2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson

Re: I absolute agree with Karl about the last

i think a lot of shows became popular on smaller networks, because people had access to them...off the top of my head...mad men, breaking bad, jersey shore (unfortunatly), queer eye

if we had a la carte options, those might not have existed.

i am torn on the subject.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

i think a lot of shows became popular on smaller networks, because people had access to them...off the top of my head...mad men, breaking bad, jersey shore (unfortunatly), queer eye

There are very few actual small networks with slots on cable and satellite providers. The little niche channels are run by huge media outlets that don't want to step outside of the prime time box they shove down everyone's throat. With DVRs available almost universally there is no point in a live viewing schedule for most programming that isn't actually live. Stream it the night before and put a hold on it till the broadcaster wants it seen then everyone who wants to see it brings it up from the dvr.

It all just needs a little change of the ways and some coordination between those with the tech to do it and those with the content.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit

elefante72 to baineschile

to baineschile
Well keep in mind there are like 5 companies that control all of cable TV, so it's not like the mom and pops are trying to break into cable. Almost every mom and pop got run off simply because they got squeezed off BY consolidation.

It could take nothing for these guys to move TV shows around or sprinkle them selectively among their stations to get a certain viewership.

For instance if I didn't sub to cable I can get all of the old Mad Men on netflix and this season on whatever VOD for $20. I could always wait a year for when it is free...

So lets go over your list:

Mad Men, Breaking Bad (Cablevision-> Rainbow -> Public Company) -> AMC
Jersey Shore -> MTV, owned by Viacom
Queer Eye -> Bravo, FLN (Bravo was AMC, FLN is Scripps Network) Bravo is owned by COMCAST

OK:

AMC: (AMCX)
Scripps: (SNI)
MTV: Viacom (VCX)
Bravo: NBCU -> Comcast (CMCSA)

So you can see that these are not little old poor mom and shops, these are publicly owned Fortune 1000 companies whose sole responsibility it to take as much money from you as possible.

Take Univision -> it was public until it was purchased by big VC capital: In March 2007, Univision Communications, Inc. was sold to Broadcasting Media Partners, Inc. which includes Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC, Providence Equity Partners Inc., TPG Capital, L.P., Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P., and Saban Capital Group Inc.

Take your lowly ESPN owned by a small companies: Hearst, and Disney

Lets take some women's channels:

Hallmark (Hallmark International) -> Crown (CRWN)
Lifetime - Hearst/Disney
Lifetime Medical Channel ->Viacom
Oxygen Networks -> NBCU -> Comcast
WeTv -> Lifetime channel -> Hearst/Disney
Style Network -> NBCU -> Comcast

AA:

BET -> Viacom (VCX)

WBLK - The minority radio station in my town is owned by TownSquare Media which owns over 150 channels based out of Greenwich, CT. I don't know if you have been to Greenwich but my brown skin qualifies as the help.

I don't see many minorities or poor souls scrapping by in this list, DO YOU?????
Expand your moderator at work