

And then the absolute absurdity of the judge saying that part of the reason these kids have to be removed is they need a two parent family to take care of the special needs, yet the child services put one in the care of a single foster mother with five other kids?!!

I sure hope a judgment like this can appealed in Canada. And I hope the father is strong enough to not succumb to the depression and sadness he is undoubtedly feeling after a setback like this.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

quote:
while taking care of his four-and six-year-old boys, who both have special needs.

Maybe the fact that the kid's have "special needs" is the reason for it.

I know someone that has a special needs kid. The world revolves around the kid. When ever the kid wants/needs something, the parent has to stop whatever it they are doing and attend the child.

maybe thats why he played for 6 hours (10 PM - 4 AM) while the kids are sleeping.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

So he'd be tired/asleep while the kids were wide awake and needing attention.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

1 recommendation

Venom14 to Savant

to Savant
technically ADD is a special need... yet or some reason, these kids know not to play with power tools while running with scissors next to a pool.

Incomplete facts is incomplete. with all the extra crap pulled out of the article it reads like this, "The court ruling noted that the man may have trouble keeping up his daily weight-loss program while taking care of his four-and six-year-old boys, who both have special needs."

And according to the EULA, running a bot is not playing the game. SO what if the game was logged on and a character was active. That doesnt mean he was behind the keyboard; have you seen LFR? he could queue up, accept, then watch Looney Toons with the kids; and win gear. Just saying.

The boys showed no signs of abuse. That includes neglect. Which means he's doing fine. From the facts presented, they shouldn't have been taken in the first place...

Emo kids need to be taken out of their homes due to neglect.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Savant

to Savant
Half ass story is half ass. I do this for a living. Taking kids that is.
Expand your moderator at work

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to Goldheart

to Goldheart

Re: Overweight WoW player ruled 'unfit for fatherhood' by judge

said by Goldheart:

I personally weighed 400+ lbs. at one point. But was still quite agile and healthy.

Only in the US is where you will find this type of thinking.
mettachain

mettachain to Phantasee

to Phantasee
said by Phantasee:

Half ass story is half ass. I do this for a living. Taking kids that is.

Do you own a 1972 Dodge Tradesman by chance?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

said by Goldheart:

I personally weighed 400+ lbs. at one point. But was still quite agile and healthy.

Maybe his opinion of being "agile" at 400lbs. meant being able to lift the TV remote with only one arm?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

touche!

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by mettachain:

said by Goldheart:

Maybe his opinion of being "agile" at 400lbs. meant being able to lift the TV remote with only one arm?

Cute.

I meant agile enough to do daily tasks; walk and run normally. No assistance needed to get off the couch. Sheesh!

Run *far*... well maybe not. Nor gymnastics. But certainly agile enough to take care of normal daily business and moderate exercise.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Savant

Premium Member

to Savant
You know, I first thought this was overkill by the courts...but then I read that thing about him having a diet regimen from 525 pounds. When you weigh more than a 4 member family combined, that's beyond just fat. Keeping on a diet for a condition that serious takes work, and might be too much to juggle on top of being a father - triple-y so that both his boys are special needs.

Adoption though might be a stretch. The boys needs might be too much for his situation to handle right now...but that's no reason to say he couldn't be a fit father once he can fit into a courtroom. Temporary foster care, maybe, but not outright adoption.
Thaler

Thaler to Zyncotl

Premium Member

to Zyncotl
said by Zyncotl:

At 500+ pounds, I don't think an epeen is visible, much less fappable.