cowboyro to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig

Re: [Rant] United Healthcare

said by The Pig:

Cigna is the best!
I have it with NO deductibles!
I only pay $25 for doctor visits!

The company doesn't matter, the plan does.
I have United, I pay 0. That is 0 for doctor visits, 0 for drugs... and my premium share is 0.
Actually the plan itself has a huge deductible (some 6000/family) which is covered by an HSA funded by the employer. But at the end of the day I still don't pay a single penny out of my pocket.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

Speaking of that (cash), ask your pharmacy how much the non-insurance rate is for it. It MIGHT be cheaper !!!

+1
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

It's about $50 more expensive without insurance. The brand name drug is several hundred more expensive.

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

DanHo to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

The company doesn't matter, the plan does.

It most certainly does. Large employers have a greater ability to customize their plans than smaller companies. I guarantee that if the OP works for a larger company they selected the coverage limits/benefits all the way down to Rx (I work in the industry).

tower29
Premium Member
join:2002-02-12
Loveland, CO

tower29 to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
I would be grateful that you company still provides health insurance. Our company dropped it a few years ago. Bummer for sure.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall to DanHo

MVM

to DanHo
said by DanHo:

It most certainly does. Large employers have a greater ability to customize their plans than smaller companies. I guarantee that if the OP works for a larger company they selected the coverage limits/benefits all the way down to Rx (I work in the industry).

And to expand that further, the employer may be the insurance provider as well (or at least that's how I understood it with my previous employer). Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, UHC, etc was simply the "administrator".

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

DanHo

Premium Member

Yes, it's called being "self-insured". Lots of large companies do this. The employer is on the hook for the risk, to a certain extent (re-insurance), but are able to use the rates for services that are negotiated by the insurance/administrating company. Usually the Aetnas/Cignas, etc charge a fee for administration, usually 2-5%.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

Cigna is the best!
I have it with NO deductibles!
I only pay $25 for doctor visits!

Tri-care is better. $0 for everything.