dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

There IS a normal desktop in Windows 8. Metro "doesn't get in your way" at all - I don't get that part. The only time I see Metro UI is when I want to load software like Microsoft Office 2010 or Paint.NET or QuickBooks or VirtualBox or 29782739479234 Windows software out there. That's it. That's the ONLY time I see the Metro - it doesn't pop up in front of me by it self. Hell you can forgo ALL metro apps by unpinning ALL the apps on the start screen so it'll look blank - then you can pin whatever your favorite applications. So when you hit WIN key or move mouse to start corner and click - you'd see a full screen with all your favorites applications for you to click on. You click on one of the tile, the metro will disappear and go straight to desktop to load the windows application without delay.

The notification is actually a balloon that pops up on top right corner of your screen in desktop and metro then disappear a short time later all by it self - you can click on it to go to that application. You can turn that off as well.

Why don't you sit down and use/learn it on your machine? Actually learn why MS did that instead of reading what other people says - it makes sense to me.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by Razzy:

There IS a normal desktop in Windows 8. Metro "doesn't get in your way" at all - I don't get that part. The only time I see Metro UI is when...

You are trying to get us to pretend the UI doesn't exist or with a wave of our hand goes away. If any of that was true, Microsoft wouldn't be promoting/selling/pushing it in everything we see. And no regular user is going to attempt to make Win8 behave differently than out of the box.
Razzy

Razzy

LOL dude, I didn't say it doesn't exist. The Metro start screen is ALSO the desktop's start menu.

Like my friend said "It's like Mac OS X's mission control had sex with Android widgets and gave birth to this".
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Razzy

Premium Member

to Razzy
How can I sit down and learn it when I currently have an XP Pro SP2 machine? I have to just read about it. I was able to do the Windows 7 public beta on a virtual machine so I know something about it. I had to immediately add third partly applications to get it to work as all previous Microsoft OS from 95 on through Vista have worked (classic mode). I don't even like Win 7 without third party applications so I can't imagine wanting Win 8 as my understanding is that you cannot use Classic mode on Win 8. You can on Win 7 but it was a hassle to do so with the public beta. Again, just from reading, I gather it became a bit easier with the release version. But I still face a lot of fixing of Win 7 to have it like all previous versions of Windows GUI wise.

I don't believe that Win 8 allows one to fix it. Microsoft has broken free of classic mode with Win 8 as far as I have read and I cannot test that for myself on this XP machine. I want Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced Display/Item List and there I configure Windows display and buttons as I want everything. I think Microsoft removed this in Win 8. In Win 7 public beta it was accessible ONLY from Accessibility type themes until I was able to force Win 7 to let me make my own theme and forced use of Item list. Win 7 kept trying to force me to use Accessibility special themes if I wanted the Advanced Display properties/Items list. Drove me nuts but I heard that changed with the final release version of Win 7. I also heard that classic display is completely gone from Win 8. Maybe that is not true but I can't test any of this on my XP computer. Nor can I test Win 8 on a virtual machine on VMWare Workstation 7 that I have as it won't work on it.
Razzy

Razzy

said by Mele20:

How can I sit down and learn it when I currently have an XP Pro SP2 machine? I have to just read about it. I was able to do the Windows 7 public beta on a virtual machine so I know something about it. I had to immediately add third partly applications to get it to work as all previous Microsoft OS from 95 on through Vista have worked (classic mode). I don't even like Win 7 without third party applications so I can't imagine wanting Win 8 as my understanding is that you cannot use Classic mode on Win 8. You can on Win 7 but it was a hassle to do so with the public beta. Again, just from reading, I gather it became a bit easier with the release version. But I still face a lot of fixing of Win 7 to have it like all previous versions of Windows GUI wise.

I don't believe that Win 8 allows one to fix it. Microsoft has broken free of classic mode with Win 8 as far as I have read and I cannot test that for myself on this XP machine. I want Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced Display/Item List and there I configure Windows display and buttons as I want everything. I think Microsoft removed this in Win 8. In Win 7 public beta it was accessible ONLY from Accessibility type themes until I was able to force Win 7 to let me make my own theme and forced use of Item list. Win 7 kept trying to force me to use Accessibility special themes if I wanted the Advanced Display properties/Items list. Drove me nuts but I heard that changed with the final release version of Win 7. I also heard that classic display is completely gone from Win 8. Maybe that is not true but I can't test any of this on my XP computer. Nor can I test Win 8 on a virtual machine on VMWare Workstation 7 that I have as it won't work on it.

See bold? That barely exist in my world.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

?? You mean reading and listening hardly ever happens in your world?
Razzy

Razzy

said by Mele20:

?? You mean reading and listening hardly ever happens in your world?

Like half of the times, it does. Most are just bullshit.