how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ackerchez

@xx.net.il

Question about wiring up Vonage to house

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about how I can get Vonage to work in my home. I have all the wires from my jacks coming back to one central location in my home (thankfully near the Vonage box) and I need to splice all 6 sockets together and then to a wire to form a male out which I can plug into the Vonage box.

All the wires from the sockets in the rooms of my house are the same colors (white, light blue, orange, white) except for one wire which is red, green, black, and yellow. I was thinking that I should join up all the wires that are the same colors and then join the red and green to the blue and orange wires respectfully. Can anyone shed some light on the correct way to go about this?

Thanks!

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Ackerchez :

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about how I can get Vonage to work in my home. I have all the wires from my jacks coming back to one central location in my home (thankfully near the Vonage box) and I need to splice all 6 sockets together and then to a wire to form a male out which I can plug into the Vonage box.

All the wires from the sockets in the rooms of my house are the same colors (white, light blue, orange, white) except for one wire which is red, green, black, and yellow. I was thinking that I should join up all the wires that are the same colors and then join the red and green to the blue and orange wires respectfully. Can anyone shed some light on the correct way to go about this?

Thanks!

I suggest that you use a meter (and maybe a magnifying glass) to check the wiring, because your "red and green to the blue and orange wires" is not typically how telephone jacks are wired. More typically, the red-green pairs correlates to the blue-white pairs, and yellow-black pairs correlates to the orange-white pairs). Of course, the actual colors don't matter (except as a matter of convenience to be able to easily identify the wires), what is important is that the line 1 pairs (the two middle pins in the jack) are wired the same everywhere (and the same applies to the line 2 pairs (the two pins next to the two middle pins).

»www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx

Also, be absolutely sure that you have disconnected the in-house telco wiring from the telco interface. Not doing that will at the very least keep things from working, and it might even smoke the Vonage adapter's telco interface.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower