spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Hotch
join:2012-06-12

1 edit

Hotch

[Snow] MS Outlook 2011 for Mac--Closed program still communicate

Installed Professional version of MS Office 2011 recently. Nice. It includes Outlook. Newer version is lighting fast compared to previous versions especially on Windows. You really see that with email. Office 2011 is more stable than 2008. (At least for me.)

Outlook is kind of creepy but in a good way. You can set appointments or schedule about anything in the calendar and tell Outlook to remind you X amount of time in advance--like one day.

The creepy part is even when MS Office or Outlook is not "loaded" or not in the open status it will still send a audio/video reminder to your desktop as requested.

I like that but it's seem given the way computers normally work or interface that a closed program can still interject itself into the OS when the box is on but the program is closed is counter intuitive.

I wonder if you can turn that feature off. Just curious. Right now I don't want to turn it off. But some day?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

Re: [Snow] MS Outlook 2011 for Mac--Closed program still communi

what is running is a background 'agent' process that handles reminders, but doesn't have an interface for you to see. In theory, you could kill that process and interrupt the reminders.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Hotch

Premium Member

to Hotch
said by Hotch:

I wonder if you can turn that feature off. Just curious. Right now I don't want to turn it off. But some day?

It's a system process that you installed when you installed outlook

(remember clicking OK when MacOS asked your permission to allow Office to modify the system? Sure you do!)

It's not magic. *nix OSes (including OS X), Windows OS, iOS, heck, any OS that's fairly modern supports background services.

To turn it off: »mac2.microsoft.com/help/ ··· a5328d7c