Re: idea !

Do you have like a Trillion dollars?
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

1 recommendation

yabos

Sure, stop blowing it on meddling in foreign countries. You could have had your national broadband network already.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Actually the government has put in a lot of money to build the internet backbone. It's just that profits must always be privatized, just like with the military industry.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
It would actually only cost about $150 billion dollars to run fiber along every single roadway in the united states and connect every single home. We can afford $700 billion to bail out banks where most of the money was squandered. $150 billion in actual investment in the nation's infrastructure, never mind all the jobs it would make available for the couple years the build out would take.
Penny3000
join:2003-11-24
Oak Ridge, TN

Penny3000

$150 billion is not so bad, This is my vision:

Doing some rough calculations:
2010 Total homes in America: 131,704,730
Typical price everyone should pay: $35 (my opinion)
Total monthly if everyone participates: 4,609,665,550
And lets say that we only get roughly 25% participation.
$1.1 billion a month is a lot of money.

With 25% participation, you could break even in 150 months or less or roughly 12 years. I know my math is off but these are rough estimates.
With this type of build-out. Everyone would have gigabit connections symmetrical and you can take your modem anywhere in the US. Your modem is yours to connect anywhere. And last but not least, no caps or limits. Exploit it to the fullest.
The biggest inhibitor to my vision is that the big incumbents would lobby this out of the water.
« Lets not forget...CON gress »
This is a sub-selection from idea !