Search similar:

uniqs

markm091
@verizon.net

markm091

Anon

Baby Channel and DirecTV

Hi all:

Quick question regarding the above. My in-laws have a standard, non-HD DirecTV installation and my wife is looking into the possibility of adding the Baby Channel to entertain our son on the days he'd be over there. She found the channel itself is free, but when she contacted DirecTV a representative told her they would have to pay an upgrade fee of $100+. Since the channel itself is SD, we're assuming this is just an SOP cash grab.

Can anyone confirm one way or another. For now I'm just going to have her call again to see if she gets a more reasonable/cooperative representative.

Thanks
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Is this the channel you are referring to?
From DirecTV website:

"BabyFirstTV

BabyFirstTV is America's first and only channel dedicated to babies and toddler. Supported by leading child development experts.

This channel requires HD equipment and Advanced Receiver-HD. Please call 1-800-531-5000 for more information."

I see an HD receiver requirement.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to markm091

to markm091
It has something to do with the way it's broadcast. I think it needs an mpeg4 based receiver for the signal. There are a handful like this. Unless they want to move up the the HD age, which everything is becoming, I'd say forget it. If they have been a customer for awhile (year or 2), they should qualify for a free HD upgrade. Usually a dish and 1 HD receiver.

markm091
@verizon.net

markm091

Anon

Ah, thanks guys. They've had the service for a while, so I'll see if they can get the free upgrade. They actually have a couple HD sets (but could care less/are completely ignorant to SD vs. HD), so it could make those Saturday afternoons a little more bearable.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to markm091

to markm091
BabyFirstTV along with NASA TV are both broadcasted on Ka band in MPEG4 format which requires the wider slimline dish to get the Ka band and a HD receiver to tune and decode the MPEG4.