spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scoopy03

join:2003-05-06

Rebundled to 75/35 Today Installation 2 Weeks away?

I just called today to have my fios rebundled for the 25/25 extreme hd and freedom essentials to 75/35 extreme hd digital voice (free hd settop box for 18 mo and free multiroom dvr for 18 mo). I just got the confirmation email and it state the installation date for July 11th. Am I missing something here?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Sounds like much of that could be applied almost on the spot. Internet and TV, sure. Not sure about DV but it seems to be mostly software based provisioning as they don't exactly need to send a tech to you, unless they are coming to give you a new router and check connections out, or replace the ONT!

scoopy03

reply to scoopy03
Ill have to call back and see exactly what they say. Will keep you posted.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
If the MRDVR or STB is new and being sent to you, the install date will be listed far in advance, but you will receive the box earlier. If it is current equipment then who knows....

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY
reply to scoopy03
Do you have an old ONT that maxes out at 29 up or something? That's the only reason I can think of that would warrant a service call for 75/35

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
kudos:1
reply to scoopy03
I went from 35/35 to 75/35 and the higher speeds kicked in about 2 hours later. BUT they fell back to the old speeds the next day and stayed there until I rebooted the Verizon router a couple of days later. Today I hit 84/39 on the Verizon test and 75/38 on speedtest.net.

I'll be testing every day for a week just to make sure there is no ongoing issue with the Verizon router.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to scoopy03
Keep in mind I was told my a friend, that works for Verizon FIOS, that they are having alot of customers upgrade to the new quantum speeds and in many of the VHO's they have to add more hardware to accomodate the orders. This could very well be why many people are reporting long wait times for what seems like a simple flick of a switch.

BTW that information is regarding my local VHO that is located in Freehold, NJ.

scoopy03

reply to kes601
I picked up my MRDVR today from a local verizon office.

no_coin

join:2002-10-17
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to scoopy03
Sorry for butting in. Similar story here.

"upgrade" from 25/15 quadplay to 50/25 tripleplay. Confirmation says goto Whats Next and confirm install date. But that site has no confirm option! It simply shows an order status with an activation date (next day), but no installation date. Am assuming that no new hardware needs to be installed. Its a bit confusing - will call to find out the real deal.

lovingfios

@verizon.net
reply to sholling
Well same here. I called verizon and asked o be re-bundled o quanum. My current deal stays in place with free dvr life and other discounts. Wen from 50/25 to 75/35 in about 45 minutes. Problem is that i dont test near 75/35 but instead get closer to 100/34. i guess in the beginning they give users extra fluff speed. Who would have thought that we would be getting 100/35 for essentially 49 dollars. when just a few years ago the boys at CV were waxing poetic about the blazing fast ultra at 100mps. I guess when he technology catches up we should be able to download a Blue Ray movie in about 2-3 minutes.

scoopy03

reply to scoopy03

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
Not all ONT's are created equal, some will not do the 75/35 - go to www.verizon.com/whatsnext with your order number, and see if there is a faster date.

scoopy03

said by hubrisnxs:

Not all ONT's are created equal, some will not do the 75/35 - go to www.verizon.com/whatsnext with your order number, and see if there is a faster date.

Right above your post. They made the change official on yesterday on the 11th. I did try countless times to get it changed to no avail of moving it up.

DGIB

@db.com
reply to scoopy03
How did you get the free multi room DVR and settop box included? I tried via a chat session and was told to try again in 10 months time?

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
They placed the order before Verizon stopped offering Free Multi-Room DVR.

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
i was just on the phone changing my bundle, actually downgraded to Prime HD + Sports Package(literally every channel i ever watched while having...the highest tier and saved $5 total by upgrading to the 50/25 (60/30 overhead on tests) from the 40/25

she did say if i wanted to go up to the next internet tier of 75 they would have to change hardware, but the 40/25 was more than enough and i do a crap load of streaming but a bit more wont be bad cause im gonna sign up for Netflix

all changes happened pretty much isntantlly, did have to call up an have them put me back on Ethernet tho since apparently the request to switch to MOCA which was months ago and i finally gave up calling and having them tell me they didnt see any ticket for it and now prefer the Ethernet abilities, finally was pushed thru when they saw my service change notice =/

xocsucram

1 edit
reply to DGIB
said by DGIB7:

How did you get the free multi room DVR and settop box included? I tried via a chat session and was told to try again in 10 months time?

you can do that for free with the full QIP7200+ DVRs, just activate it in the DVR menus and you can see anything recorded on each box, and even set up/delete recordings for all of them from any box.

im assuming the actual MRDVR bundle is just 1 standard DVR which can still only record 2 shows at a time and the other boxes have no recording capabilities at all, so i dont see how a 2+ person household situation would benifit from that cause then you have to manage recording schedules with multiple ppl rather than just handle your own an everyone still has access to it if they want. or use the others for additional recording if nessisary

gadgetboyj

Staten Island, NY
said by xocsucram:

said by DGIB7:

you can do that for free with the full QIP7200+ DVRs, just activate it in the DVR menus and you can see anything recorded on each box, and even set up/delete recordings for all of them from any box.

im assuming the actual MRDVR bundle is just 1 standard DVR which can still only record 2 shows at a time and the other boxes have no recording capabilities at all, so i dont see how a 2+ person household situation would benifit from that cause then you have to manage recording schedules with multiple ppl rather than just handle your own an everyone still has access to it if they want. or use the others for additional recording if nessisary

Yes, if you have a QIP7200+ you can use it, but you still pay for that box. With the "Multi-Room DVR For Life" deal they're no longer doing, you get charged for that box.

You are also correct in that with the deal, they gave one DVR and one standard box. It may not be the most convenient for a family, especially if they want to record different things at the same time.

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to scoopy03
I have the triple play 35/35 with a 2 year contract. If I upgrade to 75/35 would that change my contract?
Thanks.

xocsucram

said by dsless:

I have the triple play 35/35 with a 2 year contract. If I upgrade to 75/35 would that change my contract?
Thanks.

the price will obviously increase but if you mean cancellation fees , then no, as long as you keep the service in some way till the contract is over

AxelGrande

@verizon.net
reply to scoopy03
I was at 35/35 and went to 75/35, the maximum that was offered. As I understand it some geos get the 150/300 options but the older ones do not. Yes, they had an install date though I was an "original" FiOS customer from the day the service came available in Southlake, Tx.

Bottom line:

1. They replaced my ancient ONT with a new shiny one, gave me a new DHCP router, which I still have in the box, and continue to use the PPPoE router.
2. I am maxed out at 60mbps/39 up because of incompetent NTs at the server side. They have my "speed profile" setup correctly to 75/35 but the system reverts back after a few hours because of something to do with the TV service auto-compensating for on-demand bandwidth. If I call in, they see this, change it real quick and voila I have the 84/39 I see reported here. 4 hours later capped back at 60. No one knows what's going on. Very frustrating.

What is the compensation for not getting near the advertised speed by the equivalent difference of 10 T1 lines? Nothing but wasted time.

One interesting note here. A truck tech came by today and told me I was on MoCA and I couldn't believe it. All the time I thought the Ethernet coming from the ONT was delivering Internet (through the neat fios labeled wall jack installed in 2005). Nope. She pulled the plug on that and everything goes over coax.

gadgetboyj

Staten Island, NY
Your bandwidth shouldn't be capped for On Demand, they actually provide extra bandwidth for it, which is why you get 84/39 on your speed test when it's working correctly. Do you think maybe a tech in the Verizon Direct forum here could help you permanently resolve your issue?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to AxelGrande
said by AxelGrande :

1. They replaced my ancient ONT with a new shiny one, gave me a new DHCP router, which I still have in the box, and continue to use the PPPoE router.

Routers are not DHCP or PPPoE. That is an attribute of your connection, not the router. All VZ routers support both DHCP and PPPoE. The router will auto-detect the connection type. If you were on PPPoE, it's likely that you were moved to a DHCP connection.

What is the hardware revision of the original router?
If you're still running the rev. A, I would strongly recommend moving to the rev. I they gave you. The rev. I is a must faster router with a much larger NAT table than the rev. A.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to scoopy03
If you are on a current contract, did they change the end date? When I went from Freedom Essentials to DV, they changed my end date to another 24 months from the date of the change, which I did not know at the time.

AxelGrande

@verizon.net
reply to More Fiber
Guys, thanks for the responses. I stayed up late last night and plugged in the new router...voila! 84/39 Mbps! So, lesson learned, don't use the Westell router with Quantum or it will auto-provision you down to a different speed category. To be clear, the Westell was definitely capable of the speed, since both times immediately after the speed profile was changed it went to 84 Mbps. I was told Westell would work BTW. I didn't want to swap and mess with adding all my FW rules back. One point to note: the Westell conf file would not port to the Rev I router.

gadgetboyj

Staten Island, NY
said by AxelGrande :

One point to note: the Westell conf file would not port to the Rev I router.

The configuration files are also not compatible from one generation of router to the next.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by gadgetboyj:

said by AxelGrande :

One point to note: the Westell conf file would not port to the Rev I router.

The configuration files are also not compatible from one generation of router to the next.

They are also not compatible from one model to another of the same type. Config is encrypted, and the key is unique.

AxelGrande

@verizon.net
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Routers are not DHCP or PPPoE. That is an attribute of your connection, not the router. All VZ routers support both DHCP and PPPoE. The router will auto-detect the connection type.

Understood, and i used to have to enter Verizon username and password to connect with PPPoE, now everything is automatic. Does that mean I'm DHCP? Last hijack of this thread, but what is the Ethernet cable jack (which goes to the ONT) used for? It is no longer connected to my router. Why was it even installed 6+ years ago if I have been MoCA all this time?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by AxelGrande :

now everything is automatic. Does that mean I'm DHCP?

Not specifically. Check the main status page of your router. It will tell you if your connection type is PPPoE or DHCP.
said by AxelGrande :

what is the Ethernet cable jack (which goes to the ONT) used for? It is no longer connected to my router. Why was it even installed 6+ years ago if I have been MoCA all this time?

You may have been connected via cat5 and were switched to MOCA at some point. Early ONTs such as the 610 and 611 did not support MOCA.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

AxelGrande

@verizon.net
That explains it...I had a 610 up until a month ago when I upgraded to Quantum 75/35.