how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH

Xfinity with TiVo Premiere XL4

Does anyone have the TiVo Premiere XL4 with the Comcast cablecard? It seems pretty pricey but their new guide might be worth the money. Comcast doesn't seem to be in a hurry for any existing customers to get their new X1 platform, which supposedly is available in Greater Boston but yet no one seems to have it yet. If you have the TiVo Premiere XL4 with Comcast cablecard, can you confirm that you can record 4 shows at once?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

in a hurry? going from a alpha version software to fullblown deployment doesnt happen in 2 months..
--
I'm better than you!

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to NHHD99

Yes it can record 4 programs at once.
--
Caddy

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to NHHD99

Yes, 4 shows at once. In fact, the natural state of the TiVo is for "suggestions" to be turned on. So a few days in, I had 80 shows in that folder. I realized it 'cause all 4 record lights were on when I knew I only had one recording. It was working on suggestions. Simple menu choice, turned it off.

And the XL4 has VOD rolling out. That also works well after Comcast properly pairs the cable card.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

I thought the Comcast Tivo VOD agreement was IP transmission only? aka used the internet not a QAM channel

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by neufuse:

I thought the Comcast Tivo VOD agreement was IP transmission only? aka used the internet not a QAM channel

I'd be happy to look into this, how would I tell which method is used? All I know is that it's a menu item on the TiVo now, and seems to work well so far. My area is up and running with it.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

*scratches head* well start a VOD video and disconnect the coax cable, if its IP then the video will keep playing, if its coax, if the tivo has a 3-10 second buffer, after that the video will stop

do you have to enter a comcast username / pass into the tivo to watch VOD? I don't have the newest Tivo box yet so I'm not seeing it on my current tivo's

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by neufuse:

*scratches head* well start a VOD video and disconnect the coax cable, if its IP then the video will keep playing, if its coax, if the tivo has a 3-10 second buffer, after that the video will stop

do you have to enter a comcast username / pass into the tivo to watch VOD? I don't have the newest Tivo box yet so I'm not seeing it on my current tivo's

? Did I really ask that? I've spent 6 hours in the last week reading screens off the cablecard setup, so my brain is fried. Yes, it's IP. I started a show, pulled the ethernet cable and show stopped, error message came on.

No entering anything, the paired card identifies you, and your account has to be authorized for VOD, through the billing department it seems.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

start a VOD video and disconnect the coax cable, if its IP then the video will keep playing, if its coax, if the tivo has a 3-10 second buffer, after that the video will stop

Ok. Now I'm really scratching my head. Back to VOD, I pull the coax and it stops. It needs both connections to run. I am betting the stream itself is over the coax, since that's how their boxes do it. I'm not running any local router meter SW else I'd check that to see if the traffic is there.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to gar187er

Lets put it this way, It's taken TiVo YEARS to get the Premiere to a full HD interface and to use both cores of the processor, I wouldn't put it past anyone to get this accomplished in our lifetime.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

would of taken them longer if they didn't ditch the custom programmed UI and just use a embedded flash based UI.. spead up their development drastically... only bad thing was of course the fact it didn't at first use both cores of the broadcom chip they use

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Lets put it this way, It's taken TiVo YEARS to get the Premiere to a full HD interface and to use both cores of the processor, I wouldn't put it past anyone to get this accomplished in our lifetime.

and it still not as fast as the sd menus
--
Caddy

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by Caddyroger:

and it still not as fast as the sd menus

I flipped my 2 series 4 TiVos back to SD menus. Much faster, and I don't miss the active window playing the show while I'm in the menu. No usage meter, but that's ok, too.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Caddyroger

Yeah

Kathygnome

join:2012-05-22
reply to NHHD99

We recently replaced our Comcast DVR with a regular Premiere + an HD extender (we already had this left over from our DirecTV days). We we were kind of unsure about it, but it's just a fantastic change for the better.

The only negative is the TIVO netflix and youtube apps are total garbage compared to our Roku.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:8
reply to NHHD99

BTW - There is a short review (and a quick video demo) of Comcast's latest TiVo service on the Premiere models on today's Boston Globe site:

Comcast's TiVo isn't the ultimate, but it's close
By Hiawatha Bray, The Boston Globe - July 12, 2012
»www.boston.com/business/technolo···ble_box/

NHHD99

Hampton, NH
reply to NHHD99

The article in the Boston Globe leaves out the main advantage to the Premiere XL-4 in that it allows you to record 4 shows at once, which is a big advantage to anyone who has juggled what shows to record and when. The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by NHHD99:

The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

I bought my first VHS recorder in 1981. $800. With inflation, that's nearly $1900 in today's dollars. I was a college student with more money than brains it would seem.
I just bought the XL4, $750 including lifetime service.

It's interesting to see how we'd value a product. The dual tuner goes for 50-100, or about $450-$500 with service (assuming an upgrade, current owners can get lifetime for $400.)
The benefit of twice the tuners with no extra outlet fee and cheaper than two machines, seems a bargain to me.

By the way, the other interesting feature is if you have two Premieres, you can watch from the other box, streaming, and delete at the end of the show. (Or delete remote box as you wish.) I find this a useful feature.

To your point, I wonder if $299 is a tipping point that gets more attention, any higher price looking a bit high?

NHHD99

Hampton, NH
reply to NHHD99

Can you have a "anyroom" DVR setup using the Tivo XL4 in one room and a separate Comcast supplied DVR in another room?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by NHHD99:

Can you have a "anyroom" DVR setup using the Tivo XL4 in one room and a separate Comcast supplied DVR in another room?

The Comcast supplied DVR will not be able to view shows recorded on the TiVo XL4 and the TiVo XL4 will not be able to view shows recorded on the Comcast supplied DVR. You would only be able to view shows on the DVR that recorded the show. For "anyroom" DVR use, you would need specific "anyroom" DVRs from the same company either all TiVos or all Comcast DVRs.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

NHHD99

Hampton, NH
reply to NHHD99

After deciding not to wait for the new X1 platform to be released, I picked up a Tivo XL-4 on Sunday and a cablecard on Monday. Set everything up Monday night and all went smooth. It took the Tivo about 1.5 hrs to update everything via the internet. Called the dedicated Comcast Cablecard activation line and after being on hole for about 10 minutes everything went well. It ended up taking about the whole 1.5 hrs for the Cablecard to start showing channels but it seems to be working well too. The Xfinity onDemand Icon did not appear at first but after doing a forced connection fto the Tivo servers to update again and leaving it for the night, it was available and working this morning. Picture quality looks better than the older Comcast Motorola box and the on screen guide is MUCH better, showing lots more info and for about 2 weeks into the future. So far, so good!

NHHD99

Hampton, NH
reply to Russ6

Does anyone know of a Tivo remote control short cut that will take you directly to the "To Do List" without having to go through a couple different menus?

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Googled this for you...

»support.tivo.com/app/answers/det···_id/1709

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Caddyroger

*throws hands up and gives up*

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to NHHD99

said by NHHD99:

The article in the Boston Globe leaves out the main advantage to the Premiere XL-4 in that it allows you to record 4 shows at once, which is a big advantage to anyone who has juggled what shows to record and when. The thing is just so expensive $350+ on most websites, it's really too bad that it wasn't a little less expensive.

Looks like you may have just got your wish - there is an item on the Zatz Not Funny blog site today about TiVo getting ready to release a new "Premiere 4" (no "XL") model that has 4 tuners like the XL4, but only a 500GB hard drive (like the "Premiere 2" two-tuner model), and that is rumored to be priced at only $250:

TiVo Preps New Four Tuner Premiere 4
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - August 8, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-08/new···miere-4/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

The new TiVo "Premiere 4" four-tuner model was officially announced today:
»pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···-0920347

The Premiere 4 page on TiVo's site: »www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-4.do

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by telcodad:

»pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···-0920347

The Premiere 4 page on TiVo's site: »www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-4.do

It just a renamed Elite with a smaller hard drive.
--
Caddy

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

said by Caddyroger:

said by telcodad:

It just a renamed Elite with a smaller hard drive.

Yes, the old "Premiere Elite" model was renamed the "Premiere XL4" (»support.tivo.com/app/answers/det···_id/2295).

This new "Premiere 4" (without the "XL" suffix) model has 4 tuners like the XL4, but only 500GB of recording capacity (vs. 2TB), so it can sell for the reduced price of $250 (vs. $400) for those people who mostly just timeshift and don't save many programs long-term on their DVRs.

EDIT: Looking at the specs comparision page on the Premiere models -»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premi···ecs.html - the "Premiere 4" also cuts costs by coming with only a "standard remote" (vs. a "Glo Premium backlit remote") and not being "THX Certified" (and supplied with "THX optimizer glasses") like the XL4.

NHHD99

Hampton, NH
reply to NHHD99

Does anyone know how to get the Tivo guide to stop having "To Be Announced" on several channels? Most channels are fine and have all the program information but there are a few that always say "To Be Announced". Some of these channels have all the information on their SD channel # but the HD # version of it will say "To Be Announced" and vice versa. I've only had the Tivo for about a month and I thought at first the program information would load in over time, but it never has.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

That's a guide issue that you have to report to Tivo, they will then follow up with Tribune to get it corrected.

You could also rerun guided setup with a different zip code in your area to refresh everything, sometimes that works.