spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ati88

join:2012-06-27

Slow Cable Internet

I have problem with my Internet speed, I'm paying for 5Mbps but after 5 min of internet usage my internet speed drop to 1.2- 1.6Mbps. I thought my old router was the culprit but this wasn't the case, when I connected my modem straight to my pc it kept dropping my internet speed. Do you guys think my modem needs to be replaced. Also do you guys think I might of went over my bandwidth cap for the month. All I do is surf the net, watch videos online and game online from time to time. My ISP is Blue Ridge (BRCTV).

TechGeek191

join:2009-06-13
Center Valley, PA

As far as I know BlueRidge doesn't throttle due to going over your cap. None of the providers served by PTD do this. The fact you directly connected your modem to your computer is a good start. I can't tell you how many customers go out and buy a new router because their internet speed is slow.

Its hard to say if its the modem or the actual service itself. What kind of modem do you have? Is it a really old one? Look in the LAC settings of the NIC card and take a look at what the link speed is. Make sure the card is set for auto negotiation. If the link speed detected is anything below 100Mbps I'd consider upgrading it to one of the newer ones.

You can try swapping out the modem to see if that helps at any one of the walk in centers. If you do end up doing that you'll know if its the service or not. Also, try another computer and run a speed test, don't just rely on one computer to give you cart blanche.

When are you running these speed test? Is it during prime time (5pm-1am)? Try running the speed test at different times.

ati88

reply to ati88

The modem I"m using is Webstar dsc 2100 docsis 2.0. I contacted my internet provider and they said I'm getting a-lot of packet loss. I tested the modem on my laptop and I'm getting the same problem, where my speeds are dropping rapidly, within 1 hour of modem hard reset the speeds drops down to 1.5Mbps. The tech said I should be getting 80% of the speed I pay for. Should I just go out and buy a new modem cause I don't have spare modem at home to test.

TechGeek191

join:2009-06-13
Center Valley, PA

Packet loss usually relates to the service provided and a signal problem. Not usually the modem. I wouldn't purchase a new modem at all. You can swap one out free of charge at any BRC walk in center.

If you don't have the time to swap it out have a tech come out and check the line. If the modem is owned by you then BRC isn't on the hook to come out and replace it for you. So you may be charged for a service call if the technician comes out and doesn't find anything wrong.

You are in a tough spot if you actually own the modem yourself. I'm not sure if you can get another modem from BRC if you own yours. If you want to avoid a service charge then I would consider switching out the modem. If BRC owns the modem just demand a technician to come out and they should figure out if its a signal problem or a modem issue.

You should log into the modems diagnostic page and see if the signal levels are within spec.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

Usually you can get into your cable modem by entering into the address bar of your web browser: 192.168.100.1 or the default gateway found in the details portion of your local area network connection.

However, those signal levels don't give the entire picture if there is a signal fault. The technicians have specialized equipment that can see beyond just the signal levels provided by a modem or cable box.

ati88

reply to ati88

I found out what was causing the problem, it was the 2-way splitters I use to connect my other TV's to the main line. What kind of splitter should I get so that it doesn't kill my speed by a-lot. I'm using 3 connections, what splitter would be best for this setup. The brand I'm using now RMS and Extreme Engineering. Both are -3.5db on both ports and I'm using two of them, my internet cable goes into the first splitter.

ati88

reply to ati88

I spoke to soon, same problem with speed dropping rapidly. I modem directly connected to pc without using splitter.

ati88

reply to ati88

I had the tech come out today to see why my speeds were low, he told me the modem needed to be replaced. He tested my cable lines and everything came back fine. So I purchased the Motorola SURFboard SB101U, hooked it up, called my isp to get it activated and find out that my speeds are still low. I forgot to say that he also replaced the two 2-way splitters with one 3-way splitter. With all the new changes right now I'm getting around 3.11Mbps w/o using the splitter and just connecting both cable lines using a coax connector. When I run it with the splitter I get even worse speeds around 1.6-2.2Mbps. My house was built in 1988 and the cable lines are RG59. Should he have upgraded the cable line to RG6?

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Around here, we do not like any digital service on rg59 if avoidable.

There are many variations of rg59, from junk antenna, clear plastic, copper braid to good and digital worthy rg59. Are the fittings hex crimped or compression (full 360 seal) on the 59?

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to ati88

Although not ideal, decent RG59 that's in good shape with decent connectors should be able to handle basic HS internet up to 20Mbps easily.

Jabbu's comment about the hex crimp is spot on… crimp connectors are terrible. In terms of splits, etc, your internet line should get priority (with the lowest amount of loss). It sounds to me like you may have low/ intermittent signal issues.

Did the Tech seem decent? I only ask because sometimes you wind up with that dud of a dude that goes through the motions, but isn't really looking. Sometimes a repeat Service Call is required.

How much does it cost to have a new line wired in? We only charge $50.00 flat rate up here, and it would guarantee that your line is ok. Have you enquired with Blue Ridge?
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"