how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fibrepunk

join:2005-01-30
Alhambra, CA
reply to TheTechGuru

Re: Charter is Getting Rid of PowerBoost (SpeedBoost)

Ubee DS3.0 - from Charter with 30/4 plan.

or

Balplanman

join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298

Re: [Speed Issues] PowerBoost (SpeedBoost) Outage?

said by 88615298:

So you don't have powerboost. It didn't do much anyways other than to overinflate a speed test results. Was 3-10 seconds of powerboost really going to do anything?

Powerboost works when browsing -- most websites load in under 4 seconds so they load at full speed, no throttling.
So yes, PowerBoost is helpful to most people.

On Charter's end, they put you into a 4 second queue so they don't incur any throttling overhead until that expires. If you're still downloading after 4 seconds you go into a much faster throttling queue which means more overhead processing on their end. So, it's probably a good thing from Charter's point of view also.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Balplanman:

Powerboost works when browsing -- most websites load in under 4 seconds so they load at full speed, no throttling. So yes, PowerBoost is helpful to most people.

If your website loads that fast powerboost won't matter. Sure you can travel 1/4 of a mile faster in car going 75 MPH than one going 25 MPH but how much time did you actually save? Not much.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Click for full size
powerboost workin for me..
said by 88615298:

said by Balplanman:

Powerboost works when browsing -- most websites load in under 4 seconds so they load at full speed, no throttling. So yes, PowerBoost is helpful to most people.

If your website loads that fast powerboost won't matter. Sure you can travel 1/4 of a mile faster in car going 75 MPH than one going 25 MPH but how much time did you actually save? Not much.

indeed.

Most websites are under 2MB. On 30mbps service without speed boost, a normal website can load in about 600ms. On connections above 5mbps, latency is the bigger factor in how quickly we perceive websites to load.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
reply to TheTechGuru

Just got a 24 meg down / 4.96 meg up speedtest on a 15 meg plan.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by BlakePaulson:

Its been scrubbed from their residential site, so they likely will not be offering it anymore. Its still on their business site, but i think that will be getting scrubbed soon too.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to TheTechGuru

ACTIVE HERE!!!

ChrtrFanBoy6

join:2012-07-02

1 edit
reply to TheTechGuru
If they remove it oh well, its for the better of the charter community.

luv you Charter

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

said by BlakePaulson:

Its been scrubbed from their residential site, so they likely will not be offering it anymore. Its still on their business site, but i think that will be getting scrubbed soon too.

been told by bussnuss rep that they will keep it on bussnuss side since bussnuss customers already pay more

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
What's a "bussnuss"?

said by zed260:

said by Chubbysumo:

said by BlakePaulson:

been told by bussnuss rep that they will keep it on bussnuss side since bussnuss customers already pay more

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
said by compuguybna:

What's a "bussnuss"?

meant business sorry

mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC
working here 30meg plan.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
reply to TheTechGuru
Still working in NC on 30/4 tier...

Peak Download speed was 62.32Mbps - Upload is usually 4.20 Mbps, however some upload activity was occurring causing a slight slowdown.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to TheTechGuru

Just curious, I may have missed you mentioning this in the thread... Have you or are you speed testing with a direct hookup to your modem?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by DrDrew:

Just curious, I may have missed you mentioning this in the thread... Have you or are you speed testing with a direct hookup to your modem?

That does not make one bit of difference when you're on a gigabit LAN like I am.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
said by TheTechGuru:

said by DrDrew:

That does not make one bit of difference when you're on a gigabit LAN like I am.

It certainly could if you have QoS enabled. If you do, try disabling it. If that doesn't work, try what has already been suggested... bypass the router to test and see if it's screwing with PB.

You might already be aware of this, but if you change the device your modem is connected to, I believe you first need to power cycle the modem, then connect your PC and let it get an address via DHCP. Just try it and see what happens. It's worth a shot!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

For a whole host of reasons (QoS, traffic filtering, congestion, etc.), yes it can. The EASIEST way to make sure something on your LAN isn't affecting your speed results is to directly connect to the modem and test.

Is it really that difficult or time consuming to try? For a "certified" network guru like yourself I'm surprised you haven't tried it, it should be easy...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to bshelly
said by bshelly:

It certainly could if you have QoS enabled.

I have read umpteenth complaint threads on many boards about how Charter sucks and speeds aren't advertised only for these same people to come back latter and admit that this was their issue and after turning off QoS their speed issues were fixed. I also don't ever recall anyone apologizing to Charter either.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

said by TheTechGuru:

For a whole host of reasons (QoS, traffic filtering, congestion, etc.), yes it can. The EASIEST way to make sure something on your LAN isn't affecting your speed results is to directly connect to the modem and test.

Is it really that difficult or time consuming to try? For a "certified" network guru like yourself I'm surprised you haven't tried it, it should be easy...

Nothing has changed with the router that would affect it and I do not have QOS enabled.

It's not so simple to go connect directly when it's in a network closet.

I do get 640mbps (80MB/sec) from a server on my LAN.
--

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to TheTechGuru

QOS is not generally enabled by default in routers (at least in NETGEAR is isn't). You'd have to manually click it on, usually for a specific purpose.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru
has anyone ever wondered how much bandwidth is wasted doing speedtests?

I "generally" don't go speedtest crazy unless my webpages are crawling or my downloads are slowed than i'm used to....The I begin troubleshooting......

I think sometimes people obsess about what their bandwidth speed is, even though what ever it currently is....is more than enough to accomplish the task......

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

2 edits
reply to TheTechGuru

Have you verified thoughput on either modem or router WAN port? Often LAN traffic on a router just passes through the internal switch and doesn't get processed by the router engine. A problem with the WAN port, router engine, or router config may not show on LAN to LAN traffic.

For all we know a power surge may have damaged the WAN link between the modem and router in some way. Äny other number of things can have affected the WAN link, modem, or router throughput.
Without testing it's just an assumption that everything is good, undamaged, and properly configured.

You know what they say about assuming... It'd better to test and be sure.

Use your laptop, walk over to the modem, plug in and reset the modem. Then test.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

QOS is not generally enabled by default in routers (at least in NETGEAR is isn't). You'd have to manually click it on, usually for a specific purpose.

And yet so many had speed issues with Charter and blamed Charter because they somehow forgot they had QoS turned on. Weird.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
reply to compuguybna
Yep, not enabled.

--

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by compuguybna:

And yet so many had speed issues with Charter and blamed Charter because they somehow forgot they had QoS turned on. Weird.

Yes,
QoS could be an issue, but how many people restrict the download speed through that? That is just about always used to manage the upload speed, as is mine. I should almost never get above 2.80 Mbps on upload.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/1716319761.png
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru
Anyone ever thought looking about the properties of their NIC on the computer end????

LOTS of properties there that could potentially slow down traffic....

words like "prioritization", "green ethernet", "QOS", "jumbo frame", "flow control", "priority offload", "power management".

Anyone of those things could affect speeds.

I turned off the power management, green ethernet....I don't want my NIC going to sleep at all.

Of course, be careful what you enable/disable......but the router isn't always the culprit I don't believe!!

I have the REALTEK PICe Gigabit Integrated Network Interface.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
reply to TheTechGuru
Realtek Gigabit seems to have a need to be tweaked:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G8X34bud4o

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
Those are the exact two things I said turn OFF with the Realtek Gigabit lan chip. (before the video was even posted)...good video though!

"I turned off the power management, green ethernet...."

said by lineofsight:

Realtek Gigabit seems to have a need to be tweaked:

(youtube clip)

Premium
West Tenness
reply to TheTechGuru
Still have it here

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru
Too bad we're not in Japan (dreamhost.com)