fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Comcast email completely stopped working on both Macs

The reason I am posting this hear is because I called Comcast and they were able to do nothing about it and told me it is a problem on Apple's end.

I have the exact same email account on both of my Macs and all of a sudden, for no reason, I started to get this error on both of them:

I tried to change the SSL port number 995 to 110 and disabled SSL, but still was not able to receive any mail. This has been happening with both Macs for over a week now. Also here are screenshots of how everything else is set up:

That's exactly how it is set up on both Macs and has been like that for as long as I can remember. I will very much appreciate anything you can suggest to me.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

open terminal.app and type

telnet mail.comcast.net 995

you should get a response that says
Connected to mail.comcast.net
Escape character is '^]'.

then you can press ctrl+] to get back to the telnet> prompt, and then type quit to quit telnet.

Let me know what telnet responds with when you try to connect.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
Got that a lot, I switched to gmail, I don't get it any more
Wife gets it a lot, I told her to switch to gmail, she didn't
Wife still gets it a lot
I'd switch to gmail...it takes a week to switch and get everyone to change
Try it, you'll like it

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
I also use Gmail and have no problem. I know it's a bitch to change your email, just a suggestion.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

open terminal.app and type

telnet mail.comcast.net 995

you should get a response that says
Connected to mail.comcast.net

then you can press ctrl+] to get back to the telnet> prompt, and then type quit to quit telnet.

Let me know what telnet responds with when you try to connect.

I get the exact same thing:
Connected to mail.comcast.net.

Also, just so everyone knows, I am able to access Comcast email through their website. It's Mac mail that's giving me this problem.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

... I know it's a bitch to change your email, just a suggestion.

it's really isn't that bad. With an auto reply set up alerting folks of the change and one blast message (bcc, of course), 75% of the people will make the correction. Over the next week or two anyone that still uses the old address should be contacted. Autosenders can be edited one at a time, takes a few seconds here or there. After a month 98% of people change. I visit my old addresses once a week, but hardly ever see any messages worth caring about.

Bryon
This space for rent
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Speedway, IN

Bryon to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
I've had no problem sending or receiving comcast email all evening using Mail.app with Lion.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
Given that your computer can connect directly to the server, you have some sort of problem with Mail.app. Comcast is right about it not being on their end.

Comcast should support IMAP. What if you create a duplicate account using IMAP. Does that work?

Bryon
This space for rent
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Speedway, IN

Bryon

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's my POP config for comcast...

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

Given that your computer can connect directly to the server, you have some sort of problem with Mail.app. Comcast is right about it not being on their end.

Comcast should support IMAP. What if you create a duplicate account using IMAP. Does that work?

I did decide to call Comcast again to see what a different customer service rep would say and they did in fact say that people have been having problems with them and Mac mail.

No luck using it with IMAP either. I got the same error, but with port 143 this time.

Also, using gmail with mail.app works just fine and with the exact same port number of 995. It sounds like switching over to gmail might be a good idea.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
it's possible mail is able to make a connection, but sends a request in an unusual order or something that then confuses the server and makes it stop responding, eventually timing out the connection.

it's not worth your time to really troubleshoot it any further, because to really figure out the problem, you're going to need something like little snitch and a whole lot of time to do forensic packet analysis to see when the connection stops.

teach
Premium Member
join:2000-09-21
North Las Vegas, NV

teach to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
I was having issues and had to change "use default ports" to "use custom port 465" and all went well. I read in the comcast forums that something was changed a few months ago.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by teach:

I was having issues and had to change "use default ports" to "use custom port 465" and all went well. I read in the comcast forums that something was changed a few months ago.

I came back from Italy in September and none of my comcast addresses worked. I'll give that "custom port 465" a try later this afternoon.

myosh
join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

myosh to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
Not sure what's going on but I'm now seeing the problem on my Mac. Things were fine yesterday but today, I cannot access my Comcast e-mail anymore.

I'm on a MacPro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Apple Mail version 4.5. Fortunately, I don't use Comcast e-mail for anything except for Comcast-related messages.

I tried changing the port to 465 but that didn't resolve the problem.

teach
Premium Member
join:2000-09-21
North Las Vegas, NV

teach

Premium Member

also had to do this bit in the advanced tab.