Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Firefox 'New Tab' Feature Exposes Users' Secured Info

I just closed and re-started Opera (automatically restores previous session) while reading this thread. Browser was usable within two seconds under Opera 12.

But then I don't have a hundred tabs like you do. I get annoyed when I have more than a dozen or so open and start wanting to use em or lose em.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by sivran:

But then I don't have a hundred tabs like you do. I get annoyed when I have more than a dozen or so open and start wanting to use em or lose em.

I can't imagine 100 tabs at once - I think I would find it impossible to know which one I need to go to.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

said by sivran:

I can't imagine 100 tabs at once - I think I would find it impossible to know which one I need to go to.

It would be, at least for me, without some help. At a minimum: Tab Mix Plus »tmp.garyr.net/ - Tab browsing with an added boost. and Tree Style Tab »piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_t ··· .html.en .
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

I just closed and re-started Opera (automatically restores previous session) while reading this thread. Browser was usable within two seconds under Opera 12.

It's not usually "100". Currently, I have 35 on Opera. I am not concerned about the speed of browser starting. I don't often shut a browser down so speed of starting doesn't matter for me. Same with Windows. Buying a computer with a small SSD for fast booting is not something I care that much about because I rarely boot/reboot. I have a desktop that runs 24/7 where the hard disks are never turned off and the browsers are not closed, my virtual machines run 24/7 on the host and I don't shut them down either. In fact, why would I be shutting down my host or even rebooting when that means I have to first shut down the virtual machine(s)? UGH. It seems to me that this concern among browser makers about this fast start for browsers may be a legitimate concern for laptop users but not most desktop users.

Besides, on Fx, I have used TBE since Mozilla Suite days (where I first used the extension on Mozilla Suite) and it is on the list of Fx extensions that are known to slow Fx down...whatever that means. I use Fx because of it so I guess I really could care less about how fast a browser starts. I want my TBE! I am not a typical user that is for sure...but Fx was originally designed for folks like me and it has sure gotten away from its roots in its obsessive fear of Chrome.

I will be happy to have a new computer with 16GB RAM (or more if I can wait a few more months) so I don't have to shut anything down due to RAM limitations. Currently, because I cannot add more RAM to this computer, I have to shut down Fx and SM when they start using too much RAM (Opera is ok though).
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

said by Mele20 :

.... It seems to me that this concern among browser makers about this fast start for browsers may be a legitimate concern for laptop users but not most desktop users. ...

MoFo does seem to have become obsessed with this. The driving importance of giving Buffy and "instant on" (FaceBook) fix is even mentioned in one of the Blog posts about silent updates,. maybe in one of these below...

»www.brianbondy.com/blog/id/133/
»lawrencemandel.com/2012/ ··· erience/