Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheGrimm

join:2005-04-21
Mississauga, ON

[Extreme] New data caps and need for new Modem

Hi All,

I was hoping if someone could confirm something for me.

I've been a Rogers customer for a very long time. From day one I've had the Extreme internet package which eventually was limited to a data cap of 95GB. A few months back I noticed that they had bumped the data cap up to 100 and now 120GB however my account remained limited to 95GB. During that time I had exceeded the 95gb cap but I had never exceeded 100GB and given my accidental discovery of the plans cap increase I immediately called Rogers to get some clarification and of course a credit. Long story short, they did credit me for the over charge for 2 of the 3 months I told them about (the lack of credit for the third month is still a sore subject for me) but no one could tell me when my account would be adjusted for the new data cap... so I poked them and I prodded them until "someone" from their "engineering" group indicated that in order for me to receive the current data cap I would need a newer modem... can anyone confirm for me that is indeed the case? I really don't feel like giving Rogers an extra $100 for what is becoming substandard service. I'm tired of being over charged and squeezed at every turn.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

Hahah, Rogers are such scammers.

Don't purchase the modem. There is absolutely no correlation between the type of modem and the size of your cap.

They are just using this as an opportunity to get you to upgrade your modem. You should keep calling back until they do it for you without an upgrade.

BTW what modem are you using?

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TheGrimm

You don't need a new modem for data. The only reason you would require a new modem is for possible new faster speeds.

My suggestion, drop Rogers and go with an IISP. I recently switched from Rogers to Start.ca. Start offered the same speed with a 300GB cap for less money. Easy to switch.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to TheGrimm

said by TheGrimm:

so I poked them and I prodded them until "someone" from their "engineering" group indicated that in order for me to receive the current data cap I would need a newer modem... can anyone confirm for me that is indeed the case?

If you're using an old Docsis 2 modem, that is indeed the case. But as others have pointed out, it's a business requirement, not a technical one.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheGrimm

You might be interested in this thread too since it deals with the same issues for Express!

»[Express] Rogers express 80gb cap?

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to bbhog

said by bbhog:

=

They are just using this as an opportunity to get you to upgrade your modem. You should keep calling back until they do it for you without an upgrade.

This has been discussed many types. No matter how many times you ask or how persistent you are, Rogers will not budge. This is a system enforced rule, therefore IT will have to re-code the billing and provisioning system to support higher usage caps with D2 modems. This will not happen unless they get the green light from people at the VP level. If you're not happy about this business decision, I suggest you cancel as that is the only way they'll learn.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to TheGrimm

there is only so much capacity on Docsis2.0 network and they will not increase it's capacity. so there is a technical reason behind it.

if you don't want to spend extra money on a newer modem, then don't and keep your current speeds.

bt

canada

said by jmck:

there is only so much capacity on Docsis2.0 network and they will not increase it's capacity. so there is a technical reason behind it.

False.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

if you don't want to spend extra money on a newer modem, then don't and keep your current speeds.

It's NOT a money issue. It's NEVER been a money issue. It's an equipment issue. SMC gateways are horrible. It's all over the Net. Their wireless capabilities are almost non existent. They break down. People can't set them up. They're hideous.
The Ciscos are refurbs. And Rogers won't sell them anyways. Who in their right mind is going to rent a refurbed Cisco for $7.91 wtax/month forever. They're only worth $149.95 new and a refurb is worth half that. Do the math.
There's thousands of us that would gladly purchase a quality standalone D3 modem or a High quality D3 Gateway BUT all Rogers will sell us is junk.
Some of you folks need to think about it. You're paying sky high rates to Rogers for your super fast internet and substandard Gateways and somehow you've convinced yourself you're getting a good deal.
Me, I live in the real world. I know when I'm getting ripped off.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Exactly elitefx. It is precisely the reason why I stick with my D2 SB5100 modem and my own Linksys E2500 router. They are both rock solid. I do not suffer from dropped connections and have no problems with wireless range anywhere in the house. Besides the SB5100 modem is capable of 38 Mbps downstream, and 30 Mbps upstream data rate, which is sufficient for any Rogers plan except for Ultimate. On top of that, the usage allowances have absolutely nothing at all to do with what kind of modem you use.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

said by Hooter:

Besides the SB5100 modem is capable of 38 Mbps downstream, and 30 Mbps upstream data rate,

Capable, perhaps. But Rogers won't provision them past 10/1.

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON

This is one of the prime reasons why I dropped Rogers Internet this spring after like 14 years as a customer. Their grandfathered "extreme" plan is a horrible value - and then they had the nerve to bump up the price. But then to get what you're actually paying for in transfer allowance and speeds, they expect you to rent an overpriced modem on top of everything.

So... I switched to TSI Cable (still Rogers). Sure, I had to buy a modem (one-time, and cheap). Sure, I'm paying a bit more than I was for "extreme"... but 28mbit truly unlimited is amazing! I no longer worry about what I'm watching, what I'm downloading, or when I'm doing it. And despite some of the complaints about TSI cable speeds, I have *no* issues in Markham getting a steady 3.34 megabytes per second.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by jmck:

False.

how is that false? are you saying they are interested in increasing Docsis 2.0 network capacity? do you believe there is an infinite amount of capacity?

bt

canada

said by jmck:

said by bt:

said by jmck:

False.

how is that false? are you saying they are interested in increasing Docsis 2.0 network capacity? do you believe there is an infinite amount of capacity?

No, I'm saying network capacity is measured in speed, not in monthly transfers.

And I'm also saying that there is no "Docsis 2.0 network". There is connecting to the Rogers network with Docsis 2.0, or with Docsis 3.0. But other than the user's modem, it's the same network.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits

said by bt:

And I'm also saying that there is no "Docsis 2.0 network". There is connecting to the Rogers network with Docsis 2.0, or with Docsis 3.0. But other than the user's modem, it's the same network.

Agreed 100%. Like I said before, some of these uninformed souls dream up reasons to convince themselves that Rogers is this wonderful, selfless, all knowing entity that has nothing but their customer's best interests at heart.
It's been stated on a 1000 sites by the top IT pros on the planet that this "network capacity/bandwidth limitation/overcongestion" issue is a complete myth. Docsis 2 is good for up to 28/1 guaranteed and getting anything less for your hard earned dollars is a rip...