dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

said by Mele20:

Why would someone want to run Windows 8 without a touch screen? What would be the point in Metro?

I am more productive in it than previous Windows. I like the live tiles on the start screen - kept me in the loop better. And when I (finally) get a tablet - it'll work exactly the same way as Windows 8 but with a touch screen. I never used IE10 in Metro for any other reason beside checking it out on my desktop - just a regular IE10 browser. Sometimes I'd go into the stock or weather metro apps to check out the information I want - very useful informations right up front. This is all with using a mouse - no touchscreen on my home PC - I don't think I'd want a touchscreen for a while because of cost and I'm all about the screen quality (resolutions, DPI, colors, etc) more than touching the screen. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few years but right now, I don't want (or need) a touchscreen on my Windows 8 desktop.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

said by Mele20:

Why would someone want to run Windows 8 without a touch screen? What would be the point in Metro?

I am more productive in it than previous Windows. I like the live tiles on the start screen - kept me in the loop better. And when I (finally) get a tablet - it'll work exactly the same way as Windows 8 but with a touch screen. I never used IE10 in Metro for any other reason beside checking it out on my desktop - just a regular IE10 browser. Sometimes I'd go into the stock or weather metro apps to check out the information I want - very useful informations right up front. This is all with using a mouse - no touchscreen on my home PC - I don't think I'd want a touchscreen for a while because of cost and I'm all about the screen quality (resolutions, DPI, colors, etc) more than touching the screen. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few years but right now, I don't want (or need) a touchscreen on my Windows 8 desktop.

Thanks for the explanation. I can see better now why folks who actually use the Desktop might like Windows 8. I NEVER use my Desktop except to see it when I minimize all open programs to the taskbar when leaving the computer for several hours or overnight (or on boot/reboot which I avoid as much as possible). I only see it then for a few seconds before my screensaver comes on. I have zero interest in looking at stuff on my desktop. I am a Windows Explorer person and I will be using Win 7 in classic view ....nothing of it will be Win 7 as I will replace the crappy start menu and terrible search and no list of programs, etc. with third party applications to make it like all earlier versions of Windows. I know Explorer has been changed for the worse in Win 7 but there are third party fixes for most of those changes so I will be using Explorer when I need a program, or whatever, not the Desktop. On Vista, the first thing I did was get rid of all the gunk that Microsoft put on the desktop. So, "live" tiles or non-live ones is not something that interests me.

I don't feel that I must constantly choose the latest fad but that seems to be the opinion of many in this thread and they feel very threatened when someone points out that makes little sense. There is no reason to change something unless the way it is currently done is horrible for that person. Change for change's sake only is the hallmark of a very insecure person letting a company lead them around by the nose. But you have stated that you are more productive in Win 8 than earlier versions of Windows. That is a fine reason to embrace Windows 8. I would not be more productive but that does not mean that I fear change or that I am stupid, etc. My point has always been that Microsoft should allow choice and they have in the past (although grudgingly beginning with Vista), but with Windows 8 they have decided to kill choice as much as they can. They need to hear the protests loud and clear.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

and they feel very threatened when someone points out that makes little sense.

And some people state their opinions as universal truth.

There is no reason to change something unless the way it is currently done is horrible for that person.

Something has to be "horrible" before one should change?? Something can't be okay, or even great and still not desire change for something even "better"?

Change for change's sake only is the hallmark of a very insecure person letting a company lead them around by the nose.

Hah! That's funny! Yes, people who counter your opinions are being led around by the nose by Microsoft, that would explain it all