Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey

Re:  

said by rcdailey:

Come to think of it and checking my options, I have Firefox set to "don't load tabs until selected," the same as you do...

Where is that GUI setting? I haven't found it in Fx, TMP, or Session Manager. I guess it's post Fx 11.0, or ?

I have noticed, that starting some uncertain time in the past month or four, but definitely post upgrading from 3.x, upon Restarts and/or Session Loads, some tabs will be blank, with only the url listed in the GoTo field, which must be clicked to load the tab. Double-clicking the tab to actually load it, results in a blank tab once again.

It's really annoying, and a huge waist of time when running with so many tabs, and extensions to keep updated.

I wasn't sure what to first suspect, but thought at some point I would start with extensions, like TMP, Session Manager, and TBE, and even NS and Secure Sanitize

Is this what you all are referring to as tabs not loaded until selected?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Not sure when the option appeared. It is under the General tab in Options. My desktop has Firefox 7 and PaleMoon 12 on it. FF 7 lacks the option, but it's present in PaleMoon.

So, if it's not in your FF 11, it must have been added in 12.

I rather like it, especially on my laptop which I take to places which may have a portal on their wifi. If FF tried to load all the tabs, I'd end up with a half dozen tabs sitting on the portal page.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

Thanks sivran See Profile for your response. Please see my above response. It does make sense to be able to control this just as you mention. Thanks again!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

to Bobby_Peru
I "think" it's a default setting in Firefox 13, but I am not using Firefox at the moment because I am not on my personal computer. I am trying to remember if it's in the General options or in one of the other panels in Options. However, you do not have to dig deep to find it. If you have an earlier version of Firefox, it probably does not matter.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

Not sure when the option appeared. It is under the General tab in Options. My desktop has Firefox 7 and PaleMoon 12 on it. FF 7 lacks the option, but it's present in PaleMoon.

Firefox 8, November 2011.
quote:
Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Bobby_Peru

to Bobby_Peru
> Where is that GUI setting?

I posted a link (the second) in this post, »Re: Firefox 'New Tab' Feature Exposes Users' Secured Info.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

said by sivran:

Firefox 8, November 2011.
quote:
Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored

Then Mozilla must have removed that option in 9 or 10 because I don't have it in 10 ESR.

HPC99
@comcast.net

HPC99

Anon

said by Mele20:

Then Mozilla must have removed that option in 9 or 10 because I don't have it in 10 ESR.

I have ESR version 10.0.5 and the "Don't load tabs until selected" option is a right where sivran said - under the General tab in Options - listed in the Startup section as a check box option (same place as my Fx 13.0.1 non-ESR version lists it).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by HPC99 :

said by Mele20:

I have ESR version 10.0.5 and the "Don't load tabs until selected" option is a right where sivran said - under the General tab in Options - listed in the Startup section as a check box option (same place as my Fx 13.0.1 non-ESR version lists it).

I had to look TWO more times just now after reading your post to see it. It is GRAYED OUT and in RED font on a red background so it is difficult to see but I finally saw it.

I am not sure why it is grayed out but likely has to do with either how I have Session Manager set up or with my TBE 3 extensions that control tab behavior in Fx along with Session Manager.

All "browser.session" entries in about:config are at default values (so I didn't change something there and then forgot it) so that possibility is not why the option is grayed out.