spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gcinsetn

join:2004-09-05
Cleveland, TN

HomeFusion to an address in a Verizon 4G LTE Extended Area?

I have been anxiously awaiting Verizon LTE HomeFusion connectivity in my area in hopes that I could install and discontinue my Wildblue Internet service. The street address here in the boonies shows to be in the Verizon 4G LTE Extended Area but my house is actually at the end of our half mile driveway and actually surveyed to be 75+ feet higher on top of a ridge. The back of the house looks North and North-West toward a Verizon tower approximately that is visible and maybe 10 miles away. Looking at the Verizon coverage map, a large part of our land is shown as having Verizon 4G LTE coverage area (due to higher elevation). The house is included in this area. The day after HomeFusion was announced for my area I went into the local store and was able to talk them in to sending someone out to verify coverage at the house.

The short story is they sent a guy out and he measured a download speed of 12 Mbps and 5 Mbps upload speed from our back deck. He also measured the signal available in front of the house at 9 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload.

So now after umpteen phone calls, a lot of head scratching at the Verizon store, Verizon Support as well the contract installers I cannot have HomeFusion installed. What I have been told is that when they actually try to enter the install order into the system it tells them the address is in an Extended Area and cannot be entered. I am told their system would have to be modified before my order could be placed. And that maybe someone could add a field to the order placement screen to get around this problem. But to date I have no promises from anyone of anything ever happening to get HomeFusion installed.

So yes, I am pretty much SOL as far as I can see right now. Any suggestions are welcome.

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

Millenicom offers a similar plan that uses the Verizon 4G LTE system...

»www.millenicom.com/page/plans#4g···pot_plan

You'd need to do your own setup if you need an external antenna, but many on this forum can help you through the process.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to gcinsetn

Same here. My brother is an "extended area". on the map....However, at the end of his street (about 1/4 mile), it shows 4GLTE.

Same at my house, same city, At the end of my street (about 12 houses), shows the darker area, but where my house sits is an "extended area".

Out of curiousity, I tried one of the 4GLTE hotspots, and it only achieved about 5mbps down, and 1 up. Definately not full 4GLTE!
Returned it (trying it for my brother).

I dont believe those people who claim they are getting 30--end 40mbps out of HomeFusion. Their speed test has to be inflated.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to dmc271

Its the same 4510 mifi I tested from wal-mart. Unless you're in the DARK 4GLTE area on the coverage map, don't expect much.

said by dmc271:

Millenicom offers a similar plan that uses the Verizon 4G LTE system...

»www.millenicom.com/page/plans#4g···pot_plan

You'd need to do your own setup if you need an external antenna, but many on this forum can help you through the process.

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK
reply to gcinsetn

I use a UML290 modem rather than the MiFi. However, I'm in an extended area (~7 miles from the nearest tower), and with an external antenna, I can hit 20+ Mbps DL. Without the antenna, it's hard to lock on to a 4G signal, but when it does, it gets--like you observed--around 5 Mbps down.

So, my observations are that with a properly aimed external antenna, you don't need to be in a dark red area, but you need to be close enough to the tower's reach. I think the external antenna is one of the main reasons HomeFusion users can get decent speeds.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

It was stated that the cantenna that HOMEFUSION uses has multiple antennas in the enclosure....so that would be better than a regular usb modem or hotspot could pull

said by dmc271:

I use a UML290 modem rather than the MiFi. However, I'm in an extended area (~7 miles from the nearest tower), and with an external antenna, I can hit 20+ Mbps DL. Without the antenna, it's hard to lock on to a 4G signal, but when it does, it gets--like you observed--around 5 Mbps down.

So, my observations are that with a properly aimed external antenna, you don't need to be in a dark red area, but you need to be close enough to the tower's reach. I think the external antenna is one of the main reasons HomeFusion users can get decent speeds.

blizztry400

join:2012-03-10
reply to gcinsetn

Like dmc271 said, Millenicom will be your best bet.

You have at least completed the most daunting task -- seeing if you can make the connection. The thread below has a couple of experiences with people making strong connections with external antennas. I also believe there are a couple of other threads with similar experiences floating around the forum.

»LTE with Antenna Results

Also, Jim in Va's site is a great resource if your unfamiliar with using antennas to increase your signal strength.

I'm almost in an identical situation as you...I just convinced Verizon to send someone out to test strength in my area(also just right next to dark red). However, if I get good results like you, I'll probably follow the same fate, and be restricted by their system.

Keep us updated on your process.

i want fios

join:2012-06-07
Charlotte, TN
reply to gcinsetn

get you a smartphone and mobile hotspot plan ive been testing two 4g lte modems lgvl600 and a novatel and the phones with hotspot are faster i tested a lg spectrum 20 mbs down 10 mbs up and a samsung charge got the same speeds the modems both got around 13 mbs down 6mbs up hope this helps goodluck

shortfilmguy

join:2010-02-14
Sugar Land, TX
reply to compuguybna

I have home fusion and have gotten up to 30mbps. Usually though it runs around 10-12. Those speeds were NOT achieved through a speedtest. Just simply downloading a large file.

Larry VA

@myvzw.com
reply to gcinsetn

Same here about Home Fusion. I purchased UML290 modem & Wilson panel antenna with 20' low loss cable. Went from no 4G signal to -80 db and 14 Mb download speed. Steady for 3 weeks now. I was told Home Fusion had to be excellent signal so they wouldn't talk with me from my given address. CradlePoint router.
I'm extremely pleased... forget the hassle with Home Fusion.

Doowah

@mycingular.net

But you don't have same plan that way, correct? Using your own device, $80 for 10gb. Using home fusion it's $90 for 20gb. That is the main reason I'm getting fusion.

Larry VA

@myvzw.com

Home Fusion does not allow 3G fall back which came in handy when the 4G tower went out during our wind storm. And 4G is out this morning, so I switched over to 3G again from another tower. Not possible with Home Fusion from what I understand.

Good luck with waiting for Home Fusion. I gave up. 14 Mb speed is sweet! When we need 500 MB, the difference between 10 and 20 is not much when streaming movies.