uniqs

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to ctaranto

MVM

to ctaranto

Re: Three router setup, remote DVR not working...

said by ctaranto:

I cloned the MAC of the Actiontec to the primary router, but it refused to get an IP. I pulled power to the ONT and disconnected the battery, waiting 10 seconds, put power back on, and tried again. No IP.

You need to release the Actiontec's WAN DHCP lease BEFORE swapping it out.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?
said by ctaranto:

Actiontec
WAN IP: 98.x.y.z

What is the LAN subnet of the Actiontec? It must be different from the primary LAN subnet.
said by ctaranto:

The FAQ says to port forward these to the LAN address of the secondary router (which would be 98.x.y.1). I also tried this and it didn't work. I though port forwards were always to an address on the same subnet (ie. WAN port). Is that a typo in the FAQ or is it supposed to be the LAN (98.x.y.1) address?

The primary's LAN address and the WAN address of the secondary router are the same. 192.168.2.101 in the FAQ diagram.

The LAN IP address shown as an example in step 8 was incorrect. It has been corrected in the FAQ.
said by ctaranto:

Is the MAC Cloning thing essential to getting this to work?

No. It is a workaround in case of difficulty getting a WAN DHCP lease on the new router.
said by ctaranto:

I tried putting the Actiontec back in front of everything and it now won't get an IP with either the original Actiontec MAC or cloning the primary router default MAC. I assume I'd have to wait up to 2 hours for the lease of the current assignment to expire (or call up Verizon to kill the lease).

That's depends on whether you are able to release the WAN DHCP lease on the ASUS before putting the Actiontec back.

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto

said by More Fiber:

What is the LAN subnet of the Actiontec? It must be different from the primary LAN subnet.

The LAN of the Actiontec isn't used so I don't recall what it was.
said by More Fiber:

The primary's LAN address and the WAN address of the secondary router are the same. 192.168.2.101 in the FAQ diagram.

The FAQ diagram shows the primary LAN address to be 192.168.2.1 and the secondary WAN address to be 192.168.2.101.
said by ctaranto:

I tried putting the Actiontec back in front of everything and it now won't get an IP with either the original Actiontec MAC or cloning the primary router default MAC. I assume I'd have to wait up to 2 hours for the lease of the current assignment to expire (or call up Verizon to kill the lease).

said by More Fiber:

That's depends on whether you are able to release the WAN DHCP lease on the ASUS before putting the Actiontec back.

Releasing from the Asus didn't matter. I tried it many times to no avail. But the 2 hour waiting period did work.

I'm going to get everything working with the Actiontec as primary (again). I'll then give it a go again and see what happens.
cknoos
join:2012-06-28
River Edge, NJ

4 edits

cknoos to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Edit: removing my question as the more I read the FAQ the more I realize it needs a little cleaning up. It references missing diagrams and steps that are not longer there. I think I'll just forgo the remote DVR/Caller ID and stick with a LAN-to-WAN solution for now.

Thanks for all your work though Fiber!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to ctaranto

MVM

to ctaranto
said by ctaranto:

The LAN of the Actiontec isn't used

That's incorrect. The LAN of the Actiontec is used for the STBs via the coax (MOCA).
said by ctaranto:

The FAQ diagram shows the primary LAN address to be 192.168.2.1 and the secondary WAN address to be 192.168.2.101.

Correct. What I was trying to say was that the primary's LAN address for the secondary and the secondary's WAN address are the same. i.e. 192.168.2.101.