uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

If you check fibreop.ca they've updated the website for Greater Sudbury, so I'm figuring the rollout is coming fast and furious...they also have a large billboard setup at Barrydowne and Westmount that advertises it...

They're advertising 15/15 for a promo price of $99.95 (includes TV and phone and $119.95 after the promo) and 30/30 with some more tv channels for $149.95 after promo (all $99.95 for the promo price)..

They're going to look at destroying vianet and making a run at Eastlink in the city....I sure hope they come to my area too!...so I can dump my almost 16/1 crap connection.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

What about people who just want the internet?

I hope they aren't gonna make it a mandatory bundle like they do with FibeTV where you must subscribe to their internet as well.

file

join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

If you want just internet you can have just internet. If you want just TV you can have just TV. They'll work with you to get what you want.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by file:

If you want just internet you can have just internet. If you want just TV you can have just TV. They'll work with you to get what you want.

Ah, thats good at least.

avenison

join:2009-12-10

1 edit
reply to nitzguy

Yeah, I also heard a radio advertisement the other daysaying to visit the website.

Looking at the updates they've basically duplicated the pages from the maritime sites, although the packages are listed with fancy graphics now instead of an HTML table. No info on separate services, so no confirmation if they'll be offering 70/30 here (my ST516 is glaring daggers at me), but at least they have the bundle prices up. Interestingly, these are slightly cheaper than out east - the post-intro/get-you-to-sign-a-contract prices for "Good, Better, Best" packages are $16, $6, and $6 less. While at first glance that seems like a perk, it makes me wonder how much their profits are - considering that the varying coastal weather must raise upkeep costs way above say, our drunk drivers hitting the poles. Or one would hope...

The FAQ had me expecting a trollface to pop up. Some things that stood out:

1. Digs at Persona and whoever is selling their services: "[...] FibreOP delivers the only Internet that lets you Upload a 250 MB video in 1 minute - The cable company can’t come close to that upload speed."

2. No charge for installation. What? For real? We are clearly dealing with a different Bell.

3. Whose is bigger: boasting speeds they don't currently offer (or at least don't advertise): "Customers can access download speeds of up to 250Mbps and upload speeds of 30 Mbps [...]". Wait, why would the fastest upload speed be 30Mbps? Not that I'm complaining, but is there a technical reason? We're not talking about ADSL anymore here...

4. Apparently Bell Canada forgot to mention some things to Bell Aliant, otherwise I'm guessing this wouldn't have made it into the page:
" Q: The cable companies say they have 'fibre' too? Is that true?"
" A: The cable company’s fibre stops somewhere in your neighborhood. Then the signal converts into regular cable from there into your home. So the FibreOP network is actually connected right into your home, while the cable company is not."

Oh no! There are companies misrepresenting Fibe?! I mean, fibre? No wait, hmm. Nevermind.

5. Next item:
" Q: Is FibreOP really that much better than other alternatives?"
" A: FibreOP is a 100% fibre optic network that connects straight to your home so everything works faster, easier and better. Cable is not connected straight to your home so you share your network."

There are at least 3 things wrong here, but I'm sure this post is already too long. They say a Free Wireless Modem is included, does anyone know what the hardware is? Are they accessible by the user? Can I install Tomato on it?

file

Riverview, NB

I can answer a few of your questions/thoughts.

1. The website doesn't show you every possible combination you can get FibreOP services, you have to call for that.

2. If you go on a one year contract there is no charge for installation. If you don't I think it's $149.95. This is actually a bargain in my opinion because installing FibreOP can take anywhere from 4 hours to an entire day. Or two worst case.

3. There is no technical reason they can't increase the upload speed beyond 30Mbps. That is just what they have decided from a competitive perspective.

4. The included router (which has built-in wireless) is the Actiontec R1000H. It runs Linux but you can't build a custom firmware image and you can't install Tomato. If you want to replace this with a different device and have only internet it is easy if the new device supports VLANs. If you have TV service it becomes much more complicated. I have created custom firmware for the Asus RT-N56U which makes it a drop-in replacement and works perfectly.

avenison

Hi again. I haven't been around lately, sorry about the late replies.

@file

Regarding installation, it depends where you're looking. You said installation is free w/contract; the FibreOP Internet page (on Bell Aliant's maritime site, see fine print section) says free w/contract but for FibreOP TV subscribers, while fibreop.ca states "Free professional installation is included for every customer." (emphasis mine.) A $150 fee for a bundled installation would be reasonable (and with most people's wiring, even a bargain), but for an internet-only connection that's rather steep.

Thank you for the info about the router - the site gave me the impression that it is an integrated device, so I'm glad to learn this is not the case. I'll probably just leave Tomato on my RT-N16 and use that.

@johnB

Thanks for the details regarding the roll-out. Was the Lasalle target met? Is there a tentative date for areas off of Notre Dame?

I also have a bunch of other questions, hooray!

1. In my area the POTS lines are on their own poles going through backyards/alleyways. I presume this is where they will be running the fibre, as opposed to sharing the street-side poles with hydro and cable?

2. Can you tell me what model ONTs are provided?

3. Will installation of the ONTs be strictly outside? I'd prefer to have it installed in the basement beside my existing demarcation point, both to discourage tampering and to avoid running power outside.

4. How does FibreOP's backup power system compare to a POTS landline?

5. Any idea when Sudbury-specific terms of service will be available?

JohnB

@184.151.63.x

The ONT(optical network terminal, for those who didn't know) is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. It is always mounted indoors, usually wear existing wiring enters the home. The battery back up provides 8 hours of phone USE, and a lot more for standby time. However, cordless phones would still not work no matter what technology the phone line used.

The address the comment about backyard poles, there are cases in Sudbury where yes, we have ran the fibre along that line. However, there are also cases(holland ave) where it was ran on the pole which carries hydro and cable only prior to fibreop.

JohnB

@184.151.63.x
reply to avenison

Here is a picture of the exact model being used

»twimgs.com/nojitter/ehk/December···20f1.png

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by JohnB :

Here is a picture of the exact model being used

»twimgs.com/nojitter/ehk/December···20f1.png

wheres the rj11 for phone ?

JohnB

@184.151.63.x

From the ONT, an Ethernet cable runs into an Actiontek router. From there, a coax runs to the TV and the phone line is run to either the phone or splitter.

kovy

said by JohnB :

From the ONT, an Ethernet cable runs into an Actiontek router. From there, a coax runs to the TV and the phone line is run to either the phone or splitter.

Ok so the Actiontek router has a POTS port?

file

Riverview, NB

The ONT has two phone ports, thus making it capable of having two phone lines. Internally it's like the VoIP hardware adapters that are available for other services. The difference is the VoIP traffic is run over a dedicated network straight to the equipment back at the central office. The linked picture seems to be of a model without this capability (there are different ones as some providers do not need it).

kovy

said by file:

The ONT has two phone ports, thus making it capable of having two phone lines. Internally it's like the VoIP hardware adapters that are available for other services. The difference is the VoIP traffic is run over a dedicated network straight to the equipment back at the central office. The linked picture seems to be of a model without this capability (there are different ones as some providers do not need it).

That's what I was saying lol.

avenison

reply to JohnB

said by JohnB :

The ONT(optical network terminal, for those who didn't know) is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. It is always mounted indoors, usually wear existing wiring enters the home. The battery back up provides 8 hours of phone USE, and a lot more for standby time. However, cordless phones would still not work no matter what technology the phone line used.

The address the comment about backyard poles, there are cases in Sudbury where yes, we have ran the fibre along that line. However, there are also cases(holland ave) where it was ran on the pole which carries hydro and cable only prior to fibreop.

Ok, glad they're going with the inside ONTs - it seems they were using the outdoor grey-box type when the available documents were written ( »productsandservice.bellaliant.ne···uide.pdf ). Regardless of where they're running the conduit I should be able to have it installed where I need it then.

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

You seem to have sidestepped my questions about expected delivery dates, but hopefully we will hear more soon?

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by avenison:

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

My guess is not to power failure simply because there won't be any traditional "power" running down this fibre line? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe beams of light can be used for electrical conductivity?

In regards to the delivery dates, just look for where that truck is with the trailer and the big sign attached, it was at the Rexall at Westmount and Barrydowne a couple months ago and if you look in the street tool, you can see some streets have been added...sadly mine hasn't yet, but I do see some of the markings in my area for what looks to be Bell equipment...I'll take a picture of it soon and post it up here...I would figure those areas would be first since they have the locates all done.