dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

Oh that's what I meant =) I did mean by Metro UI/Start Screen would be the same in 8 when you click "start".

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I think it’s a bit of an understatement to suggest that Metro is simply a Start menu replacement. I mean I agree that when I use it I can think of it as such but there are additional menu settings outside of the traditional Start menu that are accessible in Metro mode. I just think it’s a bit of an oversimplification to think of Metro as an expanded or glorified Start menu. I also fully expect that Microsoft will add even more menus and control panels to Metro in the future making the experience even more enveloping.

Anyway, I can deal with Metro (I kind of like it too now) and you can deal with it but clearly many others are either unwilling or unable to adjust to it. Metrosoft,….ummmm I mean Microsoft runs the risk of vilifying “Tiles”,…ummmm I mean “Windows” and its new Metro interface if it feels like a forced agenda to the user / administrator.

Real or not, if the perception is that Metro is an unusable dog then that is what it will be in the minds of the populous. In some cases reality is what people make it. In other words it’s the perception of reality, not necessarily reality itself that often shape our world.
Razzy

1 edit

Razzy

said by Octavean:

I think it’s a bit of an understatement to suggest that Metro is simply a Start menu replacement. I mean I agree that when I use it I can think of it as such but there are additional menu settings outside of the traditional Start menu that are accessible in Metro mode. I just think it’s a bit of an oversimplification to think of Metro as an expanded or glorified Start menu. I also fully expect that Microsoft will add even more menus and control panels to Metro in the future making the experience even more enveloping.

Anyway, I can deal with Metro (I kind of like it too now) and you can deal with it but clearly many others are either unwilling or unable to adjust to it. Metrosoft,….ummmm I mean Microsoft runs the risk of vilifying “Tiles”,…ummmm I mean “Windows” and its new Metro interface if it feels like a forced agenda to the user / administrator.

Real or not, if the perception is that Metro is an unusable dog then that is what it will be in the minds of the populous. In some cases reality is what people make it. In other words it’s the perception of reality, not necessarily reality itself that often shape our world.

Maybe. I do like it better than traditional Start Menu. Way better. I mean I don't see many people going through their "All Programs" list to run their software every time. I see them loading software via pinned taskbar OR desktop icons - that's it. Barely the start menu. And I'm very sure it will improve over time. This is just a start (no pun intended)

And yea there are way too many ignorant people here that just takes others word for it - just like Vista days. I expected it.

More info:

»blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/arch ··· een.aspx

Have you ever right clicked on start corner?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

I see them loading software via pinned taskbar OR desktop icons - that's it.

I just type a few letters for what I want to run and then click it

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Razzy:

I just type a few letters for what I want to run and then hit "enter".

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Razzy:

I just type a few letters for what I want to run and then hit "enter".

Yep that works if the thing you want is the only thing found...
Razzy

Razzy to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Yeah me too, most average people still doesn't know that they could just start typing and get what they want.