O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to bruin23

Premium Member

to bruin23

Re: [NCAA-F] College football gets a Playoff

Its a great first step, but it eventually has to go to 16 teams...

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

It's actually a second step, the first coming years ago when conferences began having conference championship games. As I pointed out earlier in the other thread:
said by me :
It's not yet a final & fair solution, but that will now come within just a few short years when all of the D1 schools are part of 6 or 8 Super conferences. Almost all conferences currently have a real first round playoff, it's called the conference Championship game.

Theoretically, 8 D1 conferences (assuming they are about 16 teams each, 8 teams to a division, and a Conference title game [Round 1] between the two division champs) could tie into the 4 legacy BCS bowls for a 2nd round playoff. The 4 BCS bowl winners go into the above +1 playoff. [rounds 3 & 4]

This would be the completely equitable playoff system we all want.

This is a very good thing.
In this new system, there are no AQ's! It won't take a "committee" to match the team that won their division, and won their conference championship, and won their bowl against another conference champion, to seed that team in the +1 rounds.

At the end of the day, every D1 player, from every D1 school, will be able to walk into their schools Winter conditioning program knowing if they win out, they will play in the National title game.

It's a little goofy multi-part system, but it will be that 16-team playoff we want and satisfies all the hands in all of the money pots; Conferences/Bowls/BCS...and even adds a brand new money pot in the form of cities that bid for the Title game.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to aztecnology

Premium Member

to aztecnology
said by aztecnology:

Its a great first step, but it eventually has to go to 16 teams...

Eight would actually be the best. That's only one more game than the new system. There are eleven conferences in division one and a few of them are too small to ever field a championship football team. Take conference champions from the major conferences and a couple of at large teams to round out the field and an eight team system would be awesome.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

There are eleven conferences in division one and a few of them are too small to ever field a championship football team.

You mean a small conference like the Western Athletic Conference (WAC)?

I'm sure you are too young to remember that a National Championship team came out of the WAC in 1984. That would be BYU. Although they are the 1984 National D1 Football champions, and always will be, in reality they probably weren't the best team in 1984. That was probably the University of Washington.

It was this fiasco that begat the evil spawn now known as the BCS. The BCS shared the same exclusionary thinking; exclude the so-called "small conferences". This thinking is why the majority of fans hate the BCS with a passion. See when you exclude any team, or conference, the resultant championship system becomes a sham. That's what the BCS is considered by most fans, a sham. This is why it is now being changed.

BYU's 1984 National Championship exposed the then system of writers and coaches polls for what it was; a sham as well. It was replaced by an even bigger sham, the BCS. I am confident that within the next 5 years (as these conference TV contracts expire), there will be 8 conferences in D1 which will encompass ALL D1 teams, so no team is left out. And a defacto 16 team playoff which means a fair playoff system.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by dogma:

said by footballdude:

There are eleven conferences in division one and a few of them are too small to ever field a championship football team.

You mean a small conference like the Western Athletic Conference (WAC)?

I'm sure you are too young to remember that a National Championship team came out of the WAC in 1984.

My 50th birthday is coming up in December.

I included a couple of at large teams in my scenario just for teams like BYU.