Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to HenryFarpolo

Re: [TIVO] Here comes the copy protection bit (letter)

said by HenryFarpolo:

You need to call tech support and work with a technician to get the pairing completed. The process will be fast or slow depending on the technician. Don't end the call until you get content on ch 131.

Figured it out. After they tell you your card is already activated, you then say "reactivate". (They don't tell you that in the letter.) After that it was only a few minutes until I had content on channel 131. Hopes this helps someone else.

thorhtpc

join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to cheezmo

Is channel 131 flagged as 'copy protected'? Can anyone see which bits are set.

I checked the bits on the channel this morning and they were 0x00, which is copy freely. So how are they using this channel to check if your card is paired?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Click for full size
Click for full size
It's 0x02 here.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

Ch. 131 os CCI: 0X02 on VH07.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to nothing00

Good News

Attention All Verizon FiOS TV Customers !

The 0x02 - Copy Once Byte is Only Being Applied to HBO and Cinemax !

The Rest of the FiOS TV Channels will Remain 0x00 - Copy freely.

This Information was provided by a Verizon Plus Store Representative from an internal Memo.

Enjoy !

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Thank you so much.

So basically HBO and Cinemax will look

when July 31th comes.
All scrambled. Can't watch on other devices or edit/export. This will stop piracy. Thank you Verizon.

thorhtpc

join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA
reply to icemannyr1

That's strange. I will check again tonight.

Can we see a scan of that internal memo. Not that I doubt you personally, but past experience makes me wary.

julesism

join:2001-12-12
Lewisville, TX
reply to bigdaddy

Re: Good News

(assuming this is correct) whew!

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
reply to thorhtpc

said by thorhtpc:

That's strange. I will check again tonight.

Can we see a scan of that internal memo. Not that I doubt you personally, but past experience makes me wary.

I Will try and see if the Agent will E-Mail it to me.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
reply to Grover8

Re: Good News

said by Grover8:

Thank you so much.

So basically HBO and Cinemax will look [att=1] when July 31th comes.
All scrambled. Can't watch on other devices or edit/export. This will stop piracy. Thank you Verizon.

Don't blame Verizon -- the content providers are requiring this.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Grover8

said by Grover8:

Thank you so much.

So basically HBO and Cinemax will look [att=1] when July 31th comes.

131 never looked like that before I paired my cards. I just had the cable card screen pop up.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to cheezmo

Does that mean that if you have a DVR (e.g a DVD recorder) that only uses composite or S-Video input that you will not be able to record to it, even if it's a real-time recording (i.e. not from a recording done on the FiOS DVR)?
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

anon123

@cox.net

said by Rattler:

Does that mean that if you have a DVR (e.g a DVD recorder) that only uses composite or S-Video input that you will not be able to record to it, even if it's a real-time recording (i.e. not from a recording done on the FiOS DVR)?

The S-Video output is an analog output and does not recognize the CCI Byte, which is a Digital Flag. Recordings to a DVD-R by this means will be unaffected.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Contr···ormation

A different type of Copy Protection is used for Analog sources, but it is not used very often, I do see it applied to TBS quite often though, for some odd reason.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

2 edits
reply to icemannyr1

said by icemannyr1:

Ch. 131 os CCI: 0X02 on VH07.

Channel 131 CCI Byte: is 0x00 here in my little corner of VHO6..so far. as is channel 899, HBOHD
I'm just not in a hurry to do this paring thing. Seems to me there should be some type of grandfather clause in effect here. Wishful thinking im sure.

I find the wording of the letter interesting ie, "might be affected" "may affect" .

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Do you really think HBO will allow existing CC customers to be grandfathered as copy freely? This is a network-wide change to all stand-alone CC's - it isn't possible to selectively pick and choose which CC's get changed.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

said by nycdave:

Do you really think HBO will allow existing CC customers to be grandfathered as copy freely? This is a network-wide change to all stand-alone CC's - it isn't possible to selectively pick and choose which CC's get changed.

actually no "wishful thinking" however if there are no new laws in place circumventing previous ones perhaps discussion can be made that grandfathering should be aloud (coming from a multiple TiVo owner so I'm bias but i admit it) if this much time has gone by without the change. Unless of course Vz has been in violation of existing law. Maybe Verizon should eat the billing, their mistake..also understanding that isnt going to happen.
Why has HBO waited this long to require a change in things, new contract time?

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

1 edit

I don't think it's a matter of any law involved here. It's a matter of an agreement between the content provider and the content deliverer.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

said by knarf829:

I don't think it's a matter of any law involved here. It's a matter of and agreement between the content provider and the content deliverer.

then i guess the agreement has changed. I find such things interesting. Not once in all my time with FiOS have i copied anything from HBO to my computer and doubt i have sent anything from HBO between TiVo's. The same might not be true of channels that show good concerts. It will really suck if i cant do that anymore. I will still be waiting until last minute to pair my cards, not that i have ever swapped them to anything except what they are in. I guess it would be nice to do so if you want though. I may even wait until after the deadline just to see what happens with the "may's" and "mights" of the language of the letter. I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by joe01880:

I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

The FiOS DVRs will have the same copy restrictions as the TiVo. You can still record HBO content on a TiVo. You can still stream it to other TiVos. You just can't copy it.

Unless you have Series3 TiVos (doesn't support streaming) or archive your shows to your computer, this won't even effect you. Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by Thinkdiff:

Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I've got a Series3 TiVo. Link?

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

said by knarf829:

said by Thinkdiff:

Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I've got a Series3 TiVo. Link?

+1

joe01880

Wakefield, MA
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

said by joe01880:

I dont record anything of importance this time of year anyway and my 7232 sucks but will do the job if need be.

The FiOS DVRs will have the same copy restrictions as the TiVo. You can still record HBO content on a TiVo. You can still stream it to other TiVos. You just can't copy it.

Unless you have Series3 TiVos (doesn't support streaming) or archive your shows to your computer, this won't even effect you. Even with Series3 TiVos, there are ways to make this a non-issue.

I have Tivo HD w/lifetime and a Premiere, i am also aware of options to make this a non issue which i am considering for my S3THD. I may just sell it to cover some of the cost of new unit. If this doesn't effect HDNET or Palladia it wont matter to me anyway but I'm sure its going to.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to JPL

said by JPL:

We can also look to what other providers have done as a clue. DirecTV just recently implemented the same thing on a handful of their premium channels (including HBO). My guess - they're doing this due to contractural obligation. HBO wants it, and has made it part of the deal. That's the senes I'm getting. Sort of like ABC pushing them to disasble FFWD on their VOD feeds.

U hit the nail on the head 100%....FIOS is just following its contractual obligations..

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to dosdoxies

said by dosdoxies:

I don't have any premium channels anyway.

That made me chuckle as this entire thread is about CCI protection for premium channels.....

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

said by bohratom:

said by dosdoxies:

I don't have any premium channels anyway.

That made me chuckle as this entire thread is about CCI protection for premium channels.....

But if I didn't do it, I might not get the premium channels when they have the free preview weekends. Only reason i did it.

wizziwig

@verizon.net
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

U hit the nail on the head 100%....FIOS is just following its contractual obligations..

So the fact that FIOS can now rent more STB's at $16.99+ is just a bonus for them? This change sucks for those who use older cable-card Tivo's or run non-windows HTPC's. Most will now have to cancel the premium channels (my choice) or pay monthly for more FIOS equipment.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by wizziwig :

This change sucks for those who use older cable-card Tivo's or run non-windows HTPC's. Most will now have to cancel the premium channels (my choice) or pay monthly for more FIOS equipment.

I agree with your outrage as I also have it. Only point I was trying to make is the networks are responsible for the CCI change.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to wizziwig

FiOS DVRs have the same restrictions, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. You have plenty of choices if you want to view recorded premium channels on other TVs (TiVo Series4 and WMC Extenders, to name two)
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

All the Turner cable channels already are set to Copy Once so it's not surprising they are doing the same to the TimeWarer HBO and Cinemax channels.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

said by icemannyr1:

All the Turner cable channels already are set to Copy Once

Uh, no they aren't.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0