spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

darknecros

join:2008-03-20

[NV] Internet connection loss during early afternoons

I am experiencing loss of Internet connection usually during early afternoons when it is about the hottest part of the day (having to use my iPhone to post this.)

My cable modem just keeps trying to get a signal but doesn't keep a signal. I checked the modem's signal status page and am noticing its having trouble establishing an upstream connection (keeps "ranging" and ranging status either shows continue or aborted.).
My connection seems fine during the nighttime hours though.

Any known issues that can be causing this?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

what is your modem showing for your upstream signal level?

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to darknecros

If you are already close to the limit then when it gets warm it will push you over. So if you can pull a splitter off the line and see if that helps.

darknecros

reply to darknecros

Here is my upstream levels as of this time (9:27pm PDT and net is working at the moment)

Channel 2
Frequency 34100000hz
Ranging service ID 5982
Symbol rate 2.560 Msym/sec
Power level 50 dBmV

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by darknecros:

Here is my upstream levels as of this time (9:27pm PDT and net is working at the moment)

Channel 2
Frequency 34100000hz
Ranging service ID 5982
Symbol rate 2.560 Msym/sec
Power level 50 dBmV

That's pushing the limits, its probably 52-53db at the hottest point of the day. You really like the power level around the 45db range. As SHoTTa35 said, if there is splitters that can be removed, that can help drop the upstream power level a bit. Also once the cable reaches your house, is it connected to a two way splitter? with one line running to cable modem, and second line to another splitter if you have multiple tv's to connect? If not, that's what you really want to keep the cable modems signal levels as best as possible.

darknecros

reply to darknecros

I am currently using a single two way splitter from the line coming in (split so 1 can go to the cable box and the second goes to modem).
Note that there is a second line that comes in to the back bedroom (using that line because the normal line that comes into the main room had gotten too unreliable last year which means it is possible that there is another splitter somewhere. The location of that splitter would have to be either underground or underneath the place somewhere as I can't even see the cable run in from the side which would make that splitter (if there is another one) really hard for me to get to.

As for my downstream power levels, sometimes they tend to hover around 7-9 dBmV.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10

Can you PM me your cable MAC address and I'll take a quick look to see if there's anything else amiss.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to darknecros

K, got your MAC, thanks, I'm bumping this one up internally - your signal levels are OK for a while and then jumping way past the "this shouldn't even be working" mark. I'll let you know what I hear (although you should be getting called as well).