Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

Re: [TV] Basic FibeTV questions

said by Guspaz:

You're renovating the rooms, but it's not practical to run coax between them? Huh? Grab a drill and a studfinder, make sure you're not going to hit anything, drill a hole . . .

I agree with Guspaz.

I am puzzled though that you have no TV outlets in the apartment. Even in buildings 50 years old, TV has been installed by running coax on the outside of the building to 2 or 3 rooms. Running coax in an apartment should be relatively easy. White, Ivory & Beige coax can be inconspicuously threaded along the baseboard. If you are doing renovations it should be even easier, remove the baseboard and hide the coax behind the baseboard.

This looks too much like trying to share an Internet / TV connection with another apartment adjacent (which happens more than you might think).

Just remember this, 2 modems cannot be connected to a Bell circuit at the same time. While you may be able to alternately connect different modems to a Bell Internet circuit, the TV login requires a login that Bell doesn't give to the homeowner.

Renovate, run the coax; end.

Rick

rebmem

@rogers.com
reply to tkavan

said by tkavan :

Can the technician wire the two jacks, or whatever it is he does, so that I can move the modem-pvr-tv combination from one room to the other? In other words unplug the combination from one room, take it to the other, and plug it in there and have it work

It is definitely possible and can be done without problems. The situation is when you have a single reciever, the building is single riser, direct-dial enterphone, and the service is a dryloop.

If someone wanted to plug the modem into the bedroom jack or plug the modem into the living room jack...

The riser pair appears in the living room jack and the feeds branch of of that to the other rooms. All that has to be done is a telephone jack placed at the living room jack and a jack placed at the bedroom jack. Plain and simple. All other branches should be disconnected to avoid endtaps. A pots splitter is not nessesary in this situation as we are not dealing with voice or old style enterphone. Now the customer can move the tv+reciever+modem to either room to their hearts desire.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to tkavan

When Videotron installed my Illico service, and again when they installed my TPIA modem, both times the Videotron technician came in with a cable staple gun (the kind that doesn't pinch cables) and a big roll of cable on his shoulder, terminated one end, ran it along the tops of the baseboards for me such that it's virtually invisible, and terminated the other end. In fact, when he installed the cable modem, I wanted some flexibility in placement, so requested that he not staple the last six feet or so, and he almost seemed put out that I wasn't letting him install it perfectly neatly :P
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

tkavan

@bell.ca
reply to tkavan

Thanks to all for the help and information.
Bell tells me I can have just one jack, with others connected by coax. So that's what I'll live with!