Click for full size
Security Apps and Gaming DDNS
Click for full size
Security Apps and Gaming Single Port Forwarding
Click for full size
Security Apps and Gaming Port Range Forwarding
Click for full size
Security Apps and Gaming Port Range Triggering
For those who have been awaiting the Cisco Connect Cloud. The website and features are now live. »www.ciscoconnectcloud.com

From my own personal experience you will need to upgrade the compatible router firmware in order for the website to work otherwise the website will prompt you to register the router which cannot be done otherwise (that's an hour I won't get back) As of this posting the new router firmware is not on the Cisco Support website but upon a check of the router's internal "check for update" it was discovered. Be forewarned that it will take a little getting used to the new layout and at least for me, is a bit sluggish.
circade
join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

circade

People at Cisco's forum are complaining about the Connect Cloud feature. You now have go through Cisco's server in order to access your own router. The router redirects 192.168.1.1 to ciscoconnectcloud .com.

If this is the norm, I don't like the direction of Linksys routers. They still haven't fixed the wps problem on older routers like the e3000.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I really don't see what the big deal is. Under administratoin there is an option to disable remote access so you can't connect to the router over the internet. Also when I type in my router's ip address , ie 172.16.113.1 it is still in the address bar, not ciscoconnectcloud.com. When a user manually go to ciscoconnectcloud.com all they are seeing is the same interface that is found when they go to the routers ip address internally on the network. It's a basic fact that people don't like change, but they ultimately learn to cope with it and adapt, or at least get over it.

DebiLee
@comcast.net

DebiLee to circade

Anon

to circade
I'd just get with the times and ditch the e3000 already geeze If you don't like it there are plenty of other companies out there.
circade
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

circade

I have the e4200 v1...and the e3000 is only two years old, it is reasonable to expect Cisco to add major security fixes to it.
pchelp
join:2010-03-21
Manson, WA

1 recommendation

pchelp to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I really don't see what the big deal is.

The "big deal" is, they requite to identify the router's owner in detail, including a valid email address; and one must even enter the router's password!

It is a gigantic unsolicited intrusion. It's one of the most onerous acts of a hardware maker that I have ever seen or experienced. Utterly, utterly unacceptable.

The network on which I encountered this unwanted update was a highly sensitive business office network. We would never even consider, not even briefly, participating in Cisco's intrusion. The router has been replaced and never, not ever, under any circumstances will I recommend or use another Cisco product except those older models that are at no risk of being subjected to this kind of takeover.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

2 recommendations

Mike Wolf

(sighs) well if you don't like it your welcome to use another brand. I created this thread to help the EA router owners with the transition not discuss and justify the morality and legality of the new features.
Anyway, thank you for proving my point about people not liking change. You cannot seriously be expecting this company to not want to be up to date on technology. Between new AC equipped routers and cloud based routers it would be a mistake for them to not explore it.

As to this highly sensitive network that you said you came across this "intrusion" with, why would anyone in their right mind have the auto update function turned on in that type of enviornment? That's classic network administration and management 101 to keep that turned off and monitor for updates on an as-needed basis.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

sabretooth

You give Cisco full permission to data mine your history and will track everything.

Read the terms of service you agreed to.

»www.cisco.com/web/siteas ··· upp.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I see no problem with that though. I mean you got nothing to hide right? ....right?

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to circade

Premium Member

to circade
said by circade:

I have the e4200 v1...and the e3000 is only two years old, it is reasonable to expect Cisco to add major security fixes to it.

And I'm still waiting for the WPS fix on my WRT610N. It's not that old and I think they should release a fix for it.
Oregonian

1 recommendation

Oregonian to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Thanks for this -- got any more screen shots?

I have been considering upgrading to an E4200 or EA4500 hoping to get some added range. For now, I am still using a WRT610N but features like these may entice me to upgrade. I like the ability to manage the router remotely -- I travel some and my wife is not too technically literate so would be nice to be able to turn the Guest Account on and off remotely.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I can say with certainty that I've screenshot pretty much every single page and every link and popup used, painstakingly so. If there is anything specific you'd like to see or questions let me know. I've accessed the remote features of the router at various places with various devices to do various things and it really is as simple as advertised. I must say this is the best networking device purchase I've ever made hands down.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Was just kidding about the extra screen shots - I think you covered it very well.

Mainly what I am looking for are reports on range of 5 GHz N connections. I have a long house and the logistics of my network requires that the router be placed at one end of it. I sometimes have difficulty connecting to it at the other end.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

2 recommendations

PeteC2 to pchelp

MVM

to pchelp
said by pchelp:

The network on which I encountered this unwanted update was a highly sensitive business office network. We would never even consider, not even briefly, participating in Cisco's intrusion. The router has been replaced and never, not ever, under any circumstances will I recommend or use another Cisco product except those older models that are at no risk of being subjected to this kind of takeover.

Your response is puzzling. First, as Mike Wolf noted, if you are responsible for a business network why would you ever have left an auto-update firmware feature on? That sounds more like your failure to pay due diligence than Cisco's issue...I would never subject my office's network to any firmware upgrade prior to testing it out, and never would set up any device in my office network to "auto-update" any kind of operating software, drivers or other settings.

Second, the EA Linksys router series are consumer routers, designed for ease of use, simple set up and maintenance, and they perform well as such. If one wants a router to perform as an enterprise-level router, then that is what one should purchase.

To me, the jury is still out...my EA 4500 is upgraded to the new cloud settings, and I see some advantages, and a couple of potential disadvantages. However, I always have the option of rolling back the firmware should I decide the cons outweigh the pros.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to Oregonian

to Oregonian
The WRT series is too old and will never be updated for the WPS issue.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

You're probably right. Guess it's time for an upgrade!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to Oregonian

to Oregonian
ah. I see. 5Ghz range isn't always the best in general because of the frequency itself being higher in range. The higher the range the shorter the distance. Honestly each case is different and you very well may get better range in your location then someone else will in their own. The only way to know if it works is to physically test it out in your home. I know that when I'm near the router on 5Ghz I get solid 450Mbps performance without any trouble, as I get further away is when I see the connection dropping and slowing down noticeably, but this is found with any 5Ghz enabled device and isn't really any fault of the EA4500. I know that the new EA6500 which uses the new AC wireless standard is said to give 5Ghz speeds of 1300Mbps. »homestore.cisco.com/view ··· 48919965 and should be available in August.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
I have the E4200v2, and I use it at home and have the auto update on for firmware. I just checked, and am still able to access the router via it's IP address.

I would like to leave well enough alone, for my router works fine. Am I going to be updated to Cisco Connect Cloud automatically at some point? I think I would rather not, however I will have to deal with it if it does.

What are the advantages of Cisco Cloud Connect?

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by lordpuffer:

There are none. Really. There is really ZERO need for you or anyone else to use Cloud Connect.

The reality is this allows Cisco to collect, harvest, aggregate and sell your browsing history. That's what this is all about.

How many times does your mother or sister really make changes to their router once its up and running and fully configured? Once a year and more likely never.

The average family will NEVER change anything on their router once its configured.

This again is nothing more than Cisco trying to cash in on its massive footprint to aggregate browsing data and sell it to marketers.

Read the TOS and decide for yourself. But its pretty obvious to me.
circade
Minneapolis, MN

circade to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
With all the attention that Cisco has been getting, they finally put back a link to the old firmware, now called classic, on their support page.

It doesn't seem likely that Cisco will ever release new firmware that will give users the option to decline the cloud and maintain local direct access to our own routers. Cisco Connect Cloud is an added cost--they need to make up for it by collecting and selling user data.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Guess this leave the wrt160n series out then too. meh, figures.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Well if the router is set to automatically check for updates you're going to get the connect cloud interface. If it isn't then you won't but you also won't receive any fixes and improvements and because the v2 and all routers after that in the EA line are designed specifically to not be third party firmware compatible (no tomato or dd wrt and stuff) it would be shooting yourself in the foot not to update. »www.smallcloudbuilder.co ··· oes-live

I'm very cautious when it comes to my router as access to the internet is the lifeblood of my existence but I haven't had any problems performance wise with the router after the update. I still get the same speeds as I did before both wired and wireless, I still have no signal dropouts, and I'm able to access my network remotely over the internet with the exact same interface as I do when I'm on a locally connected computer. I understand that the connect cloud interface and premise is not for everyone and I do wish that there was alternatives for those people as I hate to see anyone dissatisfied with their router.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Mike.

Harry C
@comcast.net

Harry C to circade

Anon

to circade
And just how does one install the older firmware anyway?
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I have the E4200v2, and I use it at home and have the auto update on for firmware. I just checked, and am still able to access the router via it's IP address.

I would like to leave well enough alone, for my router works fine. Am I going to be updated to Cisco Connect Cloud automatically at some point? I think I would rather not, however I will have to deal with it if it does.

Turn off auto updates in the router now. Otherwise you will be updated and data harvesting will occur.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks.....But I'm going to let it update to the 'Cloud.' As was stated above, if you do not allow Cisco Cloud Connect, you won't be able to update your firmware again (if needed).
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
When you update to the 'Cloud,' does it save all of your current settings?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yes it does.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Harry C

to Harry C
Go into connectivity, then click the manual firmware update and choose the old firmware from the website. The router will install the old firmware and reset. BE SURE TO ALLOW THE ROUTER TO COMPLETE WHAT IT'S DOING BY MONITORING THE STATUS LIGHT! DO NOT UNPLUG THE POWER FROM THE ROUTER! as this will screw up and likely brick the router. I would be safe and give the entire process 10 minutes. The current page that would be displayed won't update after the new (classic) firmware is installed.