« Lets not forget...CON gress »
This is a sub-selection from idea !

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

Re: idea !

Yes, if you want to sell subscription TV, you should build your own network. This isnt rocket science.

If you cant deliver it, youre not selling it.

Once again, if the ISP's cant protect their TV revenues with caps, they will simply increase internet prices across the board. Its one or the other. I dont think its fair that I must subsidize the netflix users. Sorry !

How the hell do people expect these companies to expand and increase capacity on no revenue/profit.

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

1 recommendation

Dezbend

MVM

ISPs built their customer base on the wonders of the internet. I sold residential internet 12 years ago, and we talked about the ability to watch and download movies, as well as music, games, etc. Now, when that company complains that the internet is too big for them to handle, I have no pity.

Netflix is the killer app that they cried for 10 years ago. It worked they got tons of customers, and now want to kill off the killer app.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

2 recommendations

Skippy25 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
And if Microsoft wants to sell XBox Live, they should build their own network to your house.

And when Vonage wants to sell IP Phone service they should build their own network to your house.

And when Sony wants to give away their online gaming service they should build their own network to your house.

And when OnLive wants you to get their service they should build their own network to your house.

And when.....

I could go on forever, but instead I will simply say Shut up and get a clue about the internet!

ISP's are dumbpipes trying to be relevant. You need nothing more than an IP address from them and you can get EVERY service you want on the internet EXCEPT those things specifically blocked so you can't.

EDIT: Let me correct my above last statement. ISP's are dumbpipes AND TV providers trying to stay relevant and protect their failing business model.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

How the hell do people expect these companies to expand and increase capacity on no revenue/profit.

where are you seeing that comcast and the like aren't turning profits? quick google checking shows from strong to down but still smiling....
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by boogi man:

said by ITALIAN926:

where are you seeing that comcast and the like aren't turning profits? quick google checking shows from strong to down but still smiling....

These companies are making a bundle on data services with how little it costs them to deliver it.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Yes, if you want to sell subscription TV, you should build your own network. This isnt rocket science.

Once again, if the ISP's cant protect their TV revenues with caps, they will simply increase internet prices across the board. Its one or the other. I dont think its fair that I must subsidize the netflix users. Sorry !

..and you are absolutely clueless. Hell, you're dumber than that blonde on Clueless when it comes to technology.

They pay their OC12 (or bigger), we pay for our internet connection. The point is we are paying for our connections, nothing else. It shouldn't matter what we do with it.

TV is dead. Hell, all we use our 42" Plasma for is Xbox 360, the HTPC, and Netflix.. and the occasional DVD or Bluray. We don't have cable because there's too much crap on it. If I wanted to watch reality TV, I'd step outside.

You didn't "pay" to build the network. They did, so don't even say "I dont think its fair that I must subsidize the netflix users" because it's a huge crock of bullsh*t. Case closed.

..and in any business.. adapt or die. They'll always be a newer ISP that would love to swallow your company alive if you don't adapt to changes. The only exceptions are huge companies that can (Frontier, CenturyLink, etc) due to no alternatives in the areas they cover.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

At what point does a site need to become its own ISP? Does BBR need to become an ISP to run BroadBandReports.com? After all, they can't deliver the web pages all by themselves. They need to rely on a bunch of other ISPs to shuffle the data bits around*. What about a blog that posts video entries? What about YouTube?

Do you honestly think that every website that starts up should lay down fiber worldwide and sign up subscribers to access their sites? If you did this then:

1) Starting a website would be hideously expensive. Forget being able to toss a site up for any niche interest you have. You would need to invest billions of dollars which wouldn't be possible just to launch CutePuppyVideos.com. This would mean that only the biggest companies could launch websites.

2) Connecting to a website would be complicated. Switching from viewing a Netflix video to reading CNN? You'd need to disconnect from the Netflix Network and then connect up to the CNN Network.

3) The Internet would be hideously expensive. Those billions of dollars to lay fiber down aren't cheap. You would need to charge subscribers monthly fees to pay for it and maintain it. Each site would need to charge about what ISPs currently charge. Even if they somehow got it down to $25 a month, how many sites would the average user sign up for? $25 a month for Netflix, plus $25 a month for BBR, plus $25 a month for Google, plus $25 a month for Twitter, etc. You'd soon be spending your entire income on a small section of websites.

To enforce this plan would be to kill the Internet (which, ironically, would kill the ISPs business... at least the ISP portion of it).

* BBR needs to rely on other ISPs to shuffle data bits, but they do that by paying an ISP for bandwidth just like Netflix pays Level3 for bandwidth. Nobody's getting a free ride here.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
Hey Jackass, takes a lot of nerve to call me DUMB. Let me give you a dose of common sense. As Netflix ( and future internet TV services ) erode the MSO's TV profits, they will simply increase prices across the board for their internet service, IF they cant cap usage.
quote:
TV is dead
And you call me dumb? There are over 100 MILLION pay-TV subscribers in this country. Thats 100,000,000 !! Get a clue !

I dont like Netflix, I think their HD quality sucks , and their selections suck as well. Another opinion. You dont like it? Tough.
Thank You.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

2 edits

SimbaSeven

said by ITALIAN926:

As Netflix ( and future internet TV services ) erode the MSO's TV profits, they will simply increase prices across the board for their internet service, IF they cant cap usage.

Here's a tip. If the MSO's were so concerned about their profits, they'd adapt to newer technologies. We're not seeing this.
said by ITALIAN926:

I dont like Netflix, I think their HD quality sucks , and their selections suck as well. Another opinion. You dont like it? Tough.
Thank You.

..and you think your over-compressed HD signal is better? The reason Netflix sucks is, oh wait, the speed of YOUR internet connection which is controlled by YOUR ISP.

TV is still dead. The model is outdated and newer delivery technologies exist. If they don't want to adapt, oh well. I'd prefer not paying 80% (or more) of my cable bill (if I had cable) to reality TV crap.

If I could pay per channel, I would.. but that's where IPTV would come in handy. Heck, since most channels are digital now they could go that route. But they don't want everyone to pay by the channel or only channels their customers want. They want to load them with a ton of garbage that they don't want and expect them to pay for it. I'd pay for an internet service that would stream the channels I enjoy and at a price point that would not make my wallet scream or require me to have CATV or Sat service.

This is why we have an Internet-only package from our cable company. We use the 30x5 connection to death and back and never had an issue with Netflix or any other service we use. We're even thinking of trying out Hulu Plus.
« Lets not forget...CON gress »
This is a sub-selection from idea !