spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rsdmems

join:2012-06-24
New York, NY

[TWC] Does anyone else have an Arris DG860a modem?

I'm moving to a different building in Manhattan and have to give up my beloved FIOS and switch back to awful Time Warner because that's all that's in my new building. I had the service installed today and the wireless router/modem they gave me is the DG860a, and although I'm paying for the 5/30 service, when I tested it this afternoon (I haven't moved in yet) the download speeds were AWFUL-- in the range of around 2mb. (The uploads were as advertised, at just under 5mb.) I did a search of this forum and couldn't find a single reference to this model modem, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Thanks.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

Wow that is pretty bad, i'm sorry to hear that. I have the 30/5 service and it works fantastic for me.

I don't have this modem, I have the Motorola SB6141 now and it works very well.

Have you tried just restarting the modem to see if it works any better?

Also could you post the status for your connection from the modem?
Downstream & upstream power level, SNR for each channel.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
reply to rsdmems

looks like a new modem I looked the model up it doeen't seem too much different from the tg852's we give out minis the phone function. My guess it has a few bugs that need to be worked out assuming all the signal levels check out.

rsdmems

New York, NY
reply to nephipower

Thanks. As we haven't moved in yet, I'll try this the next time I'm over there, later this week.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

said by rsdmems:

Thanks. As we haven't moved in yet, I'll try this the next time I'm over there, later this week.

Also make sure to post your stats for your connection.

rsdmems

New York, NY

Okay, sorry for the long delay but we finally moved in. The best speed I've been able to obtain is 17,000 to 19,000 down (vs. 30,000 promised), while the uploads are consistently as promised in the high 4000s. Here's a link to my most recent decent test;

However, I'd say that 90% of the time the test just freezes in the middle of a download, so most of them come back with super-slow indicated download speeds (with consistently good upload speeds). I don't know if that accurately reflects my "real world" performance or if it's a quirk of the test, as I haven't noticed such "freezes" in my time so far on line (streaming a lot of financial data in concurrently running programs, although not really streaming much video yet).

This week TWC is supposed to come back and swap out the router for the same brand as the one I have now, but with the telephone modem built in-- according to the installation tech, it's called the "wideband with phone" model.

rsdmems

New York, NY

Well, this is bizarre. The WiFi on this modem literally died on me this afternoon. It's not viewable among the networks within range and the WiFi light on the modem is off. So I jacked myself into the #1 Ethernet port and-- hardwired in-- am getting blazing speeds. Thus, I think maybe the WiFi part of the modem is what was giving me the lousy speeds (before it died completely):

My advice: avoid this modem!

Jgod149948

join:2011-07-31
Lewiston, ME
reply to rsdmems

I just got the DG860a issued 2 days ago with 50/5 service. Using several different speedtest sites results are consistent from 52.33-47.35/ 5.21-4.90. Depending on time of day, and varying from site to site . Mine hit great right out of the box. I have win 7, and Of course I have tweaked around with the netsh commands now. On experimental, the rwin size I have found from dsl reports tweak page is 475436, and when I get 52.33/5.21 Under normal, it has been 131072, and 50.5/5.04. maybe your autotune level is in "disable" mode limiting rwin to 65535

Here is a copy of my settings.

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : automatic
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : experimental
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

rsdmems

New York, NY

TWC came yesterday and replaced the modem with a "wideband with phone" (i.e., one box instead of two) model made by Ubee. The guys were literally here for almost three hours while the techs back at the company were figuring out the proper codes to get it up and running, as it initially wasn't working properly, nor was an alternative Arris "wideband with phone" model that they'd brought along. The happy end of the story, though, is that over WiFi I'm now consistently getting at least 30mb down and just under 5mb up. So, I'm not sure if the problem was a bad initial modem or some sort of coding error with TWC's computer system.

lpelvis

@rr.com
reply to rsdmems

my wifi just died too, light is out. sux i was playing xbox and it just dropped.

Hehgyrll

@rr.com
reply to rsdmems

I have this modem now for two days and it has odd speed tests. But in my bedroom it is slow like 0.8mps download, but upload is over 4, and it is based on 30/5. Right now about 15 feet away i am getting 30/5, so ,my question..should I get a wireless repeater? Or ask TWC to come back and experiment some more. Also the settings below are they on your modem controls?

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
join:2000-12-25
Charlotte, NC
reply to rsdmems

I got t his modem on friday to replace on an old SurfBoard that finally died. Speed tests have been consistant, I got the 30/5 pkg and I usually spot on.
--
Driving with 2 feet since 1999

rsdmems

New York, NY
reply to rsdmems

The Ubee has been pretty consistently 30 down and 5 up, but in the week or so that I've had it I did need to reboot it once because it had started slowing way down. Then several days ago I took the advice here and had a TWC tech put it in bridge mode, and I've now been using a new Netgear R6300 for wireless so I can use my Slingbox.

Ironically, after all this I found out that Time Warner offers a "Home Premiere" service for a few extra bucks a month which includes a software-programmable router that would have allowed me to port my Slingbox without having to use bridge mode + a separate router. So, we signed up for that service (mainly because for another $15/month they give us a bunch more movie channels plus allegedly better customer service), and now they're going to come by this week and remove the Ubee and replace it with yet another modem. (I don't yet know what the new modem will be.)

embj
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Durham, NC
reply to rsdmems

I've had this modem for going on a month and have the 30/5 package. I've been getting consistent speeds from it; however, I don't use the wireless portion of it, as I already have a router and don't want TWC having control over what I can and can't do with it.

I went in and bridged it and turned off the wireless before the admin password had a chance to get changed by TWC.

Just as an FYI--if anyone wants to bridge this modem or turn off the wireless, all you have to do is hold the reset button on the back for 15+ seconds, and it'll reset the admin password to the default of 'password'. Then, you can hurry up, login, and make your changes before the system has a chance to get the updated admin password from TW. You can also do port forwards, change your local subnet address, etc...any changes you can make on a standard router.

rsdmems

New York, NY
reply to rsdmems

Okay, (probably) the last follow-up:

The "Home Premiere" tech came and said I should just keep the Ubee "wideband with phone" modem as it's working well in bridge mode. Then he called into the home office and they put in some codes to up my service to 50 down (from 30), as apparently that's part of this package. Here's a test I just ran over wi-fi:

So it does appear as if this is finally sorted out (at least for now, as you never know with TWC, lol). Thanks for all of the comments & advice.

flim

join:2012-07-30
Brooklyn, NY
reply to embj

said by embj:

I went in and bridged it and turned off the wireless before the admin password had a chance to get changed by TWC.

Has yours been running smoothly in bridged since you set it?

I've had this modem about 2 weeks now. Whenever it's set to bridged mode, it seems to forget how to talk to any other devices after a random period of time.

It worked for the first 10 days. I was able to access the modem config page through the router, was consistently getting provisioned speeds, everything was running fine. Then all connectivity to my router suddenly disappeared and I couldn't even access the modem's config page with a direct connection to my PC, let alone get online. It took a hard reset to get any kind of response, even though all its lights were busy a-blinkin' as if it were doing something useful.

That was midday Friday. I woke this morning (Monday) to find that the same thing has happened again overnight. I can see this is going to drive me crazy.

I'm using it with a Netgear WNR3500L router, which was perfectly happy with my previous RCA TWC modem for the last 18 months. I've changed the modem password, set it to bridged, disabled wireless, and disabled all the firewall checkboxes (in order to get VPN working). After a hard reset and resetting all the modem configuration options, both router and modem are perfectly happy at first... until they're not. The router starts reporting 0.0.0.0 as the external IP, gateway, etc. -- even though the modem's apparently connecting to TWC (according to its status lights, anyway).

I guess at some point the modem just starts refusing to share the DHCP information. Sadly I'm far from being a network genius, so I've hit the limits of my tinkering. I'm not sure whether to try getting a new modem -- same model or otherwise -- from TWC or if there's something else I can try. But the inability to get a reliable connection kinda defeats the point of having upgraded my service, which is the only reason I had to get this modem in the first place! (I guess I could just drop the router and use the modem directly but... eh.)

embj
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Durham, NC

Well, truth be told, I've only had it bridged since Saturday. I just moved into this place and got TW about a month ago. Just finally getting around to bridging it, but it has been working fine since I did it.

Did you disable DHCP on the modem when you bridged it? In theory, it should just pass through the traffic (not firewall it) and disable DHCP when you bridge it, but who knows?

As a precaution, I disabled the firewall and DHCP when I bridged it. If you didn't disable DHCP, and it's still going (it SHOULDN'T be), your router may be getting confused by your modem trying to hand out local addresses and the external one from TW.

I feel you on the modem/router thing! I had a Moto SB6120 that they refused to activate because it's "not supported" for the Extreme tier. I understand it only supports 4 channels for channel bonding, but TW is only using 4 channels right now! I digress...

But, I'd give that a try and see if that helps.

flim

join:2012-07-30
Brooklyn, NY

I had manually disabled LAN DHCP, yep. I didn't trust the "in theory" part either, so I wanted to be sure!

However, I'm completely baffled now. Got home this evening (having not tried to fix it this morning beyond a quick modem reboot, router reboot, and direct PC-to-modem connection) and the issue was still there. Rebooted the router again, no change.

So I unplugged the router, plugged the PC directly into the modem -- same as before, but intentionally trying a different ethernet port this time -- and lo and behold, full connectivity. Then I disconnected the PC, reconnected the router (to its original port on the modem)... and the modem's all smiles and sunshine again as if nothing was ever wrong. Grrr! I'm not sure if temporarily using a different port triggered it into action, but I don't have any other explanation because I didn't try anything different from this morning or Friday!

I notice I can reach the modem configuration page but it now complains of an invalid password when I try to log in. I assume it fetched a new pw from TWC -- this "password of the day" thing I've heard about -- but I'm not sure when over the weekend that happened, so whether it has anything to do with the connectivity problem.

Either way, thanks for the reply. I'll post back if I figure anything out but I can see I'm going to be keeping careful tabs on this modem for a while...!