uniqs
share rss forum feed

chitown7777

join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL
reply to sllywhtboy

Re: VPN PPTP

said by sllywhtboy:

L2TP and PPTP both require some NAT helpers, both of which seem to be missing from these arris gateways...

Then why does WOW phone support only have PPTP documented as the problem protocol? Argh. I'm still annoyed that they don't warn people about this prior to install. Very Comcast like move.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
PPTP is the only VPN we're aware of having issues. We use IPSec internally, and none of our employees have had any issues connecting to the office using the gateways. I have sent you a private message with some more information, please check that and get back to me.

chitown7777

join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL
OK, so it turns out that the IT guy who initially looked into the L2TP/IPSec issue really didn't look into it sufficiently (if at all). This became apparent when I noticed it was bombing out before it even tried to communicate with the server. She had another IT resource look into it for her and it turns out there WAS an issue with the laptop configuration they gave her...it just never materialized before since she had been connecting with PPTP by default. Now it's fixed, we tested it at home, and stuff is working great.

Thanks Dan for the IM and the info...you rock. We're all good now.